U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^The 2 am thing is definitely a nightlife killer. I happen to live walking distance to any nightlife I go to these days, but I see people driving in 10, 20, 30 , 40 miles away to spend all that money on gas, parking, drinks and possible DUIs just for a night out. Ludicrous.
I guess it depends on how often a person goes to nightclubs. If someone goes out three or four nights a week (at $40-$100 a night????) then it is worth it to live close. If someone visits nightclubs once a month, then what's a 40 mile drive? Besides, there are nightclubs 40 miles away from LA too. It would have to be a special band or something to pull a person to LA when otherwise they can dance, listen to bands, and have cocktails in their own neighborhood.

When I was in my early 20s (early 1980s), I'd go to Sunset and Santa Monica and see all the bands there but maybe once or twice a month (and I lived in Canoga Park). We'd be seeing up and coming bands like Wall of Voodoo or Psychedelic Furs, or more established bands like Black Flag, DK, Fear, the Ramones, TSOL, B-52s, or Kraftwerk - bands we couldn't see in the Valley.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:49 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I guess it depends on how often a person goes to nightclubs. If someone goes out three or four nights a week (at $40-$100 a night????) then it is worth it to live close. If someone visits nightclubs once a month, then what's a 40 mile drive? Besides, there are nightclubs 40 miles away from LA too. It would have to be a special band or something to pull a person to LA when otherwise they can dance, listen to bands, and have cocktails in their own neighborhood.

When I was in my early 20s (early 1980s), I'd go to Sunset and Santa Monica and see all the bands there but maybe once or twice a month (and I lived in Canoga Park). We'd be seeing up and coming bands like Wall of Voodoo or Psychedelic Furs, or more established bands like Black Flag, DK, Fear, the Ramones, TSOL, B-52s, or Kraftwerk - bands we couldn't see in the Valley.
I'm not talking about once a monthers. I see these people going to my local bars 3 times a week (sometimes more) and they're driving in from places like Fontana and Rancho Cucamonga. I think that's crazy. These are the same people bringing guns to the bars and smashing people in the head with beer bottles (last weekend) and forcing 18 sheriffs to close down the street for half an hour, draw out shotguns, and shove people out of the way.

By the way, not every night out has to be expensive. Assuming you're not the designated driver, or if you can walk/cab there, many people drink considerable amounts before even arriving at the bar/club. once you arrive, supposed to order, one, maybe two drinks there (for a total of $10-25). then again, some people have no self control and continue to run up an $80 tab even with alcohol already in their system (hence the blackout and puking on sidewalk)

Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,252,038 times
I think if one ventures out of Weho and Hollywood, one ventures out of LA scene and into more normal environs. All the rednecks coming from Berdoo go to Weho and Hollywood for the scene and it produces a volatile mix with the locals, who tend to be more ethnic in origin. Plus the tourist factor there doesn't help. Although Whiskey A Go Go is fun, that is ridiculous what happened there last week.

My suggestion is go out to other neighborhoods like downtown SM, Sherman Oaks/Studio City, downtown, maybe even Burbank. Plus going out there is generally cheaper because no cover and cheaper drinks.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I personally would rather live in Los Angeles the rest of my life than live in some Flyover state, sorry, I know that sounds mean but yeah all of the complaints I lodged against L.A., I still think it's way, way better than most places. I'm just very picky, and when there's a city just a few hours away that resides in a state with no income taxes and far better laws that more closely aligns with my own values? Yeah, I'm going to choose that instead. But if I'm comparing Los Angeles to where I grew up, Portland, OR, I would choose L.A. in a heartbeat. I'm not putting up with rain 250 days a year and cloudy weather and even higher income taxes (in Oregon) and the highest alcohol taxes and not even close to as much to do. L.A. has a lot of negatives, it really does, and I'm overly negative on this city right now because I've had too many bum experiences here personally and too high of a cost of living. It made me actually kind of an angry person and I'm really easy going and happy almost all of the time, so I started to dislike that and realized it was changing me for the worse. I'm already happier just thinking about moving to Long Beach because of the massive cost savings for me, which helps me sleep a bit better at night, and the realization that this move puts me closer to being able to pick up a place in Vegas, where I really want to be, and enjoy California as a seasonal / work visitor. The idea of spending 3-4 months in the Greater L.A. area per year is very appealing. The idea of living here full-time is not, for me. At least compared to the alternatives.

Overall, though, every city has its good and bad parts, and for me being in the film industry, there are more positives about L.A. than I would think there would be for most people. If I wasn't in film, I'd look into places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Austin, etc., other nice-weather cities in the Sun Belt with lower costs of living and lower state income taxes (none in TX and NV, low in Arizona).

But I was LOL-ing at the above, I know I didn't just read someone talk about the Los Angeles nightlife! HAHAHA yeah, sorry dude, that's laugh out loud funny. L.A. has a terrible nightlife compared to any other city even close to its size. I'll take Portland's nightlife over here, at least our bars are open until 2:30 (and unlike in L.A., they close at closing time, not 30-45 minutes early!) and our drinks are 2-4 times cheaper, so you can enjoy a great night out for $30 and no covers and actually a prayer of a chance at finding a parking spot or a cheap taxi back to where you live. Name one other city that has a worse nightlife than L.A. and is considered a big city. Miami? Dallas? New York? Chicago? Las Vegas? Sorry, no, I've been out in NYC, it has an amazing nightlife and way better clubs that put Los Angeles to SHAME. My friend lives in Chicago and he also lived in L.A. for college, he feels the same way, terrible nightlife. Maybe if you have an early bedtime but there are what about 50 different cities in L.A. County? Your friends won't live anywhere near you odds are, you'll all argue over where to go out, then you have to spend forever driving there, often more than an hour for distances of only 7-12 miles on a Friday or Saturday night, then you get there and they want $20 for valet parking and another $20 for entry into the overrated club. And then there is the absolute joke (you'd think L.A. people would know better) about how great Drais and SkyBar are. They both SUCK!!! There isn't any incredible view at either one of them, they're absolutely terrible and overrated. If you want to see what a REAL club looks like and REAL nightlife is like, go to Las Vegas, where there is no closing time and clubs look like they actually cost more than $100,000 to build. They are multi-million-dollar establishments that always look new (because they are -- Vegas clubs rarely last long before they're remodeled and redone), and while they may also be expensive, at least you get your money's worth!

Ever since I moved to L.A., I was just under the impression that perhaps this is a city of house parties, where everyone kind of goes out for a drink or two then has a killer party back at their house. I am still not sure if that's actually true but there must be SOME reason why this city has such an awful nightlife that doesn't even compare to my boring home city. The law really kills it, though, the 2 a.m. closing is unacceptable. It needs to be 4 a.m. Young people don't even go out until 11 so if you're doing last call at 1:15 it just kills it all. Especially because nobody is motivated to go out often when it takes 2 hours to drive there and back, costs a fortune, and you only "enjoy" an overrated club for 2-3 hours. I also always kind of assumed that the city / state must have an attitude like, "Well, go party in Vegas, it's right next door." I just think that's the basic attitude, like who cares if our city sucks at night and is boring as a small college town, you can go to Vegas! Well, thanks, I will. Permanently! Every week on Facebook I have about 5 friends in Vegas, so it seems like everyone in L.A. escapes to Vegas to have fun.

It sure isn't much fun going out here. It's mediocre at best. The best places aren't in Hollywood, which I still think has to be the most overrated part of L.A. because it's just not impressive at all. My favorite two places are Downtown, where I live -- The Edison and The Standard completely blow away any Hollywood club. Edison is usually free cover almost every night, I think they have some small $5 cover or something on Wednesdays for this burlesque show, I don't know, and they serve absinthe of all sorts, not to mention the interior design is incredible. It's one of the most fun places I've ever seen. The Standard has some of the best views of any bar you'll find, I can go there alone and just enjoy the city view, and especially on off-nights without a cover it's still a great hangout. But I have no use for Hollywood bars and clubs. I kept hearing how great Drais and SkyBar were, and I went to both and just laughed, like really? Is this REALLY what passes for a hot club in Los Angeles? I am sorry for this city if those are supposed to be "hot clubs." They wouldn't even pass for hot clubs in Nebraska
What kind of bad experiences have you had in LA? I'm curious if they are native to LA or just in general bad experiences that can happen anywhere.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 AM

4,318 posts, read 5,268,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^The 2 am thing is definitely a nightlife killer. I happen to live walking distance to any nightlife I go to these days, but I see people driving in 10, 20, 30 , 40 miles away to spend all that money on gas, parking, drinks and possible DUIs just for a night out. Ludicrous.
I don't want to seem mean but... there are people who live 30 miles outside of L.A. who may as well live in Kansas or something, because they behave in a way that just makes me laugh and probably makes anyone in L.A. laugh frankly. Especially places like Temeculah (I even hate the name, it just sounds mediocre) and Riverside, just absolutely lame places to live in every respect, and those people are like, "YEAH!!!11!111!!!!1111 Going to LA this weekend!" As if that's some kind of a big deal. And they all idolize LA like it's this miraculous city because it is compared to their ghetto little cheap... nothingness. Those places wouldn't even exist if it weren't for L.A., they are just the middle of nowhere that they decided to throw up some houses and people who can't afford anything better moved out there and all live together in total mediocrity.

I took a girl out who lives in Riverside and she's a sweet girl, but my god, all of her friends were like that and I went to some stupid mall down there where they have every kind of store imaginable, and there's a Yard House. I don't know where that is and I'm too lazy to look it up but it was as far as I cared somewhere I would never go again. So we get there at 8:15 p.m., so really way past dinner, this isn't the East Coast, we eat dinner on this coast between 6 and 7 usually. You'd think at that time, you'd get in immediately. NOPE. TWO HOUR WAIT. I have never, ever seen that kind of thing anywhere, not at a fancy restaurant, not anywhere. In fact I'm not sure if you can even make reservations at Yard House LA Live but one time I went there (I live 2 blocks away, so I went on a whim) on a weeknight and it was the Britney Spears concert, and I still only waited 20 minutes to get a table. You never wait longer than that at any restaurant in Los Angeles, probably because we actually have lives here and know that Yard House is at best a "fun" place with a great beer selection and at worse glorified appetizer / grill food. I mean, I love the music they play and the beer selection, fun place, but it ain't exactly a top-tier restaurant So we try 3 more restaurants in this stupid mall thing, and every one of them, 2 hour waits. And people were actually waiting in these lines. That is when I realized people in Riverside quite possibly need to get lives! To wait 2 hours for Yard House is so sad I wanted to cry for these people, this is probably the coolest thing they did all week, they went to some retarded run of the mill mall that nobody in a real city would think twice about let alone go to on a Saturday night and they are here waiting TWO HOURS for this.

We drove two blocks away and sat right down at a nice Italian restaurant. So that was an eye-opening experience for me, I guess I'm a big city guy, because when I see these people out in the boonies who think it's some big deal to go to a trendy Hollywood club, I just laugh, like this is the biggest thing they're going to do all month if not all season. Get dressed up and go pay $20 per drink at some overrated club like Drais that kicks you out at 1:35 even though the law clearly says 2 and the place is full.

I personally won't drive anywhere to go out really. I enjoy drinking and when I start drinking I want to keep drinking, not to say I can't be moderate but if I'm going to have to worry about driving home then I'd rather not even bother at all. I prefer to go out where I live. I think the people in Riverside should embrace the mediocrity of their city and just stay at the neighborhood bars, because it's not worth driving 30 miles to Hollywood, that's just sad.

As for me and L.A. experiences, everyone has different experiences in any city. My primary complaint about L.A. would be the people. I've enjoyed my time here overall in the sense that I didn't come here for socializing, I came here to succeed in the film industry and that has went better than I could have expected honestly. It has been a dream come true for me and exciting all of the way. It's just that along the way, I would have hoped to meet more friendly, loyal, fun people, and to have better experiences with establishing a social circle here, but that has simply never happened. I've met very few people here who I would want to get to know better, especially the girls, who are some of the hottest but lowest quality women in the world I think. I was warned about that, and I always said, "Nah that's just a stereotype, you can't say that about L.A., I'm sure it's not really like that." But four years later I realized that everyone who told me that? They were right, completely. I should have listened more carefully. I also spend probably at least a year in denial saying how much I liked L.A. when I had already decided subconsciously I didn't care for it at that point. But put yourself in my shoes, if you are pretty sure you're going to have no choice but to live in a city for the rest of your life because you're in the film industry and think that means you're just going to be stuck here, you aren't going to get negative about it because you can't change it. So that's probably why I was in denial. Then when I realized, hey, I don't work crew, I'm a writer-director-producer, I can live wherever I damn well please, then it was very liberating and I started to realize how unhappy I was here because not being tied to the city, I started thinking well ok let's make sure I have some small place in L.A. County, then move to somewhere that fits my personality more and that fits my lifestyle.

Who knows, different time, different area, different experiences, my time in L.A. may have been different. But I've certainly had enough experiences here to tell you that it is full of users. Absolutely chalk full of them. I have never seen something so funny, where you never hear from a person until they need something from you. I'm used to it by this point and just find it funny, but they're not even good at it. "Hey Jonathan how's it going? I hope all is well. Uhh so yeah I just signed with a new manager and he's wondering if he can see more stuff from me, can you send me a copy of the movie so he can review it (I know it's not done yet)? It would really help me!" No, I can't, it's our private intellectual property, and even if I wanted to help you, I wouldn't help you because in the last 3 months I haven't heard from you ONE time. There is no social tact here whatsoever. A normal person who isn't a complete narcissist (or a smart narcissist, anyway!) would pre-heat the oven a bit, like maybe a few weeks earlier write, "Hey, how's it going? How is the movie coming? I was just thinking of you and wanted to see how you're doing!" Now if I heard from the same person a week or two later and they were asking about something they wanted, I wouldn't think what a user, I'd remember this person actually treated me like a person recently and it'd be different.

You're almost never treated like a person here, you are treated for your utility to someone else. The further up I've climbed, the more I get contacted from people who know they can use me for something or think they can at least. When you're first starting out, few people want to help you, and they always try to abuse your time and money, but when you're actually looking like someone who might be good to know, they start to latch onto that. Everyone asks for favors and they're never considerate of YOU as a person. It's not like, "Ok, I want to borrow this camera and some equipment from Jonathan, but hmm I wonder how could I help him out and then make him want to help me out? How could we both benefit?" That is treating a person like a person, realizing that you're NOT the only one with goals, other people have goals too, and you can work together to achieve them mutually. Like, "Hey Jonathan, I really wanted to borrow your camera and some other equipment for a few days, and I know you're doing a lot of corporate work. As you know I'm a good editor and if you'd be willing to consider it, perhaps I could edit a video for you in exchange for borrowing the camera and gear?" Even if the answer is no, I would always think of this person as someone who offered me something in return and thought of me, thought of my goals, and what I might need, and that is respectful and classy. But I've never seen it in L.A. There is absolutely no tact here because everyone is so busy trying to fight their way to the top, they have no concern for you as a person, so don't expect that.

When I'm asking for a favor, I always think if there's some way I can help that person or if I don't know them well at all, I don't feel comfortable asking for a favor. It just seems cheap to me. Most of the people I've met here have no such qualms, and it makes you a harsher person too. I used to be nicer (read: more gullible), but now I know how to deal with the users and I just cut them off right away. I don't have room in my life for those kind of people. It's especially disappointing when people will act friendly and you think you're becoming friends, but then you never get beyond the professional connection. In the end, they just don't care, and only wanted to be friendly so they could get something out of you.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Wow I can see why you maybe haven't had the best experience. Do you think this is more indicative of "the industry" as opposed to the city as a whole?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:24 PM

13 posts, read 18,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Great post. I am currently living in NYC (born and raised) and looking to move out to LA in the next couple of years. I personally can't wait and all the negative posts in the world won't change that. I am sick to death of NYC and the depressing weather, rude people (which I know exist everywhere but there really is an overabundance here), and ugly scenery AND, of course, the ridiculous cost of living here. People say LA is overpriced but at least you are getting the beauty that is CA in exchange for the price. Fair trade off, IMO.

Thanks! If you get the chance, plan a trip out here so you can get a better perspective. LA has something for everyone good or bad ... lol. Every city has its great areas and bad areas - that's part of any city in America. But so far my wife and I have been happy with the move. And yes, compared to NYC, you definitely get scenery and actual space ... lol.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM

I find LA to be reasonably priced. I would pay the same amount in Chicago, if not more to live in downtown Chicago. I can live a better lifestyle in LA for slightly less or about the same money. Compared to NYC, LA is probably half the cost.

Food here is pretty reasonable. Produce is cheaper, but meat slightly more expensive than Chicago. Probably similar to NYC. Restaurants are dirt cheap thru extremely expensive, like anywhere. Going out is way cheaper than NYC unless (see below).

LA can be overpriced if you want to live in a Hollywood/Vine or Wilshire Corridor highrise complete with a valet for the building and then go out to the entertainment industry nightclubs 3-4 times a week.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM

4,318 posts, read 5,268,236 times
Sure, compared to NYC, anything is a good deal, but it doesn't matter what you find to be "reasonably priced" because Los Angeles is NOT reasonably priced, it's an extremely high cost of living city. That's not up for debate, that's just a fact. Yes, it's not as high as SF or NYC, but it's higher than every other metro area. The massive sales taxes and income taxes only add to that.

I just got an offer that we have accepted, hopefully goes through, to sell my condo in Downtown and I'm about to buy in Long Beach, will cut my costs massively. I can't wait. Downtown is super expensive.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM

I've found food to be cheaper than in Chicago (other than chicken and meat). Plus there are reasonably priced restaurants in LA.

I think it also depends where on lives. Like you live downtown. That is heavily expensive because it caters to mostly professionals.

Valley is more mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles