Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 AM

51 posts, read 261,872 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is a law in Los Angeles county that some how restricts or bans smoking in an apartment building when that smoke makes its away into neighbors homes through the windows, forcing them to breathe in that second hand smoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is a law in Los Angeles county that some how restricts or bans smoking in an apartment building when that smoke makes its away into neighbors homes through the windows, forcing them to breathe in that second hand smoke!
Don't know the answer to that, however I hope so!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I absolutely F-ing hate that! Last summer one of my neighbors had a visitor who was smoking nonstop at all hours of the day and night right outside the balcony, one door down. That was the only window allowing air to come in, and it was hot every night, with no A/C, so I had to put a box fan in the window. The second that guy started lighting up my whole room turned into an ash tray. Smokers are always talking about their "rights," well what about our rights not to have our residences, clothes, and bodies smell like an ashtray and not get lung cancer?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Dammit I hate that crap too.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
i dont think there are any laws about smoking in residential housing. as a non-smoker who hates smoking, i would never support that kind of intrusion into the home

Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM

51 posts, read 261,872 times
i like how the government made laws banning smoking 20ft near a window or a door OF A GOVERNMENT OWNED WORKPLACE OR BUILDING, but they completely ignore RESIDENTIAL buildings?

There is a smoker around my windows some place below me, and she/he goes out to the balcony to light up like 5 times a day and screws me over! I'm sitting at home working or relaxing and then my entire condo starts reeking plus I have to breathe in the second hand smoke that made it in, before I have to interrupt what I'm doing and close the windows.

Just the fact that she goes outside of her own home to smoke should tell you something!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
i like how the government made laws banning smoking 20ft near a window or a door OF A GOVERNMENT OWNED WORKPLACE OR BUILDING, but they completely ignore RESIDENTIAL buildings?
That would be because gov't owned locations are held essentially as public property for all Americans. Your apartment building is owned by someone else. Though I also disapprove of smoking, I don't think this is an area the gov't needs to be involved in.

To all those who have concerns, why not try talking to the offending party and hashing out a compromise? Or perhaps a discussion with the landlord / property owner?

The sound of someone's music, vacuum or kids stomping around may be as much of a nuisance (even if not a health risk) and personally I would argue that the cars that blow by the front of my window cause me perpetual distress with both their noise and atmospheric pollution. All I can do is take the courses of action available to me and / or eventually find a new place. Those complaining at least have the benefit of hashing it out with their neighbors / landlords before pursuing other action.

Of course, if this is just venting and griping, then gripe away

Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I don't know of any laws preventing smokers from smoking outside on private property. Even if there were, they'd be difficult to enforce.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:25 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
2 years ago when I lived in an apartment (I rent a house now), I had a neighbor below me who smoked with her sister on their balcony. The only ventilation for the living room was the balcony sliding door and during the summer, it was maddening having to put up with the smoke.

I finally looked at my lease and it said, "No Smoking on the premises." I went to the landlord who advised me that "ordinance" was an amendment and that the people living below me moved in before that was put on the leases. I said that is unacceptable and misleading. The landlord said she knew the sisters quite well and would talk to them. Luckily, from that point on they stopped their smoking and I could finally get a nice breeze on a hot summer's day. The only downside was that we would always get a dirty look from them and they stopped saying "hi" to us.

Whatever, it was worth it.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I am wondering if their is a law that keeps someone from spraying water outside an open window with a super soaker even though a smoker is near by. Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles