U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
 
35 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

I live in Pittsburgh, visited LA for two days, I don't know if I believe the hype about a lack of "down to earth people". Several strangers made friendly conversation with me during my short visit, which has never happened here. I had this exchange with an LA-native waiter at California Pizza Kitchen.

Him: Everybody in LA is so fake. Like, all the dudes dye their hair and wear hair gel...well okay, I'm wearing hair gel today, but...
Me: Yeah...
Him: For example, my high school was full of rich girls; they got nose jobs as graduation presents-
Me: Yeah, so did I actually...
Him: ...well....some people are nice, but most people there are just really fake...

Apparently wanting to look attractive and/or unique is his criteria for fakeness. My city is known for being friendly...probably because its residents are mostly senior citizens.

Can anyone explain this concept of "fakeness"? I enjoy maintaining and improving my appearance and while I keep them as friends, I wouldn't date an ugly girl. I don't see how that makes me a bad person. Is there more to it than that? The people I met during my visit seemed nice, and I liked the colorful mix of people with different fashions, and I liked how everyone was super attractive.

Everybody at my public high school was white and dressed in American Eagle and Abercrombie; there were 3 asians, 2 blacks and 1 latino, a few kids who were too poor to wear AE/A&F, and a few kids who dressed skater but didn't actually skate.

What is this fakeness people speak of? All I noticed was a lack of sameness. I'm moving to LA in a year, and the culture seems pretty cool to me.

 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,562 posts, read 14,059,052 times
Reputation: 9673
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC91 View Post
Everybody at my public high school was white and dressed in American Eagle and Abercrombie; there were 3 asians, 2 blacks and 1 latino, a few kids who were too poor to wear AE/A&F, and a few kids who dressed skater but didn't actually skate.
You're reminding me of the time they had to cancel the annual March of the Virgins, because one of them got sick and the other one didn't want to march alone!
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
 
35 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You're reminding me of the time they had to cancel the annual March of the Virgins, because one of them got sick and the other one didn't want to march alone!
Huh? The joke is funny but I don't see how it relates to my high school...
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
964 posts, read 2,286,675 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC91 View Post
I liked how everyone was super attractive.
You must have been in a higher end neighborhood.
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
 
35 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 23
Definitely, I stayed in Long Beach and visited Hollywood, and the concert was at Angels Stadium. When my dad and I rode the tram and they made us get off at Culver City it was different (duh) but I come from an intelligent, upper-class white family, so it's not like I'll be making friends with crackheads when I move to LA. Pittsburgh is poor and has an aging population, whereas Los Angeles has a mix of people, and the people my age seemed to like fashion, whereas people in Pittsburgh dress mostly the same. That's really all I had to compare it to.

...can someone please explain the joke to me?
 
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 AM
 
4,212 posts, read 6,367,679 times
Reputation: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC91 View Post
I live in Pittsburgh, visited LA for two days, I don't know if I believe the hype about a lack of "down to earth people". Several strangers made friendly conversation with me during my short visit, which has never happened here. I had this exchange with an LA-native waiter at California Pizza Kitchen.

Him: Everybody in LA is so fake. Like, all the dudes dye their hair and wear hair gel...well okay, I'm wearing hair gel today, but...
Me: Yeah...
Him: For example, my high school was full of rich girls; they got nose jobs as graduation presents-
Me: Yeah, so did I actually...
Him: ...well....some people are nice, but most people there are just really fake...

Apparently wanting to look attractive and/or unique is his criteria for fakeness. My city is known for being friendly...probably because its residents are mostly senior citizens.

Can anyone explain this concept of "fakeness"? I enjoy maintaining and improving my appearance and while I keep them as friends, I wouldn't date an ugly girl. I don't see how that makes me a bad person. Is there more to it than that? The people I met during my visit seemed nice, and I liked the colorful mix of people with different fashions, and I liked how everyone was super attractive.

Everybody at my public high school was white and dressed in American Eagle and Abercrombie; there were 3 asians, 2 blacks and 1 latino, a few kids who were too poor to wear AE/A&F, and a few kids who dressed skater but didn't actually skate.

What is this fakeness people speak of? All I noticed was a lack of sameness. I'm moving to LA in a year, and the culture seems pretty cool to me.
Here's the deal: LA natives are not fake at all. We're pretty down to earth honest people. Even the ones from the westside.

It's the people who come here from the outside (usually fly over states) trying to become "LA" and adopt a fake persona (also to escape their usually super boring farm lives). They're the ones who think they have to do this and that, speak a certain way, like certain trends. So tired of it.
 
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,545,469 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC91 View Post
Definitely, I stayed in Long Beach and visited Hollywood, and the concert was at Angels Stadium. When my dad and I rode the tram and they made us get off at Culver City it was different (duh) but I come from an intelligent, upper-class white family, so it's not like I'll be making friends with crackheads when I move to LA. Pittsburgh is poor and has an aging population, whereas Los Angeles has a mix of people, and the people my age seemed to like fashion, whereas people in Pittsburgh dress mostly the same. That's really all I had to compare it to.

...can someone please explain the joke to me?
I wish you luck in your attempt to move west. But best to dispense with your misconceptions right now.

There is plenty of poverty in Los Angeles. The poverty rate might be a bit higher overall in Pittsburgh but the poverty rate for CHILDREN under 18 is actually a bit higher here.

Also, your intensive focus on all things fashion is really juvenile. It is JUST clothes we are talking about after all...
 
Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
 
35 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks for the explanation disgruntled.

BlueSpark: I don't actually care about fashion, I just found it interesting to see when I visited LA.

There's some poverty in every city, but Pittsburgh is really its own entity when it comes to poverty...middle-upper class folks live in the suburbs outside of the city. The neighborhoods immediately surrounding the city are populated by middle to lower class blue collar workers. There are a few Jewish neighborhoods with well-maintained houses, but they're only "wealthy" relative to the rest of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is almost EXCLUSIVELY poor. Orange County? Hollywood? Long Beach? Yeah, we don't have anything like that. Native Pittsburghers are poor but fairly happy with their lives (we have very little crime considering the poverty rate) by nature. I just wanted to clarify what I meant. I wasn't implying that most of Los Angeles is wealthy.
 
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,584 posts, read 32,655,119 times
Reputation: 16786
Come to South Fontana if you want to see gritty working-class hoods in the Greater L.A. Metro area.
 
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
 
3,552 posts, read 5,380,218 times
Reputation: 3448
There seems to be a lot of Pittsburgh people everywhere you go. Even around here, go to any sports bar on any sunday afternoon during NFL season and maybe 90% of the people are wearing Steelers jerseys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top