Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,466 times

Advertisements

I have moved out to Denver, but have just decided I miss the warm weather too much, and have grown tired of the Florida Keys's Hurricanes, so returning back there doesn't appeal. Plus I need a good place to go to school. While I'll be "pre-qualifying" out here for UCLA and possibly attending a community college for the first semester in LA, I'm thinking of attending UCLA, and using the new GI Bill to pay the way both housing wise and school wise.

I am looking for a good opinion from some people on how feasible it is to live and work near UCLA, given the neighborhoods. I would only need a part-time night job to make some extra ends meet, while the GI Bill pays a living stipend and school money. Just looking for a good reality check. While I'm sure the initial response will be, that LA's expensive, Denver isn't far behind. And the clique attitude out here makes it hard to get into a good pre-professional job. Plus the living stipend for LA is ($2200 a month) Doesn't sound too shabby for living decently there like a college student, does it?

I've never had a problem with LA, and always dreamed of it since a kid. (Who doesn't?) While it's busy and bustling, um, yah, it's a major city. The smog, traffic, and everything else, like everything else, can be adjustments. But I still see it as a world-class city that it is, a cultural center of the United States, and an experience, while the benefits last, if nothing else, I think it would be a great life experience. Am I being too idealistic? Oh and by the way, I love how Denver complains about all the California drivers...I've been to California, unless your packed, you move! Denver seems to sluggishly slide down the street...With a lot of people affected by the altitude it seems.

I have found good in Denver, But I've never been a person to settle for good....I'm more of a great person, tap your potential, that sort of thing. And I have found a good attitude will make it anywhere...Let's hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 124,794 times
$2200 a month is not bad - this is the stipend after your school is paid or is this for school tuition and rent altogether? If it's just for living expenses you can make it work, especially with a part time job. I'd suggest living close to campus in West LA - not Westwood but the areas south of Santa Monica Bl. and not having a car. The bus system to UCLA and Santa Monica College is pretty good.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

122 posts, read 539,213 times
Palms would be a good option, as well as some of the older apartments in the Sawtelle District. Another area worth looking at might be in Mar Vista. The good thing is that once admitted your Bruin Card gives you a discount on the Santa Monica Blue Bus and Culver City Green Bus (regular payment per trip is .75, after you show your Bruin Card it is discounted to .25). Both the Blue Bus and Green Line have good routes throughout the westside and many of their destinations end at UCLA (either by Murphy or by the Ackerman Student Union).

Old 04-20-2009, 03:52 PM

252 posts, read 960,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Kush View Post
$2200 a month is not bad - this is the stipend after your school is paid or is this for school tuition and rent altogether? If it's just for living expenses you can make it work, especially with a part time job. I'd suggest living close to campus in West LA - not Westwood but the areas south of Santa Monica Bl. and not having a car. The bus system to UCLA and Santa Monica College is pretty good.
Even if you keep your car (assuming you have one), you will probably want to (or have to) ride the bus to campus. Parking at UCLA is rationed and can be hard to get, and even if you do get the opportunity to buy a parking pass, they are quite expensive (nearly $200 / quarter). As P-Kush said, the bus service to UCLA is quite good, and it's inexpensive. Living on $2200 / month should be doable, if you're somewhat frugal. Your biggest expense will be rent, which will be at least $1000 to $1200 / month.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
You can live walking distance to UCLA North or South of Wilshire Blvd. There are Many, Many, Many, vacancies right now to the point where you can choose your street and almost block. I've seen some singles, 1990s construction, going for the $900 range. Some bldg owners will give you a deal to get the place rented. It's like buying a car where the dealer knows you may walk for that other model down the street.

Don't bother living more than a mile or so from campus. You will end up paying about the same price when you factor, time, gas, parking expenses.

Get yourself a part time job in the area and you will be set. There is work for those that want to work and/or dont mind being creative in what they do.
I think UCLA can even provide some avenues of opportunity.

If you are look at 2.2k per month that includes expenses outside of rent, you will be set.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
If you are looking for a "cultural smorgasbord," you'll definitely find it here! That's one of the things I really love about LA. There is always something interesting to do!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the responses and kind suggestions. Although I have decided to put it off till after the lease on my apartment is up (probably a good thing considering relocation) I am assured that I will make some good friends there. It's been a rough ride here, actually. Seems like everyone I meet is leaving!

On a good note, my plan was to get a place with a parking spot, park the truck (and save it for weekend fun) while taking the bus. Less of a footprint too. Not to mention lower miles equals more valued truck...Thanks for the great information. While it's Front Range Community this year, I do believe next Spring? or Fall it just very well may be UCLA!

Oh, and yes the living stipend is an amount given on top of school expenses. I figured with a part-time job on the side, I'd be putting money away pretty good for the Masters. Oh, and one thing I've learned, you can be broke or successful anywhere. I've seen poor in Hawaii and rich in Iowa. It's all up to you. (Tony Robbins moment)

Last edited by Ghostgecko; 04-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: forgot a part...hey I'm a writer...has to be complete

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Not to bounce back and forth, but my attitude is that with College for three years basically being a free ride once I get the living stipend, I'm tuned to the fact that I may as well live somewhere warm, exciting, and full of life.

I was lured into Denver, but don't see what I wanted here. I think I'll just continue West like I wanted to ever since I was younger. I am not naive, and don't think that life will be perfect here. But nothing that good comes easy, and I think I'll make it. One thing I've learned from travelling is that keeping it light is a good way to go.

My plan is to rotate and live pretty much in an 4 mile radius from UCLA. This way, I can find a community college (until residency- although I hear with the Chapter 33 GI BILL you don't need residency anymore) to get into to refresh and rebuild, Any good community colleges near UCLA? The neighborhood looks alright, so I would probably get a bicycle or take a bus to and from school for the most part, park the truck and save it for the store runs and weekend fun.

This truthfully has been a dream of mine since I was younger, and I really feel like Denver is quickly becoming a dead end. Not to mention, I am always pleased at the difference in demeanor of people in California, as opposed to the way they are thought to be. I find them more friendly, engaging, and full of life anyday than half of the people here I've met. It's good timing too, I've gotten familiar with Denver, but not attached. Live and learn I guess, than hit up LA...

At least, for 3 years of school...But I have a strong feeling in 3 years you can build up a life to make it anywhere...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM

122 posts, read 539,213 times
For community colleges near UCLA, the best would be Santa Monica College on Pico. It's pretty close to UCLA.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM

What about low-cost extended motels? I've found one here in Denver for $180 a week, which seems to work out decently...Is there anything like that in the UCLA area? Or would it be better to do a roommate scenario first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles