U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 AM

1,134 posts, read 53,736 times
I've been in Las Vegas since 1975. We've been having L. A. style weather now for the past few weeks. Calm and 75. So strange around here to see the sun so low in the sky and have it so warm! It's still not the same though and you would have to live somewhere else for a while to know what I'm talking about. And I'm on these forums defending it every week, so, being here in Vegas so long, do I still miss it? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 AM

35 posts, read 109,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
The outdoors, the weather, the beaches, the mountains, and especially, the palm trees.

Although I read somewhere that the county wasn't going to spring for palms anymore and just plant regular old trees (ones that are actually native to SoCal).

I'm back home now (New York City), heading to Chicago in a few months, but will likely make another break for California in the not-so-distant future. I miss SoCal terribly. I got hooked the minute I arrived.
Actually, the tall "California Palms" are indigenous to California. They are the very tall, skinny palms. All others were transplanted.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM

13 posts, read 36,473 times
Palm trees, In-N-Out Burger..

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,431,735 times
Nothing.

Lived there for 4 years, moved up to just north of Seattle, WA, and can't say that I have really looked back.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Lahmahjoon (Armenian Pizza)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lahmahj...za/Detail.aspx

Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 PM

5,971 posts, read 11,940,724 times
The only thing I miss abut L.A. is FOOD:

Dimsum at Monterey Park
Authentic Greek food
Authentic Indian Food
Authentic Mexican food (fish tacos at some hole in the wall digs that is a well guarded secret in Baldwin Park)
Yamashiro's
Authentic Armenian food
Authentic Vietnamese food
Authentic Filipino food and Filipino grocery stores
Authentic Korean kimchi

Did I mention I miss the FOOD????

Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM

95 posts, read 394,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
after reading this, i'm afraid to leave to go to college somewhere.

if i ever move, it will be to FL, SC, NC, NYC, or Boston. I would probably miss the non-stop action, good beaches, everything to do within less than a days' drive, and mainly the variety of lifestyles and climates. LA appeals to people who like to live in or around mountains. it appeals to people who like hot weather. it appeals to people who like urban living. people who like suburban living. people that could'nt live without a beach.

i would miss the topography in FL since it's so flat.

now i'm reconsidering if i want to leave home or not
What colleges in Florida are you considering? I recommend UCF in Orlando if you are seriously making the move, awesome campus, good atmosphere, 45 minutes to the beach(Cocoa). Not nearly as big as LA but pretty good nightlife to satisfy a college student.

www.myspace.com/boozeitup

Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

11,876 posts, read 12,799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The only thing I miss abut L.A. is FOOD:

Authentic Greek food
That's pretty funny, because New Yorkers inevitably complain about the low quality of Greek food in L.A. (as they do with Italian and Jewish food).

My NYC born girlfriend thought that Papa Cristo's was the only Greek restaurant in LA that met the standards of the Big Apple.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,883,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgoose View Post
What colleges in Florida are you considering? I recommend UCF in Orlando if you are seriously making the move, awesome campus, good atmosphere, 45 minutes to the beach(Cocoa). Not nearly as big as LA but pretty good nightlife to satisfy a college student.

www.myspace.com/boozeitup
I don't really like Orlando. I was thinking more like USF, UNF, UM, FAU,

Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 AM

178 posts, read 402,356 times
I don't miss Orange County, however in regards to Los Angeles proper, particularly Hollywood...I miss the incredible nightlife, balmy evenings, Metropolis and Nocturna on 89.9 KCRW and the huge number of crazily handsome latino and black men. I live in Seattle now and the lack of ethnic diversity (and integration) there is fairly stunning in comparison. I am a white male BTW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles