Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times

Advertisements

Because they live in the mideast or the northeast and are jealous of the weather and beaches here.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Because some of these people think that LA is basically a run down ghetto with illegal immigrants all over the place. It is true that LA does have its run down areas but places like that exist in just about every large US city. Some of this hatred of LA is based on ignorance IMO.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Because some of these people think that LA is basically a run down ghetto with illegal immigrants all over the place. It is true that LA does have its run down areas but places like that exist in just about every large US city. Some of this hatred of LA is based on ignorance IMO.
In which case, one might want to not plunk oneself down smack in the middle of a "run down ghetto with illegal immigrants." Kind of like, "don't keep jumping in the cold water and complaining about the cold water."

Anybody who thinks L.A. is all ghetto hasn't been there, and certainly hasn't lived there.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In which case, one might want to not plunk oneself down smack in the middle of a "run down ghetto with illegal immigrants." Kind of like, "don't keep jumping in the cold water and complaining about the cold water."

Anybody who thinks L.A. is all ghetto hasn't been there, and certainly hasn't lived there.
I live here and no, it's not all ghetto, but there is more poverty, stuggle and barely hanging on than anything else. When you need several roommates to help pay rent for a $600 to $700 a month apartment then that is a problem.

There is a lot of poverty and homelessness here and they're not all crazy, skitzo, druggies either. Many are normal folks just like you and me who fell on extreme hard times. Hopefully, they'll make it out soon.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

This is true. people love to hate Los Angeles and constantly overexagerate

Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
I thought I'd share my experience/thoughts on L.A as a foreigner (I'm from London, United Kingdom). I visited L.A on my trip around California, and was surprised how underwhelmed I was. Yeah, it was sunny, but that's as far as it went. The people seemed okay but the place is so full of tourists, I guess I'd have to live there to know the locals. Something I get when I walk out of a tube station in kings cross, London, is the presence of the City you get, the history and feeling of the place hits you, I'm sure like NYC does. However, L.A didn't do that for me, I never felt anything, it felt like just another place with hot weather and expensive food. I went to Yoesemite, now that is a place to remember.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM

18 posts, read 39,862 times
Default The Third World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
Hold up hold up hold up!!! Time out, flag on the play! Not everyone hates L.A. L.A is one of the classiest cities known world-wide. Not everyone hate the place because the reason why people say they hate is is because of them and their problems. SOme people can stand the L.A people and culture, but for you other people, you need some help because L.A's not the one with the problem, but it's you my friend.
You are right. It is my problem. My problem is I am in LA. Look, everybody knows LA is the third world. Beggars everywhere. Loudmouths everywhere. Can't hear the sermon in church on account of the loudmouths are only there for the Trader Joe's giveaway after the "service." Everybody who talks to you is trying to get something from you. Can't have a coffee without being interrupted by the latest needygreedy (who has got far more than you have).Anybody who says LA is one of the classiest cities worldwide can't have ever been to another city. C'mon, fess up. You've never been out of LA! One good thing: the Latino men are so cute and everything you've ever heard about them is very happily true! I love the color of their skin. Aaaaaah! I love their eyes. I love their voices. Come on down. There are plenty to share! And new ones every day!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 PM

18 posts, read 39,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think as many people love LA as hate it, but especially on the general C-D forums there seem to be more people who somehow take any appreciation of LA as a personal attack on their favorite city. LA is also a very different sort of city than what you find on the east coast or in the Midwest, and some people just haven't figured out how to appreciate it. Add to the mix the fact that lots of people who either haven't been to LA or who have only come in for a brief visit hitting only the prime tourist spots, who think they know all about LA because they're read about movie stars or see the city featured in movies. Someone posted something recently about LA being a tough city for visitors to understand; I think that's very true. It's a huge place, very diverse, with a lot of extremes. It doesn't feel like a city in the way that Manhattan does, but it also certainly doesn't feel like the suburb that so many non-Angelenos think that it is. I suppose maybe the traditional suburbanites don't like it because it's not really suburban, and some of the east coast city lovers don't like it because it's not like the traditional central city core NYC-style city (although it seems many of them don't even give the city a chance, but assume the worst based on preconceived notions). I love LA, but do think that you have to take it for what it is, and not try to directly compare it with other cities. There are positives and negatives to LA, of course, but that can be said of any place. And like Bunjee pointed out, it makes a nice boogeyman for outsiders, who can selectively pick and choose whatever elements they want (because LA offers almost everything) to hold it up as an example of what's wrong with America.
I've been in LA for five years. You are right. It doesn't feel like a city. It feels like a farm. Mooooooooooooo.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
The people seemed okay but the place is so full of tourists, I guess I'd have to live there to know the locals.
True enough. I'm a local and I never interact with tourists in my daily life. We don't hang out at the same places. And since it is a car culture, we basically don't interact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
Something I get when I walk out of a tube station in kings cross, London, is the presence of the City you get, the history and feeling of the place hits you, I'm sure like NYC does. However, L.A didn't do that for me, I never felt anything
When I talk to people coming to LA, I tell them that there is nothing to see but plenty to do. If you're just here to look at the history and architecture, you won't be impressed. Almost nothing in this city is more than 80 years old.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM

55 posts, read 134,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I live here and no, it's not all ghetto, but there is more poverty, stuggle and barely hanging on than anything else. When you need several roommates to help pay rent for a $600 to $700 a month apartment then that is a problem.

There is a lot of poverty and homelessness here and they're not all crazy, skitzo, druggies either. Many are normal folks just like you and me who fell on extreme hard times. Hopefully, they'll make it out soon.

Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles