U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 43,623 times

Advertisements

It's a love-hate relationship I have with this city I call home. I love the beach cities -- lower crime, fresher air, the beach, a cool vibe in some places. But then I hate the beach cities for what that area brings - rich/ultra-rich who feel they own the beach, roads, etc around them. NIBMYism is alive and well in this town.

LA has some of the best art shows, the best new music, and culturally, you can find anything you want every single day of the week. Every day you can get off your duff and find something interesting to do.

The bad: trying to get to said interesting place. The traffic that snarls the city is by far the worst thing about LA. It's near impossible to plan around and it's just a fact of life that you have to accept. In fact, you'll probably change your mind about going some cool little bar or dinner across town if you know that the roads to get there will be jammed.

The people are friendly out on the westside, not so much closer to downtown. Perhaps that's because downtown you're squashed in and it's just like any other large metro area...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,226 times
Default L.a. Sucks

I cannot agree with you more Evergreen. Don't listen to anybody who disagrees. L.A. SUCKS. I have been living here for 10 years. No, I am not a failed film industry person waiting tables. I have absolutely no interest in the film industry what so ever. I completely agree with you that the worst part of L.A. is the people. Of course, it's a big city and not every single person exudes awfulness, but a lot of people do. Very few people have any interest in improving the city or at least making it an inhabitable place to live. It is a huge garbage dump. The city is mostly a large ghetto that goes on for miles and miles. It is ugly, dirty, and impoverished. It has a tragic and heartbreaking homeless problem that people just ignore or pretend doesn't exist. Most people are under the illusion that it is so great and don't actually stop to look around to see the utter awfulness that is all around. The city has the most morally bankrupt values, with little interest in improving the environment or just every day quality of life. And the utter lack of a decent public transportation system is shameful. People treat intellectuals like leapers. And if I see another person with blonde highlights and a Louis Vuitton bag I am going to scream...

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,862,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateLA View Post
I cannot agree with you more Evergreen. Don't listen to anybody who disagrees. L.A. SUCKS. I have been living here for 10 years. No, I am not a failed film industry person waiting tables. I have absolutely no interest in the film industry what so ever. I completely agree with you that the worst part of L.A. is the people. Of course, it's a big city and not every single person exudes awfulness, but a lot of people do. Very few people have any interest in improving the city or at least making it an inhabitable place to live. It is a huge garbage dump. The city is mostly a large ghetto that goes on for miles and miles. It is ugly, dirty, and impoverished. It has a tragic and heartbreaking homeless problem that people just ignore or pretend doesn't exist. Most people are under the illusion that it is so great and don't actually stop to look around to see the utter awfulness that is all around. The city has the most morally bankrupt values, with little interest in improving the environment or just every day quality of life. And the utter lack of a decent public transportation system is shameful. People treat intellectuals like leapers. And if I see another person with blonde highlights and a Louis Vuitton bag I am going to scream...
That's true for much of SoCal in general...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
I you care so much about urban issues and have met so very few in the city who don't, then it doesn't sound like you've done much yourself to justify a righteous tirade. Am I right? Or are you active in community organizations? If so, here's an opportunity to talk about them.

Actually, let me offer some examples. There A Place Called Home in South LA that offers lots of programs for children. But if you're a westside or Valley resident, SOVA Community Food and Resource is someplace to meet like minded people who care. The branches of the Bicycle Kitchen are fun and alternative and are pretty dedicated to getting LA residents out of their cars. In the South Bay, actually a close friend just got laid off from her job at the shelter, but they're all over the place and are taking volunteers. No one at these places has time to rage against those who don't care. When you nail yourself on the cross it really ties up the hands that could be used for actually doing something.

Oh, let me not forget Inner-City Arts, which also deals with issues of poverty and homelessness, and just won the Rudy Bruner Award for 2009.

Last edited by Bunjee; 11-14-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,492,877 times
Quote:
And what are you doing to improve our city?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,277,899 times
Quote:
I have to say I actually agree with some of the things said here. There are a lot of uneducated, trashy, terrible people and losers in L.A. unfortunately. For all of you who love this place, you must admit this city has a lot of problems. The public transit here is a joke compared to some other large US cities. The air is so dirty that it causes allergy problems for me. It has some of the most dangerous areas in the whole US where people don't get along with each other and there's just too much social dysfunction. I am not saying all of L.A. is bad, I'm just saying people should be informed and admit this city has lots of issues. I'm actually not living here by choice. Its not that I totally dislike this place. There ARE things I like about it, but its not the best place in the world. I'm a positive person by nature but I had to point these things out so people know what's going on.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I have to say I actually agree with some of the things said here. There are a lot of uneducated, trashy, terrible people and losers in L.A. unfortunately. For all of you who love this place, you must admit this city has a lot of problems. The public transit here is a joke compared to some other large US cities. The air is so dirty that it causes allergy problems for me. It has some of the most dangerous areas in the whole US where people don't get along with each other and there's just too much social dysfunction. I am not saying all of L.A. is bad, I'm just saying people should be informed and admit this city has lots of issues. I'm actually not living here by choice. Its not that I totally dislike this place. There ARE things I like about it, but its not the best place in the world. I'm a positive person by nature but I had to point these things out so people know what's going on.
Oh, it's all fine, AliveandWell. There are problems. This is the second largest city in the United States. Transit is bad but it's getting much better, and is I think way better than credit given. (I have also lived in other cities so I'm assessing this honestly.) Air quality is bad but again, getting better. (I grew up here so I'm assessing this honestly as well. You don't even know how bad it used to be .) As for crime, the crime rate is actually not so bad compared to other cities. (See first parenthetical.) But there are problems and huge ones.

What gets me responding is the pomposity of some permanent visitors who seem to have a Cassandra Complex as though they're the precious gifted ones enlightened to Truth and Justice. You have to admit it is pompous. I mean, what does intellectuals treated like "leapers" mean? I guess it should be "lepers" but I dunno...could be "leopards"--some way too intellectual allusion. I think solely because of this forum I'm becoming less patient with the case for LA causing a feeling of social isolation and friendlessness. If someone wants to be surrounded by good people it's, at least I find it, not...that...hard.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
Transit isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, although yes, it's not NYC-quality. It's pretty good, though.

I don't think most people say, or would say, that LA is perfect; it obviously is facing problems. That comes with the territory with a big city, especially a big city with extremes of wealth and now a really rough economy.

The thing that bugs me is when people come on here and make broad sweeping statements about things, yet give the impression that they've created some of the problems for themselves. Those who complain about living around all superficial people who only care about cars and designer clothes, for example, or not being around people who value culture or education or learning. Hang out with the wrong crowd and it colors your world. LA is so huge and offers everything (including a nice selection of top-notch universities, colleges, museums, and other centers of education and learning, most of which offer plentiful points of access for the public), so if all your friends or neighbors are superficial or snobby it might be time to find a new circle of friends or a new neighborhood.

Air quality isn't great, but I've heard horror stories about the past. I don't think anyone moves to LA thinking the air is perfect, though; more typical are the people who think it's worse than it is, probably due to what it was like in years gone by. I fell into that category.

As far as the allegation that people in LA don't care about social justice or issues of inequality or poverty or whatever, there are vast numbers of nonprofits and individuals who are working hard to address those problems. This is as good a time as any to consider contributing time and money to help make LA a better place to live. The needs are great. (and as an aside, there was a study a few years ago that showed that the vast majority of foundation dollars from outside of California go towards the Bay Area, not LA, despite LA's arguably greater need; I think some of the speculation was that the East Coast-based foundations were more familiar and comfortable with San Francisco. Still, there are some amazing and very generous foundations based in southern CA doing all they can to help address some of the city and region's problems.)

Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
People treat intellectuals like leapers.
Leaping from tall buildings with a single bound?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Air quality isn't great, but I've heard horror stories about the past.
Air quality is SO much better now. Back in the fifties and sixties, merely walking home from school induced painful breathing problems and shortness of breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles