Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The L.A. chief of police and the LA county Sheriff do not give out concealed carry permits and haven't for years.
The LAPD and LASD are not the only law enforcement agencies in LA County. Some of the smaller departments give them out, for a very high price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
It's weird that a guy would travel all the way from Atlanta to kill "Dolla" over some incident a week ago! Then the murderer claims he was only defending himself yet no gun was found of the rapper & his entourage.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And not that far away from where Biggie Smalls got shot:

Man fatally shot at entrance to Beverly Center [Updated] | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Why do rappers have to carry their beefs with each other into outright shooting? It's really retarded. Rock figures don't do this kind of thing, nor did they ever (with the obvious exception of Phil Spector), nor did any R&B, soul, funk, or jazz guys, no matter how harsh of a background they came from. Even the rock figures from the most seriously "thug" backgrounds like Liam Gallagher don't resort to guns to settle their beefs. This is really stupid Moderator cut: language and knowing how rap feuds gone violent have been in the past there's a good chance this might lead to more stupid violence.

Thoughts?
Certain people... especially the 'well established, music/movie producing crowd' in Hollywood make hundreds of millions of dollars selling this ghetto garbage to white suburbanite kids.

This Kaballah crowd was not born with a moral conscience...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And not that far away from where Biggie Smalls got shot:

Man fatally shot at entrance to Beverly Center [Updated] | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Why do rappers have to carry their beefs with each other into outright shooting? It's really retarded. Rock figures don't do this kind of thing, nor did they ever (with the obvious exception of Phil Spector), nor did any R&B, soul, funk, or jazz guys, no matter how harsh of a background they came from. Even the rock figures from the most seriously "thug" backgrounds like Liam Gallagher don't resort to guns to settle their beefs. This is really stupid Moderator cut: language and knowing how rap feuds gone violent have been in the past there's a good chance this might lead to more stupid violence.

Thoughts?

I remember a few months ago I read an article that listed all the rappers who were killed or who died from issues related to the rap lifestyle from the late 80's to about 2007 and I was shocked as to how long the list was. I mean, it was LONG! The article also stated that you can add thousands more to the list if you factor all the men and women who were influenced by the music and were killed.

As a black man I showed the list to one of my friends who was also black and he quickly came against the person who typed up the article then went on a tangent about rock music.

Anyhow, the article summed it up correctly in stating that the rap lifestyle is a dangerous one and that for the majority of the guys who pursue this career wind up dead or with poor health because of all the late nights spent in smoke filled rooms/clubs.

Speaking from experience, the black man in America has no culture/language so the youngsters (including myself at one time) look up to the "rap industry" as to where to get basic standards from, however; sadly the standards that have been set by the rap industry is just a mere fantasy that when re enacted in real life leads to death, jail and a lot of broken homes.

Last edited by Morphous01; 05-21-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Speaking from experience, the black man in America has no culture/language so the youngsters (including myself at one time) look up to the "rap industry" as to where to get basic standards from, however; sadly the standards that have been set by the rap industry is just a mere fantasy that when re enacted in real life leads to death, jail and a lot of broken homes.
Black men have no culture? Culture is simply the norms and customs for a defined group of people. Everyone who belongs to any group has a culture. Not only that, we all have multiple cultures. Anyway you can define a group you can outline a culture for that group. Church goers have a culture, gangs have a culture, fraternities have a culture, and yes, black men in America have one too.

Also, where did black men get standards of conduct from in the days before rap music? Why were Dr. King and Malcolm wearing suits and ties in almost every picture of them I have ever seen? Attire is part of a person's culture. They picked it up from somewhere. Just like rappers picked up baggy pants and white t-shirts (prison culture).

I'm not trying to go off topic or bash your post. I just think the statement highlighted is really off base. For many black men Hip Hop culture IS their culture, for better or worse. If it is filling an empty void it is a void of fathers and male role models. And if that is the case, then rap music is not really the problem. It is the symptom. Calling rap music out is fine, but it won't get us any closer to a solution. Rap music didn't cause fatherless homes. Fatherless homes led to a generation of angry, deviant young men who express that anger on records.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM

58 posts, read 192,570 times
Hip-hop has become the most irrelevant and meaningless form of music black people have ever created.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude1 View Post
black men have no culture? Culture is simply the norms and customs for a defined group of people. Everyone who belongs to any group has a culture. Not only that, we all have multiple cultures. Anyway you can define a group you can outline a culture for that group. Church goers have a culture, gangs have a culture, fraternities have a culture, and yes, black men in america have one too.

Also, where did black men get standards of conduct from in the days before rap music? Why were dr. King and malcolm wearing suits and ties in almost every picture of them i have ever seen? Attire is part of a person's culture. They picked it up from somewhere. Just like rappers picked up baggy pants and white t-shirts (prison culture).

I'm not trying to go off topic or bash your post. I just think the statement highlighted is really off base. For many black men hip hop culture is their culture, for better or worse. If it is filling an empty void it is a void of fathers and male role models. And if that is the case, then rap music is not really the problem. It is the symptom. Calling rap music out is fine, but it won't get us any closer to a solution. Rap music didn't cause fatherless homes. Fatherless homes led to a generation of angry, deviant young men who express that anger on records.
exactly.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbullet View Post
Hip-hop has become the most irrelevant and meaningless form of music black people have ever created.
What music IS relevant and meaningful? Music is not supposed cure aids, or cancer, or stop wars, or father children, therefore EVERY music is meaningless. Music is just for entertainment, entertainment in not essential to sustain human life, therefore ALL music, and not just rap, is meanigless and irrelevant, that is if we're going by what you said.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
"hip hop violence" (read: violence perpetrated by people who like hip hop) never left LA, or anywhere else for that matter. There just hasn't been a high profile incident for some time.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Black men have no culture? Culture is simply the norms and customs for a defined group of people. Everyone who belongs to any group has a culture. Not only that, we all have multiple cultures. Anyway you can define a group you can outline a culture for that group. Church goers have a culture, gangs have a culture, fraternities have a culture, and yes, black men in America have one too.
Let me rephrase my statement, black people in America have no culture of there own that was developed out of the ancient world.

Quote:
Also, where did black men get standards of conduct from in the days before rap music? Why were Dr. King and Malcolm wearing suits and ties in almost every picture of them I have ever seen? Attire is part of a person's culture. They picked it up from somewhere. Just like rappers picked up baggy pants and white t-shirts (prison culture).
Black people in the states got there standards from the Caucasoid; the clothes, the Gods, the family structure, achievement and even there last name (Johnson, Smith )all due to the fact that we are a conquered group of people.

Quote:
For many black men Hip Hop culture IS their culture, for better or worse.
Yes, I agree, but my point is black people hold on to the hip hop culture for better or worse because it's one of the few things that we all can agree on and enjoy because it's a product of our own.

However, (and this takes me back to my original post) hip hop has now become commercialized and it's no longer a creation by the people for the people but it's Sony or Geffen using rap music at the expense of black people as well as black so called musicians who sell out there own people by producing garbage then embarrassing us even further by getting high on cough syrup and snorting the China white then winding up dead in hotels.

Quote:
If it is filling an empty void it is a void of fathers and male role models. And if that is the case, then rap music is not really the problem. It is the symptom. Calling rap music out is fine, but it won't get us any closer to a solution. Rap music didn't cause fatherless homes. Fatherless homes led to a generation of angry, deviant young men who express that anger on records.

Rap music is not the direct cause of fatherless homes however rap music as we know of it today is a major contributor to keeping black people confused and naturalized.

Last edited by Morphous01; 05-22-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles