U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know when the yearly Armenian thing is in Northridge? At the church? Yeah, I know, dumb question for a Northridge resident. I've been there a few times over the years. They've got pretty damned good food!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,052,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Does anybody know when the yearly Armenian thing is in Northridge? At the church? Yeah, I know, dumb question for a Northridge resident. I've been there a few times over the years. They've got pretty damned good food!
I'm not familiar with the Northridge event but Glendale has several Armenian festivals & such. I think the Persian weekend festival is somewhere in the west San Fernando valley though many of them live in Beverly Hills\ West LA

Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM

305 posts, read 666,554 times
You guys know that Los Angeles has more ethnic enclaves in the city/metro than any other city/metro in America, right? Just throwing it out there.

If there's one thing L.A. has, it's definitely diversity and it has always been a strong point in this cosmopolitan city of ours.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 AM

51 posts, read 115,298 times
What are the costs like for bus/train transport like if you are a student?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:

There's a little market at 19801 Vanowen, the NE corner of Hatillo and Vanowen. It used to be called Hy Armenian Market but I think the name is different. In there they sell the best Armenian Pizzas called Lahmajoon. Whenever I'm back in LA I stop there and pick up a few dozen. They are killer. I don't think anyone there speaks English so you know they are good.

Don't go to the Armenian Market on Ventura boulevard. Those are frozen and not as good.

Armenian Pizza (aka Lahmajoon) Recipe : George Duran : Food Network

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 106,173 times
would argue ppl hate L.A because its such a force in the U.S ...yet isolated from the rest of the country (east and south)

The same can be said for the whole of California..

They are jealous everything is not all old and decayed like "back east" ...and they hate the faact California has no real "winter" so they made up that whole "i loveee 4 seasons " thing to cover their behinds

I also think they hate L.A/California because of the passive agressiveness that goes on....we dont CARE they are "from new jersey" or "new york"...they care about us more than we do them

Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
would argue ppl hate L.A because its such a force in the U.S ...yet isolated from the rest of the country (east and south)

The same can be said for the whole of California..

They are jealous everything is not all old and decayed like "back east" ...and they hate the faact California has no real "winter" so they made up that whole "i loveee 4 seasons " thing to cover their behinds

I also think they hate L.A/California because of the passive agressiveness that goes on....we dont CARE they are "from new jersey" or "new york"...they care about us more than we do them
Actually I think this is quite accurate.

Last edited by timelesschild; 04-28-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM

2,999 posts, read 6,662,062 times
I don't think people hate LA but just don't get it based off of where they are from. I'll agree with another poster that if you look at some of these forums from other cities you will see that either people love a city or hate it, so it is just not LA. The cost of living is the biggest turn off and drawback to this state.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,062,549 times
Quote:
I doubt that Miss Pip has even visited LA.

One of the benefits of LA is the ethnic diversity, appreciated by me because of the great variety of ethnic foods.
I doubt that you even know me to be even saying that. I've been to LA many times. It's just down the road.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:37 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,179,571 times
Default Adjusting to life in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
^^^In order to understand LA, people need to forget about the traditional model where you have one large city centered around a large bustling downtown, with neighborhoods radiating outward from that center, eventually becoming suburbs. LA isn't one city and really never was. Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are separate cities, while the San Fernando Valley is a part of Los Angeles. But I don't think anybody is going to call the Valley "the city" and Santa Monica the suburbs.
You've captured it in a nutshell! I've been in LA (San Fernando Valley) for 3 years now and I'm still getting used to it. I'm from Chicago and perhaps, you know how different the midwest experience is from LA. Just as you said, I was used to everything I wanted being in one location or at least a short jaunt away. At first I hated LA and longed for the midwest. Then I finally realized that I'm responsible for making my life the way I want it to be wherever I am. I'm finally beginning to enjoy myself and explore different areas of the city - I'm still amazed over the size of it and feel like I'll never really know it that well, but at least I'm having a good time finding out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles