U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,299,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkyone View Post
Do you live in the mountains or something?

I hear from the locals this whole town shuts down when you get like 1/2" of snow. (the cold kind, not the drug)
If you're talking about LA city itself, the last time anything like a half-inch of snow fell there was back in 1949. My dad was four years old at the time and remembers it very clearly. Every now and again the SFV might get a dusting or at least true "hard-freeze" temps. (That happened in flatland Orange County in 2007, where it got into the high '20s)

The high deserts and mountain areas (4000' and above) will get snow every winter in every county of Southern California except maybe Imperial.

Our local news does get weird about rain, though. Even a storm watch where an inch of rain is expected in the basin causes the clearing of pretty much all other news, no matter how important it is.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM

29 posts, read 114,591 times
Baywatch is why. It's not what it is on T.V. There is a reason this place in called Tinsel Town. It's movie magic, but when you really get here, it's dirty and crime riden. If you grew up in a place where there is natural precipitation to make the earth green and lush, by normal standards, you'd get why people hate it here. If you turned the sprinklers off, it would dry up into a wasteland.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:00 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,299,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Baywatch is why. It's not what it is on T.V. There is a reason this place in called Tinsel Town. It's movie magic, but when you really get here, it's dirty and crime riden. If you grew up in a place where there is natural precipitation to make the earth green and lush, by normal standards, you'd get why people hate it here. If you turned the sprinklers off, it would dry up into a wasteland.
TV is a wasteland, for the most part. If you turned it off, maybe the supply of delusional wanna-be transplants would dry up.

Not many of us, even two or three generation Southern Californians, truly know the history of this place, especially the natural history.

150 or so years ago, before concrete and dams, according to the accounts of travelers and "pioneers", there was riparian (river-watered) forest all along the rivers (San Gabriel, Los Angeles, Santa Ana) and creeks. Some still exists in pockets today. With those rivers came swamps and marshlands.

Of course, these rivers could in no way provide for the massive amount of people we have here today, or even the relatively small number around in the twenties. (when Mulholland did his famous water deals for LA with the Owens Valley folks.) There are wells in the region for water too, but much of the water we have is imported from somewhere else in the state.

As far as rain, there are people that complain about that in the same breath as they complain about brown barrenness, never connecting the two.

It was not, by accounts, a wasteland in centuries past....if it becomes one (what is a wasteland really, anyway?) it will be because WE created it.

Last edited by mrsltd; 11-18-2009 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,992 times
Default living in la

all i can say from living in la is that its over croweded with so many people the traffic is so bad. the county hospitals are so packed rent is high. shall i go on but then again were not the only place that has this problem...

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,669,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Not many of us, even two or three generation Southern Californians, truly know the history of this place, especially the natural history.

150 or so years ago, before concrete and dams, according to the accounts of travelers and "pioneers", there was riparian (river-watered) forest all along the rivers (San Gabriel, Los Angeles, Santa Ana) and creeks. Some still exists in pockets today. With those rivers came swamps and marshlands.
Exactly. There's a reason for the name of La Cienega Blvd (La Cienega de las Ranas, the swamp of the frogs).

And that's just one example of many.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,280,021 times
I thought about this question tonight. Why do people hate L.A.? I'll tell you why. Maybe some of you don't want to even read this but this is my perspective. Some people hate it because they are tired of the traffic on the freeways or the expensive cost of living and the stress associated with living in the metro area. Others hate it because they are negative and they only see the bad sides of L.A. They never even see all the good things it offers to any one who wants to live here. There are some very good things in Los Angeles such as great spectator sports, great food from almost any country in the world, good live clubs to go to and also there are so many things to see. Yes the cost of living in Los Angeles is high but is it so bad that some people have to whine and complain so much?? It all goes back to what I wrote earlier in this post. Some people are just bitter, angry and depressed and they blame L.A. for their unhappiness. The truth is that these kinds of people only have themselves to blame.

I was watching SportsCenter tonight and whenever I hear about the Boston Celtics, Red Sox or the New York Yankees, I am so thrilled to be in L.A. if this makes any sense at all. I have been a long time viewer of Laker basketball games and I love to watch the Lakers beat the Celtics because I can't stand the Celtics and their style of play. I also can't stand the Red Sox or the Yankees. I like to be here so I can cheer for the local teams when they play against the ones I mentioned. I'm just a big sports fan.

But sports aside, Los Angeles has so many good things that if people only opened their eyes and REALLY analyzed this place for themselves, they'd find it rewarding to live iin the 2nd largest city in the US

Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 AM

29 posts, read 114,591 times
Here is the bottom line: You pay city prices for suburbs. Everyone knows there is no downtown in L.A.., at least a downtown a lot of people live in. No decent transportation, completely unorganized zoning, ridiculous highways (street repair is horrible), cold and polluted water (so the beach ain't really nothing special), tolerated homeless problem, LASD is just scary, high taxes and corrupt politicians, very expensive old poorly built housing, shops and restaurants close from 9-10 PM, and the list goes on. Okay, so you take a place like NYC or Hong Kong; or whatever international large city. You pay a lot like here, but you get a world class subway and train system (did you know people can literally live in downtown Philly and train into NYC; with no car even remotely necessary). That's really it, it boils down to convenience. A CITY SHOULD OFFER CONVENIENCE, BECAUSE IF IT DOESN"T, WHAT'S THE DARN POINT. I pay to sit in traffic to get to all there is to do in L.A.. We are all getting ripped off royally here. Really, someone tell me one thing that they can do conveniently that can't be done in a medium size city. City prices for suburb living.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,280,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Here is the bottom line: You pay city prices for suburbs. Everyone knows there is no downtown in L.A.., at least a downtown a lot of people live in. No decent transportation, completely unorganized zoning, ridiculous highways (street repair is horrible), cold and polluted water (so the beach ain't really nothing special), tolerated homeless problem, LASD is just scary, high taxes and corrupt politicians, very expensive old poorly built housing, shops and restaurants close from 9-10 PM, and the list goes on. Okay, so you take a place like NYC or Hong Kong; or whatever international large city. You pay a lot like here, but you get a world class subway and train system (did you know people can literally live in downtown Philly and train into NYC; with no car even remotely necessary). That's really it, it boils down to convenience. A CITY SHOULD OFFER CONVENIENCE, BECAUSE IF IT DOESN"T, WHAT'S THE DARN POINT. I pay to sit in traffic to get to all there is to do in L.A.. We are all getting ripped off royally here. Really, someone tell me one thing that they can do conveniently that can't be done in a medium size city. City prices for suburb living.
I can understand what you're saying in most of this post. Yes I also think that a city should offer convenience. So do you think that L.A. is the only place where someone gets ripped off? No, of course not. Yes cities like NYC have a better transit system but let's not forget that according to statistics you can easily find on the internet, they show that NYC is more expensive to live in than L.A. Also, that is a crowded city that has a high stress level. Yes, even I think L.A. has a lot of issues but at least I like the fact that Los Angeles is not as crowded therefore its easier to move around. Plus, NYC has the Yankees baseball team that I don't really like. I'd still put up with L.A. in spite of its problems because I'm an open minded person.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,776,071 times
Stevopolis, sounds like you were living in the wrong neighborhood. I loved my (admittedly expensive, but very well built) old apartment, and then my well built old house (and NYC is filled with old construction, too, by the way; I happen to love that, although don't love the NYC price tag), loved downtown, and know of plenty of bars and restaurants that stayed open well past 10 pm. Public transportation certainly isn't up to NYC-standards, but it's not bad (and plenty of people do live in LA without cars, by the way). LA has its problems, definitely, but it's easy to find non-suburban living if you want it. And cost of living is still a lot cheaper in LA than in NYC (although not a bargain city, either).

Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
I think LA, California in general, ROCKS! I do not understand why anyone would not enjoy California. There's way more things to do there than most of the east coast! Not to mention the weather is soooo much nicer! What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles