U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM

317 posts, read 704,990 times

Advertisements

I just scheduled a trip to LA for a 2 week stay. I've got to check it out for myself before I move out there and see if it's worth it. Im staying within 3 miles of the airport and will rent a car. I just looked at the LA county map and it's a vast city.

Things I want to see and do (keep in mind i'm 25yrs old, so no shuffleboard outings):
Downtown LA <-- Is there anything interesting there. I like the architecture from all the pictures I see. I want to take some photos for myself.
The Beach <--- Which one or which ones are a must to go check out.
The Typical Movie Stuff <----Not on the top of my list but might as well see why LA is movie central, where are these attractions at Hollywood, Beverly Hills..Etc?
Nightlife <-----Where are the drinks good and the women good on the eyes.

Any other suggestions to make LA a memorable trip and make me want to definitely make the move out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM

64 posts, read 160,038 times
Downtown LA - If you go there definitely check out the Bradbury building. You know where they filmed some major scenes of Blade Runner. There is also a pretty interesting market in downtown, the kind where I saw sheep heads on display. Otherwise Little Tokyo, China Town. There are some good restaurants there. Get yourself a restaurant guide.
The Beach - Most obvious is Santa Monica and Malibu. Both are touristy, overrated and overpriced. If you keep driving North on 1 you will find nice public beaches.
The Typical Movie Stuff - Hollywood is a tourist trap, but at least not as grimy as it used to be. Also check out Sunset Boulvard for related experience. Driving down on part of Mullholland Drive might be nice.
Nightlife - Sorry, I can't help you there.Check out Griffith Park. The observatory is Mandatory for tourists.Note of caution: There are some very sketchy areas not for from the airport. Be sure not to make wrong turns.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,044,894 times
I don't understand why you want to stay near the airport. Even three miles is too close. Do you enjoy the sound of jet engines? I think you should stay somewhere near the beach because there's a zillion things to do there, including nightlife. I'm not the nightlife type so perhaps others can give you specific advice. Maybe stay in Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, or farther north in Santa Monica. I think the best nightlife would probably be in Redondo and Hermosa, near the beach. However, the closer you get to the beach the more expensive it will be.

The movie stuff is in Universal City, in the southeast part of the San Fernando Valley. I think you want the Universal Studios. I haven't been there. I'm not the movie tour type either.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't understand why you want to stay near the airport. Even three miles is too close. Do you enjoy the sound of jet engines? I think you should stay somewhere near the beach because there's a zillion things to do there, including nightlife. I'm not the nightlife type so perhaps others can give you specific advice. Maybe stay in Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, or farther north in Santa Monica. I think the best nightlife would probably be in Redondo and Hermosa, near the beach. However, the closer you get to the beach the more expensive it will be.

The movie stuff is in Universal City, in the southeast part of the San Fernando Valley. I think you want the Universal Studios. I haven't been there. I'm not the movie tour type either.
Im Staying in El Segundo it says its 2 miles from airport. Its the closest place to 2 job interviews I have lined up. Is El Segundo Noisy because of the Planes?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM

64 posts, read 160,038 times
Universal City is the worst tourist trap in town. Crowded, noisy, crappy food. I would avoid it at all costs. You could instead go on a Warner Bros tour.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
Universal City is the worst tourist trap in town. Crowded, noisy, crappy food. I would avoid it at all costs. You could instead go on a Warner Bros tour.
I may just drive over there and take a few pictures, buy a T-shirt and call it a day when it comes to thoses types of places. This type of stuff is definitly on the bottom of my LA trip list.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,044,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Im Staying in El Segundo it says its 2 miles from airport. Its the closest place to 2 job interviews I have lined up. Is El Segundo Noisy because of the Planes?
Search Google maps for LAX and then search again for El Segundo. If LAX isn't in El Segundo then it's the first thing bordering El Segundo to the north. It's not what I would call a "nice" area. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
There's a reason I've never been there! I've lived in LA my whole life. I have zero interest in any and all of the tourist spots. I based my suggestion on television commercials. The only two reasons I can think of to visit LA is (1) seeking employment like the OP, or (2) visiting relatives.

Since the OP is seeking employment, and presumably he is looking around to see where he might live if he gets the job (Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach!) he should drive around and get a feel for where he would be living. If I worked in the area his interviews are I would live as near the beach as affordable. If you work in the South Bay area there's no reason to look for a place to live outside that area unless you can't afford to live there.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM

How bad is the area around the airport?

I do have a rental car and Im planning on being out and about for most the time. Im sure the hotels are secure for tourist because it wasnt a cheap hotel.
I dont plan on living near the airport when I move to LA either. I have friends here in Miami that live near the airport and all that noise is annoying.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 PM

16 posts, read 39,475 times
Default Things to Do in LA

Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Venice Beach, Sunset Boulevard, Santa Monica Pier, Knott's Berry Farm, QueenMary, Six Flags Magic Mountain

Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM

122 posts, read 460,432 times
As far as beaches go, if you want something more laid back, try Manhattan Beach. To be immersed in a more carnivalesque atmosphere, check out Venice, rent a bike for three hours and ride the bike path north towards Santa Monica and the Palisades. As far as nightlife goes, you might want to check out the Sunset Strip, though I personally prefer to avoid both that area and Hollywood Blvd., though for you if you want the LA nightlife experience, those are probably the spots you want to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles