U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM

71 posts, read 296,514 times

Advertisements

Hi! i have a neighbor that uses their trash bin to prevent other people from parking in their spot on a public street. And no, it is not trash pick up day. Is this illegal?

They even told me to move my car, but i told them i have a right to park anywhere i please and that they don't own the street.

What recourse do i have with this neighbor hogging public parking spaces?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Call LA Police Parking Enforcement (just a guess)
Call LA Dept of Sanitation (another guess)
Between those two there is probably a policy on this.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
well i usually lift the trash cans onto the side walk if there is limited parking. but i can see how it is a hastle to do that continuously.

dont know. good luck.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM

177 posts, read 400,920 times
In my city (which in an unincorporated community of LA county), you're not allowed to have the trash cans out any time before the evening before trash pickup; it's a code enforcement. So I'd definitely report them to the agencies Charles suggested, or maybe a Code/Zoning Office as well.

I hate people like that. My stupid neighbor leaves his HUGE RV in the street constantly... until he overheard us talking very loudly about how it's illegal on our block to park between 2 and 6AM (it really is!). HAHAHA. I'm so mature.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:06 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
Hi! i have a neighbor that uses their trash bin to prevent other people from parking in their spot on a public street. And no, it is not trash pick up day. Is this illegal?

They even told me to move my car, but i told them i have a right to park anywhere i please and that they don't own the street.

What recourse do i have with this neighbor hogging public parking spaces?
The street is a public right-of-way that you and I and anyone else reading this paid taxes to build, maintain, and use equally. Unless parking is prohibited there by law for maintenance (e.g. street sweeping), service (e.g. trash pickup), reasonable access (e.g. because the road is too narrow), or public safety (e.g fire hydrant), you can park there. He does not have the right to deny others 'use' of the area in question.

If it were me, I'd simply move the bin out of the way. If the neighbor asks why you did that, tell them you had to park there. What's he going to do...beat you up? I hope not...

One last thing before I forget is you neighbor may argue that you must park on your property, i.e in your driveway/garage. It is possible that the local jurisdiction prohibits parking of any kind in the street. However, this requirement has to be applied to everyone and not just you. Furthermore, it usually applies to major streets only and not small residential side streets - principally to allow the free flow of traffic. So if others park in the street then you certainly can do so as well.

Good luck and like Charles suggested, call the local jurisdiction for more info and to verify.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,899,926 times
Also, be prepared to come out to slashed tires/keyed car if you push the issue. It's horrible to think but it could happen. If I were you, I'd point a camera at your car if you start parking in "their" spot just in case something happens. But I absolutely hate people who think they own things that they don't.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM

294 posts, read 540,659 times
Talking Yeah I've done that before

I've used trashcans before to save parking, you can move it if you want, but if I catch you... Kablam!

I usually park my car in the middle and take up two parking spaces to save parking for my wife and some of my tenants, especially during trashcan days, street sweeping days, and against them hipsters using our residential areas for parking! There is a lot of local businesses in my area (movie theater, bars, restaurants, fast food joints, laundry, etc.) and the costumers tend park their cars in the residential parking zone

All I can say is sorry, first come, first serve...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 PM

2,198 posts, read 5,049,189 times
No kidding-- if you hack the wrong person off, expect to have your car keyed. Some people get absolutely insane about parking, especially in areas where parking is scarce.

I wouldn't count on getting parking enforcement out there right away. I've had people completely block my driveway, so that I couldn't even get my car out to go to work and it would be hours-- or days-- before parking enforcement got there. And they usually won't tow the car for at least 24 hours. They just give them a ticket.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,456 times
Red face Not always the fault of the person leaving the container on the street!

Here's another "reasonable side to the story"....

In the City of Los Angeles - people living in R1 neighborhooods are paying a higher price to be living away from commercial and multi residential properties, expecting lower traffic and parking problems. Also in the City of Los Angeles, our City Official's have turned a blinds eye to serious building ordinances and municipal codes occuring within these R1 neighborhoods, like allowing live in "Mental Health Treatment and "Sustance abuse treatment facilities" to move onto your street in an R1 neighborhood - then there are those running illegal business' out of there homes that bring daily traffic and parking issues to the neighborhood. People that have babies and elderly relatives are forced to park far enough away from their homes that creates problems for them as residents. Come on, how far is it to see your elderly neighbor using a walker from up the street to their own home??? Some people use their trash containers for those reasons. Yet, it's always the *******s who are breaking the law and running illegal business' from their homes that call the trash police code enforcement to complain on those who are being victimized by their illegal use of an R1 zoned neighborhood! Maybe if the City of Los Angeles enforced the building codes and zoning ordinances to protect the zoning of our neighborhoods, there wouldn't be a reason for people to find the need in preserving the parking in front of their homes!!!
Maybe the solution is to find out why there is a parking issue in your neighborhood, and while complaining about whoever is leaving their containers on the street, you might also complain to the appropriate City Officials regarding whatever the cause of the problem is in the first place!
In my own neighborhood, we have this same issue - I have never once complained about the individual running not one, but 3 separate business' out of her home, while other neighbors have complained - mostly about her concerts held in her backyard for up to 200 people on Sundays...while I have never complained about this individual myself, I have had my own trash containers on the street to preserve parking for my own use, as well as my other neighbors who are welcome to move them anytime to park in front of my house - yet I receive the complaint from Street Services for taking away public parking... well yeah, there's a parking problem here because there's 3 business' being ran from a single family residence on our street, another down the block, and a mental health treatment facility one block east - all in violation of Zoning and Code laws! If the City of Los Angeles did their job in enforcing zoning and code ordinances, then we'd all be able to live and park happily ever after! The City is responsible for creating the hostile living environments among our neighborhoods by not doing their own jobs!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM

10,491 posts, read 13,978,310 times
I would hate having to move a trash can out of the way to park. I would do it though. I just have this thing against people using a public resource for private use. The streets and parking on them that is open is and should be open to all. Will their be a problem with the neighbor? Maybe, but I can slice open a tire and key a car as easy as they can. As long as they know that maybe the problem will not be that big of problem. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles