Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM

317 posts, read 819,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Absolutely. I also blame the brain dead people who perpetuate this cancerous culture by buying the product.
Then we agree, there needs to be diversity in the Hip Hop Industry. Some people like idiotic music and I'm not saying get rid of the 50 cents out there, but add some diversity so smart people like us can listen to hip hop and actually not want to vomit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
We need more like Run DMC. Rap with an intellectual flavor.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
The business of Rap music is in deep decline despite the fact that the musical genre itself has spread to become ubiquitous in popular culture.

There seems to be a connection between the current "gangster" trend and the decline of Rap sales. Many people believe that the music industry has abandoned it's middle class fan base.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We need more like Run DMC. Rap with an intellectual flavor.
Exactly but instead we are stuck with this:

Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Exactly but instead we are stuck with this:
Kanye West epitomizes the commercially prevailing type of rap in the 21st century: not intellectual/political stuff and wordplay (that often approached Beat poetry) like in the '80s, nor the "gangstaism" of the '90s, but getting laid. Which is an improvement over the gangster stuff, but which essentially proves that hip hop is essentially today's hair metal. Which can be both a good and bad thing.

BTW, there was a suspect in the Dolla killing caught at LAX - and it was another Atlanta rapper.

Alleged Dolla shooter identified | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

So fortunately this wasn't an East Coast/West Coast feud like the type that did generate more violence on L.A.'s streets, but an Atlanta feud that resulted in murder in L.A. Also, the LAPD caught someone right away (a big difference from Biggie's murder).

Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,586 times
SMH at this ridiculous topic title.

I just don't know what to say to all these ignorant comments.

Generalizations FTL in this thread.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Jimmy Iovine the CEO of Interscope Records (who is Jewish and probably hates rap, but overseas rappers like 50 cent)
I thought 50c lived in CT.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,605,568 times
Channel 7 reported that the suspect in the killing is also from Atlanta. Maybe it was someone who has had a dispute with the rapper [perhaps over a girl

Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,063,864 times
First, I know the people around the Beverly Center were shocked out of their minds that there was a shooting at that mall.

Did I miss something? The authorities have not released a motive for the killing so why are there the comments on this board that rappers are caring a beef and or are drug dealers? I am not into rap but so for have not been able to make the same connections many of you have made.

The killing could have happened for some many reasons. Why not wait and see what happens?

Rockers have their share of problems too. I wouldn't want to have my children think it is ok to overdose on drugs or go to extreme with their bodies because it is better to idealize Rock stars over rappers. Is rap still alive anyways? I can't say when the last time it was that a rap song came on the radio. Hip hop is still going strong but crime and criminal activity and behavior happens all within the music industry just depends on how you look at it. Rock stars have been demeaning towards women too for a long time, half the time they are hardly wearing any clothes and end up strung out on drugs.

Anyways, I am not familar with the artist and feel bad for his parents and am happy they caught the person who is responsible for the crime.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
First, I know the people around the Beverly Center were shocked out of their minds that there was a shooting at that mall.

Did I miss something? The authorities have not released a motive for the killing so why are there the comments on this board that rappers are caring a beef and or are drug dealers? I am not into rap but so for have not been able to make the same connections many of you have made.

The killing could have happened for some many reasons. Why not wait and see what happens?

Rockers have their share of problems too. I wouldn't want to have my children think it is ok to overdose on drugs or go to extreme with their bodies because it is better to idealize Rock stars over rappers. Is rap still alive anyways? I can't say when the last time it was that a rap song came on the radio. Hip hop is still going strong but crime and criminal activity and behavior happens all within the music industry just depends on how you look at it. Rock stars have been demeaning towards women too for a long time, half the time they are hardly wearing any clothes and end up strung out on drugs.

Anyways, I am not familar with the artist and feel bad for his parents and am happy they caught the person who is responsible for the crime.

From the news report there was an argument. Apparently it was bad enough that someone who could afford a Mercedes Truck pulled out a gun and killed the young man and also lost his own freedom. I think the overly glamorized tough guy image in rap causes problems. I mean a Rocker can wear a dress and lipstick and still have fans. Imagine Jay-Z in a dress how credible would he be to his fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles