Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times

Advertisements

Just got back from In-n-out today for lunch.

$8.71 for a double double, cheeseburger, hamburger and drink (lunch for 3). Already had two other drinks. Fatburger would have been $15-18, two fatburgers and kingburger and a drink.

I dont know where else you'd go for under $10 for 3, and find something good and fresh.

When I think about the other places...mcdonalds, carls jr, burger king...they're just too nasty in comparison. Too much sauce and mayonaise for a carls jr burger. The other places are too inconsistent. Do you really know what your burger would taste like in comparison to a fresh in-n-out burger?

In-n-out has a story that can grow on you if you're tired of the big coporate chains. It's a refuge to the McCorporatization of food and of small business.

"In n out has wrapped its products in paper since 1948", so says my burger wrapper.

They're a business that's believable and real.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
if anybody here has an inside track to this "Mrs. Snyder's grandaughter" person, please tell her not to change a thing.....I hope she knows this already.....

if a major policy change is made, it could be disastrous for all involved....

I did hear there was a bit of a family fight a few years ago as the heirs decided what to do with the business....

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course food is subjective. Just because almost everyone loves In and Out for the money, there will always be a few who prefer some other fast food. As for being like a Micky Ds burger??? Not in any way. Is it better? To most yes, but regardless it is not like any other burger. The closest might be Burger King. In and Out uses a sause very different than MD, they have huge slices of fresh lettuce and tomatoes, plus real onions. The slices are not paper thin nor diced and chopped. The fires, sometimes, not cooked quite long enough are never dry or after eating them for almost 60 years I have never had a dry one.

It sounds like you went into your experiment not expecting to be satisfied so you were not. and, yes, there are others who do not worship the In and Out burger, but not many. As for being incredible over rated, that is a slight exageration, maybe over rated, but not incredible..Again, my opinion only.

Nita
Right on. All I know is anytime I pass an In & Out that they are always packed, day and night.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM

161 posts, read 573,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I apologize in advance for the sacrilege.

When I told people I was moving here, many of them said "Oh! You HAVE to go to In-N-Out!" When I tell people that I now live here, In-N-Out is one of the first things they mention. And of course, whenever you drive by, there is a line snaking out of the parking lot into the street. There's an article in today's LA Times referring to In-N-Out as "perfection."

So I went, hoping for this amazing experience. And I got:

A cheeseburger that basically tastes like a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Fries that, while I appreciate they're made from real potatoes, were dry and unremarkable.

A Coke that was fine.

I know, sometimes a restaurant can have an off day. So I went back to the In-N-Out in my neighborhood several times. And I went to several different locations in other parts of town. I really wanted to give it a chance. But I had pretty much the same experience every time. I think I'm done trying.

I know, I know: In-N-Out is homegrown. They butcher and deliver their own meat, bake their own buns, slice their own fries. They apparently pay their employees a very good wage and have generous incentives for top managers. That's great. They sound like a good corporation.

But the food itself? Eh. For fast food, frankly, I prefer Wendy's or Burger King.

I know that many here will find this appalling. I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if there are others out there who don't understand the In-N-Out worship.
Athough I don't think IN-N-OUT is INCREDIBLY overrated, I definitely agree that it IS overrated. I used to go there quite often (especially after I first moved out to Cali), but now that I' am on a strict diet (which I have lost over 20lbs on so far), I don't care to touch fast food at all. In fact, 99 percent of the time, I will NOT eat out at a fast food joint or other sit-in restaurant. If I do eat out at a fast food joint, it will only be a "once in a blue moon" occurance, and it will not necessarily be IN-N-OUT. Yeah, all of the ingredients are fresh, but so what? The food is still NOT HEALTHY for you. The Burgers, Fries, Shakes, ect. are LOADED with Sodium, Fat, Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, Sugars, Calories, ect, which, of course, is stuff that is bad for you if you intake too much. If you ever wonder why there is a sizable obese (no offense to anyone, btw) population in So Cal, it's because so many people are constantly eating out at places like IN-N-OUT and other restaurants such as Denny's, Rubios, On The Border Mexican Grill, Baja Fresh, Marie Calendars, Mimi's Cafe (the list could go on and on), ect. I also think that eating at IN-N-OUT is a fad/trend, just like eating Sushi. Personally, I don't care how popular something is. If it is not healthy and causes me to gain even a little weight, then I will NOT be a part of the craze. Then again, I' am not a fan of fads/trends.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
Athough I don't think IN-N-OUT is INCREDIBLY overrated, I definitely agree that it IS overrated. I used to go there quite often (especially after I first moved out to Cali), but now that I' am on a strict diet (which I have lost over 20lbs on so far), I don't care to touch fast food at all. In fact, 99 percent of the time, I will NOT eat out at a fast food joint or other sit-in restaurant. If I do eat out at a fast food joint, it will only be a "once in a blue moon" occurance, and it will not necessarily be IN-N-OUT. Yeah, all of the ingredients are fresh, but so what? The food is still NOT HEALTHY for you. The Burgers, Fries, Shakes, ect. are LOADED with Sodium, Fat, Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, Sugars, Calories, ect, which, of course, is stuff that is bad for you if you intake too much. If you ever wonder why there is a sizable obese (no offense to anyone, btw) population in So Cal, it's because so many people are constantly eating out at places like IN-N-OUT and other restaurants such as Denny's, Rubios, On The Border Mexican Grill, Baja Fresh, Marie Calendars, Mimi's Cafe (the list could go on and on), ect. I also think that eating at IN-N-OUT is a fad/trend, just like eating Sushi. Personally, I don't care how popular something is. If it is not healthy and causes me to gain even a little weight, then I will NOT be a part of the craze. Then again, I' am not a fan of fads/trends.
What you are saying has nothing to do with the subject. Of course, no one is claiming any fast food is healthy, however InNout may be a little better. That is not the point.

Good for you, keep up the good work, continue lossing weight, but dont' confuse that with what is or is not tasty.

NO, InNout is not a trend, it has been a huge draw for for 60 plus years, quite a trend!!!!

The point here, and the debate, is InNout as good as or better than the average fast food dining experience and has nothing to do with you and your desire to eat healthy..

Nita

Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Agree completely with Del Taco and the fries. Don't know if it is because they are crinkle fries, but they are always perfectly cooked. I don't think I've ever tasted a burger of theirs - - always go with the Mexican side with the fries.

As for the drinks, how could the best selection NOT be Sonic - - they have thousand of combinations!
Thousands of combinations....and only maybe 8 that are worth anything. Those being the slushies or whatever. Peanut Butter shake? Come on.

Besides, I'm talking about standard beverages. Sonic sucks if you just want a plain drink. Which is ironic since they try to be a throwback to the 50's - you'd think they could do a Coke right.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I don't eat fast food, but my brother swears by the "secret" In-N-Out menu that is not posted anywhere.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if anybody here has an inside track to this "Mrs. Snyder's grandaughter" person
Here she is...write her. Lynsi Martinez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I'm fond of their double-doubles. Hold the fries.

One thing I like about them is that the meat, produce, etc. is delivered fresh every other day and there are no freezers in their restaurants. Real food for real people.

For those who like them, sorry about this but McDonald's hamburger patties could be just so much cardboard in my estimation.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,054 times
The Hamburgers are one of the best.How one can compare these to crappy McDonalds is beyond me.

I will agree the fry's are the worst.. I always ask for well done fry's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles