Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Truthfully though, the bottom of the market for a prospective buyer should be when the cost to buy is cheaper than the cost to rent. Who cares where the market heads after that, buying at that point reduces your cost.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Truthfully though, the bottom of the market for a prospective buyer should be when the cost to buy is cheaper than the cost to rent. Who cares where the market heads after that, buying at that point reduces your cost.
And at this point, it is cheaper to buy than rent in more and more areas

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And at this point, it is cheaper to buy than rent in more and more areas
Is that factoring in your down payment? Also add taxes, insurance, HOA, Mello roos and repairs. How much more is a roof over your head worth it. I guess the big question is; when would the rents start going up?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Is that factoring in your down payment? Also add taxes, insurance, HOA, Mello roos and repairs. How much more is a roof over your head worth it. I guess the big question is; when would the rents start going up?
with an FHA loan, sure it can be, especially if you're receiving gift funds.

as far as rents going up, probably as soon as the market can bear it. my landlord is trying to rent the fronthouse of my complex for 2500/mo(last family signed up right before the credit market crash at the end of last summer and broke the lease early). backyard with no privacy or fence(apts in the back), 3bd, 2bth. they found a very similar fronthouse right down the street for 1700. right around the corner, a stand alone house(3bd, 2bth) is also up for rent at 2100, and its been empty for 2 months now. its not so much that people are losing their jobs(some are for sure), its that debt is crushing people and the economy is dictating to people to slow down and spend wisely.

i spend 1400/mo on rent right now. im going to purchase a house in a nice neighborhood with an FHA loan shortly and spend less than i am now in rent after taxes and insurance, and thats not including the interest and tax writeoffs

Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
Default Time2Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2reloc View Post
For me, the reason I'm starting to look is because of the "seemingly" low prices, [with the thought that the prices are still going to come down maybe 10-20% next year], and because the interest rates are low, plus the $8K incentive. I realize that it hasn't bottomed out yet, but if I plan to live there permanently, then it's a no-brainer, because it will still go up. Maybe not in the next 3 years, but probably in 10 years or so. During the peak years, no, I never thought that I should buy because "I'll never be able to afford a house". What goes up must come down and what goes down goes back up. That's the universal reality.
Timing to buy or sell real estate has never been an exact science. One can never predict when the bottom is going to hit. Or when the peak is going to happen. By the time you're ready to buy, the property you've been 'eyeballing' is probably gone. Homes on the market are now getting multiple offers. HOmebuyers and investors are back in action. Your best move is look around now, if you see a place that peaks your interest, buy it, especially if it's in good condition and good location because other buyers are most likely have been looking at that property also. So word for the wise: If your intent is to stay long term rather than flip for a quick buck (which is hard to do now), then you'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles