U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,981,730 times
ACTUALLY before 6 PM there is two hours of free parking in the SM city parking lots all along 4th Avenue. You can even go up on the city's site and see how many spaces are available in real time. But you are right, down ON the water is expensive. So one should try to avoid that all together and take in some waves etc for a few hours then either move your car to another lot or just go back to the same one after leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM

437 posts, read 5,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes721 View Post
I just moved to Franklin TN..........the only thing they do not have is Trader Joes...this place is beautiful..never goin back
Don't worry about that blueyes721, TJ's will make it to TN if there is the spending demographic to support it. I told my family (north of Atlanta) two years ago to hang on, TJ's is on its way. They have a bunch of TJ's now. You might want to check TJ's website every six months or so & see what's opening next.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 PM

15,120 posts, read 23,883,761 times
What do I miss about LA? I miss seeing Phantom at the Ahmanson!!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,672,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Welcome back, Sorcerer68! I'm so glad that you love so MANY things about L.A. I guess it's true that you can't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

I'm also glad that you have enough money to experience L.A. in the way you've described (and I don't mean this is a snide way). Many of those things on your list don't take much money, but let's face it, it's almost impossible to enjoy the night life, beaches, etc. around here without earning enough to have some kind of disposable income.

I'm going to print your list, by the way, and see how many of these activities/places I've already done/visited, or would like to. I've lived here all my life, and tend to take everything for granted, so thank you for opening my eyes to the possibilities of my home town! You rock!
You may not believe this but some of the fanciest things on my list (like getting tix to black tie events) I've done when my income was below 15k a year. It's all about priorities. I think Fine Dining would be the top item. I've been using the list for reference, I wrote it while I was in Hawaii and have been working my way through it again. I was overjoyed to see the street performers still at 3rd St. Promenade! I saw live music for free that night at coffee house in Culver City (killed 2 with one stone). My hometown feels awesome, I'm so glad to be home!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,672,455 times
Quote:
The beach itself is free. Parking at the beach is most definitely not free! But yes, there are a lot of inexpensive or even free things to do around here.
You can park at Redondo and Zuma (as I did today) for free, for starters...In Redndo just don't park on the Esplanade, park on the Alphabet streets.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM

192 posts, read 457,861 times
My hubby misses the mountain hikes. I miss the flowers and barefoot weather year 'round. I miss my brother and his family. We both miss the skiing at Mammoth. That's about it.

Hubby definitely does NOT miss the hour and a half commute and getting up at 4AM to beat the traffic. I definitely do NOT miss living so close to my neighbor that I hear his alarm clock buzz in the morning! I especially do NOT miss being closed in with privacy fences because the homes are so close together.

We moved to SC and have weathered our first winter. Kids still ran around barefoot. lol We have a big house, big pool, big yard and paid a LOT less. Hubby's commute is 10 minutes if he stops for coffee!

It takes a certain type of person to LOVE LA, I think. My SIL is a native to the LA area. You couldn't pay her to leave. I tried it, it was nice, it was different but I feel more 'at home' back here in the East.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:20 PM

11,738 posts, read 12,311,496 times
Quote:
Welcome back, Sorcerer68! I'm so glad that you love so MANY things about L.A. I guess it's true that you can't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

I'm also glad that you have enough money to experience L.A. in the way you've described (and I don't mean this is a snide way). Many of those things on your list don't take much money, but let's face it, it's almost impossible to enjoy the night life, beaches, etc. around here without earning enough to have some kind of disposable income.
To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of the death of cheap nightlife in LA have been greatly exaggerated. You won't find it on the Strip, in Beverly Hills, in Santa Monica, or Brentwood, and it's becoming increasingly scarce in Hollywood proper, but it does exist. The gentrification of Culver City may eventually drive me out of there due to increased housing costs but it has resulted in a decent nightlife in the area for the first time in my lifetime. Echo Park has an excellent nightlife and it's not too expensive.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
this thread is going to make me cry. i miss LA every day. i just moved to Boston and i'm insanely lonely. wish i had never left.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM

3,050 posts, read 6,749,139 times
I miss it terribly!

I miss my job.
I miss the mountains
I miss the beach
I miss the weather
I miss Disneyland
Legoland
Zoos
Museums
Hollywood Bowl
Griffith Park
Rose Parade
Diversity
Friends
Family

This is my short list and it is in no particular order.

Dawn

Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 PM

190 posts, read 627,209 times
The outdoors, the weather, the beaches, the mountains, and especially, the palm trees.

Although I read somewhere that the county wasn't going to spring for palms anymore and just plant regular old trees (ones that are actually native to SoCal).

I'm back home now (New York City), heading to Chicago in a few months, but will likely make another break for California in the not-so-distant future. I miss SoCal terribly. I got hooked the minute I arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles