Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM

210 posts, read 843,076 times

Advertisements

I wonder whether the "big one" is going to hit the bay area of LA first. I have a feeling that both will suffer from large earthquakes in the near future, most likely a bigger and more destructive one in the bay, it is more of an earthquake hot zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,376,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How true that is. I only worry about things that I can control anyway. I can't control the weather, I can't control the presures that are always pushing on tectonic plates below us. I can control my debt and how I handle it.
YAY!!! I really support people who help me spread the word about the importance of personal responsibility. THANKS!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,031,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
It makes more sense to be afraid of credit card debt than earthquakes. An earthquake may cause you some damage in the future. Credit card debt is guaranteed to damage you.
That's the best answer ever.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM

293 posts, read 890,397 times
Talking Hmmmmmmm

We'll, you don't have to worry about credit card debt once the pile of rubbles buries you in the floor.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,376,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
We'll, you don't have to worry about credit card debt once the pile of rubbles buries you in the floor.
That's not at all true. If you are buried in rubble, and subsequently survive, you will have to pay your credit cards. If you are buried in rubble, and subsequently die, your estate will have to pay your credit cards, and this scenario could negatively affect your spouse and children for years.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM

293 posts, read 890,397 times
Talking I stand corrected

*Looks through credit statements* Phewwwwwww!

Last edited by Mr. Mysterious; 04-20-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM

241 posts, read 936,273 times
don't know if more and more people would flock after big one happpened. If more flock probably cause of very low prices.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 430,855 times
I lived in SF during the 100 year anniversary of the 1906 quake and they were talking about the possibility of the "the big one" in SF vs. L.A. Their research (although I forget exactly what it was based upon) showed that there is a slightly greater chance that a 7.0 or larger quake will hit L.A. than SF. They also said that the severity of the damage in SF would depend because there are so many fault lines up there while in L.A. it's primarily the San Andreas. They indicated that the fault which would most likely go would be the Hayward fault which runs directly under Cal State's stadium.

During all of my time in California, I nevery got used to earthquakes. They freak me out and are nowhere near as scary as midwest storms or tornadoes (sp?).

Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
I wonder whether the "big one" is going to hit the bay area of LA first. I have a feeling that both will suffer from large earthquakes in the near future, most likely a bigger and more destructive one in the bay, it is more of an earthquake hot zone.
That's completely false. Both the Bay Area and LA have multiple major faults near by. Both could experience a 7 or greater magnitude quake at any time.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
I lived in SF during the 100 year anniversary of the 1906 quake and they were talking about the possibility of the "the big one" in SF vs. L.A. Their research (although I forget exactly what it was based upon) showed that there is a slightly greater chance that a 7.0 or larger quake will hit L.A. than SF. They also said that the severity of the damage in SF would depend because there are so many fault lines up there while in L.A. it's primarily the San Andreas. They indicated that the fault which would most likely go would be the Hayward fault which runs directly under Cal State's stadium.

During all of my time in California, I nevery got used to earthquakes. They freak me out and are nowhere near as scary as midwest storms or tornadoes (sp?).
There are some extremely dangerous faults in So Cal apart from the San Andreas system. Take for example the Newport Inglewood fault. A repeat of the 1933 quake on that fault would be a very bad deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles