U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,895 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My roommate and I have been scouting out apartments in the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica lately, 4 or 5 blocks from the beach - Raymond Ave., Marine St., etc. At one of the apartments we visited recently, a tenant said parking was "creepy" at night. I should have asked her to elaborate, but this comment threw me off a little. It seems like a nice residential area, but how is crime and safety for a young, female professional? Should we seek a place with subterranean parking, or is open parking in the back of a complex safe?

I'm probably making too much of this little offhand comment, but I just wanted to hear an opinion from some others in the area!

Many thanks,

-Zacchaeus86
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM

122 posts, read 221,326 times
Very safe area. A little over the top with police though

Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM

185 posts, read 404,708 times
It's a nice area, but as in any densely populated area, you need to be careful at night.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,895 times
Thanks for your responses!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM

6,239 posts, read 12,013,745 times
i have lived in the area you mentioned for 3 years and have never had any safety issues. the only problems with this neighborhood are finding parking and street sweeping if you don't have off street parking. otherwise, it is easily the best place i've ever lived. main st is lots of fun both during the day and at night. venice is just down the street. everything you ever need could be reached via bicycle or foot if you aren't a fan of the car. and then there is the beach just down the hill. have a blast while you're here, i know that i will miss it whenever i leave.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM

241 posts, read 577,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
It's a nice area, but as in any densely populated area, you need to be careful at night.
don't think densely populated because it is on the coast and is a beach like all other beach cities west of everything in california.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 AM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacchaeus86 View Post
Hi everyone,

My roommate and I have been scouting out apartments in the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica lately, 4 or 5 blocks from the beach - Raymond Ave., Marine St., etc. At one of the apartments we visited recently, a tenant said parking was "creepy" at night. I should have asked her to elaborate, but this comment threw me off a little. It seems like a nice residential area, but how is crime and safety for a young, female professional? Should we seek a place with subterranean parking, or is open parking in the back of a complex safe?
That is one of the nicest, most pleasant, most desirable neighborhoods in all of L.A. County. It may not be overloaded with movie stars like Northern SM (although there are a few) but has a great character and neighborhood feeling one will not find in Northern SM. The "creepiness" probably referred to the lack of parking.

That area is loaded with young female (and male) professionals. You'll be right at home, and perfectly fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 8,679 times
North of Wilshire in SM is generally the safest in the city. It is also predominantly female. Very few single men under the age of 50.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billstone View Post
North of Wilshire in SM is generally the safest in the city.
It's wealthy, and has always been wealthy, long before SM was almost all affluent (with the exception of the Pico Neighborhood). Wilshire isn't even the southern boundary of the VERY affluent anymore ; that's moved south to Santa Monica Blvd. or Broadway (traditionally middle class)

But the safety level of the north is not that different from other parts of SM. Safer than the Pico Neighborhood but on a par with the rest, more or less.

The main difference between North of Wilshire and Ocean Park (other than the north being very sterile) is that the north is dominated by families, while OP is dominated by singles.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 28,481 times
Santa Monica is great for walking and it is safe. Just use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles