U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,998,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are assuming something about these 2 young ladies..San Diego can be a fun place and very different from Los Angeles or the D.C./Va area. We have lived on both coasts. Because of the lay out of L.A. and the fact they both need jobs and could end working in opposite directions I think, someplace like San Diego might be a good start..The bay area, probably not. The cost of living would be one thing to think about as well as the life style in S.F.

Now, here we are, all giving our views and advise..I wonder what the OP is thinking now...

Nita
The cost of living in the Bay Area and L.A. is about the same. SD's cost of living is pretty similar. Coastal CA even after the real estate crash is still an expensive place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,791,785 times
Cost of living in San Francisco the city is far more expensive than most areas of LA. There are other more affordable areas, of course, if you go outside of the city.

We had sticker shock moving from LA to SF because not only is our rent far more expensive, so are basics like food.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Cost of living in San Francisco the city is far more expensive than most areas of LA. There are other more affordable areas, of course, if you go outside of the city.

We had sticker shock moving from LA to SF because not only is our rent far more expensive, so are basics like food.
Living in SF and being from LA the COL seems pretty similar - EXCEPT that owning a car in SF is very expensive, more expensive than L.A. OTOH you can live carless in SF very easily and by not owning a car your COL might be less than LA.

The difference is that LA went from being a very cheap city to a very expensive city, whereas SF was long California's most expensive city and got more expensive as time went on.

The only US city that's <i>significantly</i> more expensive than LA is NYC.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,791,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Living in SF and being from LA the COL seems pretty similar - EXCEPT that owning a car in SF is very expensive, more expensive than L.A. OTOH you can live carless in SF very easily and by not owning a car your COL might be even less than LA.

The difference is that LA went from being a very cheap city to a very expensive city, whereas SF was long California's most expensive city and got more expensive as time went on.
I agree with you on your second point, but not necessarily on the first. We owned a car in LA (although my husband used it, and only for work - I don't drive and got around LA by bus and foot) but got rid of it when moving to SF, and even after losing the car-related expenses our COL is still higher in SF than in LA. I suppose maybe if we were car-addicts and went from a family of several cars and several drivers down to no cars and no drivers then we would have had more significant savings. Not that the savings on even one person's insurance, etc., weren't large, but they didn't go far enough to offset higher rent, food, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree with you on your second point, but not necessarily on the first. We owned a car in LA (although my husband used it, and only for work - I don't drive and got around LA by bus and foot) but got rid of it when moving to SF, and even after losing the car-related expenses our COL is still higher in SF than in LA. I suppose maybe if we were car-addicts and went from a family of several cars and several drivers down to no cars and no drivers then we would have had more significant savings. Not that the savings on even one person's insurance, etc., weren't large, but they didn't go far enough to offset higher rent, food, etc.
SF's rents might be slightly pricier just because the RE crash hasn't hit The City as hard. Mainly because the Bay Area economy including SF isn't quite as bad as L.A.'s is (although other forms of social dysfunction are the same in both cities, with crime being higher in SF). Food isn't any more expensive IMO.

There isn't a noticeable difference (other than for car related expenses) like one would find between L.A. and N.Y. or L.A. and London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles