U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM

56 posts, read 163,870 times

Advertisements

How bad IS the roach problem? Are they *really* everywhere? I'm originally from Sac, CA and in one of the apartments we had growing up there were roaches but in the one my dad has lived in for years there have been no roach problems. The apartments were only maybe ten blocks away from each other, is it similar in LA? Are certain areas better than others for roaches?

My husband and I are about to buy a used car, debating between the Jetta and a Volvo (both 90's models), after reading the SUV thread I'm nervous about all the driving in LA, and about our safety. Any advice about either of these cars safety, or parking or gas wise? A friend told me there is no parking in LA, is this true? We are moving from San Francisco, where there is REALLY no parking (which is why we are just now buying a car), so was my friend just exaggerating?

Any help on these two questions will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM

2,999 posts, read 6,662,062 times
Where does your friend live and where are you planning on living? When I lived in Southern CA I NEVER had a roach problem, it might just be where your friend lives and or how well the building management is keeping up the place.

Since you are moving from the bay area, I can tell you that parking in Southern CA is nothing like the bay area and you shouldn't have a problem.

Have you been to visit?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
I lived in two places in LA, and never had a single roach.

When we lived in Hollywood there was a parking problem, although it wasn't as bad as our SF neighborhood. Many less dense neighborhoods don't have much of a problem at all, or at least you can find a spot reasonably fast.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM

252 posts, read 837,244 times
No roaches here, nor have any of my Angelino friends complained of them.

As far as car culture here, it really does help to live close to where you work, so as to avoid long commutes on clogged freeways and surface streets. The parking situation is not that bad, and I think your friend is exaggerating. Most apartments will include one off street parking space, so do make sure you have somewhere to park at home.

If you're concerned about your safety on the road, the best thing you can do is to live close to where you work, minimizing the amount of time you're stuck in your car. Try to live in one of the more pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods, which also helps.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
I've never seen a roach in LA. I have heard of businesses having rat problems, though. The fruit trees feed many creatures - but I've not seen or heard of any roaches.

I seem to be able to park my car everywhere I go - eastside, westside, downtown, urban, suburban and every other kind of area. I think you'll be OK. Your friend sounds like maybe she is frustrated about things and sort of venting.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Phew, glad to hear about the roaches. No roaches in her apartment (she lives in Culver City) but there were a few threads on this board and I gathered the whole of LA was infested!

Good to know about the parking as well, my friend hates LA and so I think she may have been being overly negative. I've been to LA a few times, but this coming weekend will be the first investigative trip, scoping different neighborhoods, etc. I'm gonna be applying for a few intern positions in the Hollywood and Century city areas, but nothing is for sure yet.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks Todd.LA, I'll check out that site!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,495,095 times
I have lived in several apartment buildings in L.A., and we are having a small roach problem for the first time right now. We are extremely clean, but our neighbors - not so much. I think it depends on how old the building is, and how clean your neighbors are! These are the German cockroaches, too, which are nasty! I have heard that a lot of older buildings in L.A. have roach problems.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

What is a german cockroach? I'm scared to google image search.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
I hope to join you in moving from SF to LA soon. Although in my case it would be a move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or