Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 42,886 times

Advertisements

First off, I'd like to apologize if this thread isn't the type for this forum, but I don't really know where else to ask

I'm a high school senior, and I'm looking at two different schools as my final college choices, one of them happens to be CSU Long Beach. I'm not from the area, and a family friend has told us it's just "A Party school" but I did some googling and I found that it has some of the lowest fees in the country, but I don't know much in terms of the education I can get from there.

LA area residents, can you give me some insight to the local perspectives on CSU LB? Positive and negative are what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 AM

916 posts, read 3,686,773 times
next to san luis, Long Beach is recognized as the best CSU school. while it is fun to attend with it's proximity to belmont shore, it is academically very respectable.

Newsweek ranks it the 3rd best public masters school in the west I believe. It's engineering school is ranked in the top 50 nationally. Many other programs are strong (business, art, theatre to name a few). It has more high school valedictorians than any other university.

As far as negatives, it is a large public university and so you don't get the personal attention you would at a small private school. The education will ultimately be what you make of it. Put in a little effort and you'll get a lot back.

In short, it's a good school. I recommend living in the dorms the first year and then getting an apt with some friends after that in nearby belmont shore, downtown, or the area just southeast of the traffic circle.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,690,964 times
CSULB is not a party school. party schools in CA are San Diego State(SDSU) and Chico State(CSU Chico). there is actually very little on school housing at CSULB, so that really takes the sails out of any party effort. it's a large commuter school and typical full time students rent rooms from nearby homes, live in the coastal regions, or rent apts around the traffic circle and a few other areas.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,402,941 times
What is the other college choice and what are you interested in??? It helps to know what you are comparing CSULB against and some schools could be better than others at certain majors.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM

916 posts, read 3,686,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
CSULB is not a party school. party schools in CA are San Diego State(SDSU) and Chico State(CSU Chico). there is actually very little on school housing at CSULB, so that really takes the sails out of any party effort. it's a large commuter school and typical full time students rent rooms from nearby homes, live in the coastal regions, or rent apts around the traffic circle and a few other areas.
CSULB is getting more residential. New student rec center, more dorms being built, and even talk of an on campus fraternity row. That said, I agree most students live off campus.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,948,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKevCash View Post
First off, I'd like to apologize if this thread isn't the type for this forum, but I don't really know where else to ask

I'm a high school senior, and I'm looking at two different schools as my final college choices, one of them happens to be CSU Long Beach. I'm not from the area, and a family friend has told us it's just "A Party school" but I did some googling and I found that it has some of the lowest fees in the country, but I don't know much in terms of the education I can get from there.

LA area residents, can you give me some insight to the local perspectives on CSU LB? Positive and negative are what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!
You mention that you are a senior ... Are you anticipating beginning your studies in Fall 2009? Have you already applied to CSULB as the deadline for Fall 2009 already passed? This is one of the most impacted (competitive) schools in Southern California in terms of admissions due to the large number of applicants that they receive. Here is some useful information from CSULB's admissions website. Good luck.

http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollmen.../freshmen.html

Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 PM

12 posts, read 42,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
You mention that you are a senior ... Are you anticipating beginning your studies in Fall 2009? Have you already applied to CSULB as the deadline for Fall 2009 already passed? This is one of the most impacted (competitive) schools in Southern California in terms of admissions due to the large number of applicants that they receive. Here is some useful information from CSULB's admissions website. Good luck.

http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollmen.../freshmen.html
Yeah, I've applied and been accepted, but I'm coming from out of state (WAY out of state), and my mom, an immigrant from Taiwan, was really opposed to the idea of sending me at out of state cost to a school she hasn't heard of. Thank you for the people who gave positive feedback, i was able to show her schools aren't bad if you've never heard of them. My family lived in the LA area for a little while in the late 90s and its always been one of my goals to be able to go back

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 205,874 times
What are your in-state options?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,402,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojerine View Post
What are your in-state options?
I agree. What are we comparing CSULB to? It helps to know for comparing the options. CSULB is a good school, but then your in state school could be just as good, better, worse, etc... in a certain area of study.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM

71 posts, read 371,249 times
I went to CSU Long Beach and it is a good school. I agree that the big party schools are Chico and San Diego in the CSU system. You need to be careful where you live in off campus housing as housing costs in So Cal are so expensive, probably higher than in your home state unless it's NY or Chicago or Miami or something. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles