U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM

62 posts, read 211,782 times

Advertisements

I haven't been up to the mountains yet, no...haven't even explored San Gabriel yet.

And I once drove down from SF but it was so foggy, we couldn't even see the water at Big Sur. And it's so expensive there, I wouldn't get a hotel there. If you know of any great camping spots (Big Sur or elsewhere) where I could plunk down a tent..that would be sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM

5,140 posts, read 11,732,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdodgerguy View Post
I haven't been up to the mountains yet, no...haven't even explored San Gabriel yet.

And I once drove down from SF but it was so foggy, we couldn't even see the water at Big Sur. And it's so expensive there, I wouldn't get a hotel there. If you know of any great camping spots (Big Sur or elsewhere) where I could plunk down a tent..that would be sweet.
Yeah, bummer you hit the fog. It has been pretty sunny this year. But the fog is a *really* cool time to hike amoung the redwoods.

As far as camping goes that is a great way to do Big Sur in an affordable way. Check this link out for camping - Big Sur Camping.

Another good tip is that a large section of Big Sur is a part of the Los Padres Nation Forest. So you can pretty much car camp for free if there are no openings at the campground. I took my son for a little overnight camping a couple of weeks ago and found all the sites full. So we found a beautiful lookout pullout just south of Lucia and basically slept in our van right here:

A ranger came by to talk with us in the AM to check out what we were doing. When I explained we were there to take pictures and enjoy the area he said great - no hassle at all. Of course I am sure there are limits as to what one can do there in terms of pitching a tent. I don't know if they still let you do that on the beach.

Derek

Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM

64 posts, read 160,072 times
The Los Padros National forest between the 1 and 101 is really nice. There are also some very remote camping grounds there. There is an old Spanish mission - Mission San Antonio - somewhere there. I once took a trip out there. I drove on a narrow mystery blacktop, stop by a brook that was ice cold in the middle of summer. Then I found myself on top of a mountain, in the forest, surrounded by tall pine trees, and with a great view of the ocean.

Further south there is vine country and a couple of lakes.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM

You could also take a road trip through the mountains north of LA. I took this picture on a rainy day along Bouquet Canyon Rd.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
You could also take a road trip through the mountains north of LA. I took this picture on a rainy day along Bouquet Canyon Rd.
That's very nice country back there. Good pic.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 PM

I just drove on Kanan-Dume Rd back from Zuma Beach and there was some tall shrubbery all along the road with bright yellow flowers. It smelled real good too.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, bummer you hit the fog. It has been pretty sunny this year. But the fog is a *really* cool time to hike amoung the redwoods.

As far as camping goes that is a great way to do Big Sur in an affordable way. Check this link out for camping - Big Sur Camping.

Another good tip is that a large section of Big Sur is a part of the Los Padres Nation Forest. So you can pretty much car camp for free if there are no openings at the campground. I took my son for a little overnight camping a couple of weeks ago and found all the sites full. So we found a beautiful lookout pullout just south of Lucia and basically slept in our van right here:

A ranger came by to talk with us in the AM to check out what we were doing. When I explained we were there to take pictures and enjoy the area he said great - no hassle at all. Of course I am sure there are limits as to what one can do there in terms of pitching a tent. I don't know if they still let you do that on the beach.

Derek

Those are amazing pictures. I wonder if you can pitch a tent there...I drive a civic coupe

Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
The Los Padros National forest between the 1 and 101 is really nice. There are also some very remote camping grounds there. There is an old Spanish mission - Mission San Antonio - somewhere there. I once took a trip out there. I drove on a narrow mystery blacktop, stop by a brook that was ice cold in the middle of summer. Then I found myself on top of a mountain, in the forest, surrounded by tall pine trees, and with a great view of the ocean.

Further south there is vine country and a couple of lakes.

do you have any weblink for more info on that?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 PM

735 posts, read 1,412,723 times
To the poster who says Laguna Beach is like any other SoCal beach, I say, you must have never been there. It is by far, the most unique beach in SoCal. Look at these pics. Definitely worth the drive.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdodgerguy View Post
do you have any weblink for more info on that?
Los Padres National Forest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or