Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times

Advertisements

If I were you, Orange County would be worth looking into. More pleasant place to live and more conservative (in other words, more business friendly) and with better crime stats. But it is expensive to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
OK, you're just looking to dispel preconceptions.

...I don't know that I can do that...

If you're looking for shallow people you're certainly going to find them. If you're afraid all your friends will be shallow, that's a different issue. If you're afraid you'll have no friends, that's the same issue but deeper.

The thing is, when I moved to Boulder, CO, years ago, I wasn't looking for Mork and Mindy. When I lived in Queens I wasn't looking for Archie Bunker. (In San Francisco, yes I suppose I could have been inspired to seek out and assassinate the Full House kids.) None of that occurred to me, though it was indeed easier in some and harder in other locations to find my own place there; but, at heart, that had nothing to do with the city. I know this sounds like parent-speak, but I really don't know what else to tell ya. So make getting to know intelligent, down-to-earth people one of your ambitions...?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
^ Great post, Bunjee!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
People are people, it is that simple. Yes, if you think of yourself as an intellect and want to be around nothing but your type you may want to look at places like, someone said, OC or perhaps Westwood, certainly not West Hollywood I wouldn't think. If you are looking for areas that remind you of say, Mid Manhattan or Boston forget L.A period.
This isn't meant to blast anywhere, just to make you realize the west coast and east coast are very different. San Francisco would be the closest to life on the east. You will be happier if you look for how different and interesting Ca is, then trying to find a place like you are leaving.

Nita

Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
My wife works with ivy leaguers in santa monica and i've met a few myself, so I know they're here. however, LA isn't really an intellectual town, certainly not in the vein of SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, etc. with that said, there are plenty of smart people here who make a lot of money. understand though that much of our economy revolves around the entertainment industry. even if you don't end up working directly in the business, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of other companies out there that service the large media companies in one way or another. there's also the standard big four accounting representation, as well as regional banks and small financial companies, but the economy doesn't feel as diversified as the numbers say. most of those other jobs have to do with the service sector, manufacturing, and the ports, which may or may not interest you. I almost forgot the shrinking aerospace industry that still has a decent sized presence.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

13 posts, read 41,100 times
honest opinion of LA ???

well, from a ivy grad female who moved to LA twice (don't ask), in the 1980's ...........

there is NO BETTER place for a young person with ambition and talent to be. i was pulled out via a former boss in 1986, for decent money and a couple of free months in the residence inn in torrance (free donuts and booze !!).

i ended up loving LA. various twists and turns popped up in life ... it's 23 years later, and i'm heading back to LA this summer to start my business. guess it's good for oldie moldies with ambition and drive !!

a couple of points ...............

......... lose the tude. no one really cares if you are an ivy league graduate. you need to prove yourself on what you can do, not where you came from. everyone here has an impressive large sized horn they can toot. don't toot it.

.......... the school can't do Moderator cut: language to get you a job. you need to work it and perform and impress the right people the old fashioned way. then you are golden.

.............. if you are starting a new life, don't classify people and situations by the past. open yourself up to a new way of life and what people can be, and you will both succeed and be happier.

good luck making that decision.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Langage

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantOut456 View Post
honest opinion of LA ???

well, from a ivy grad female who moved to LA twice (don't ask), in the 1980's ...........

there is NO BETTER place for a young person with ambition and talent to be. i was pulled out via a former boss in 1986, for decent money and a couple of free months in the residence inn in torrance (free donuts and booze !!).

i ended up loving LA. various twists and turns popped up in life ... it's 23 years later, and i'm heading back to LA this summer to start my business. guess it's good for oldie moldies with ambition and drive !!

......... lose the tude. no one really cares if you are an ivy league graduate. you need to prove yourself on what you can do, not where you came from. everyone here has an impressive large sized horn they can toot. don't toot it.

.......... the school can't do Moderator cut: language to get you a job. you need to work it and perform and impress the right people the old fashioned way. then you are golden.

.............. if you are starting a new life, don't classify people and situations by the past. open yourself up to a new way of life and what people can be, and you will both succeed and be happier.

What a down to earth and honest posting!!!

Nita

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 41,100 times
thanks, nita, i try to to cut through the Moderator cut: language, when ever i can.

the whole world is different than it was 23 years ago. the upswing boom times are over. the lean rougher times are here. LA is more crowded, more rigid, more tense than it used to be.

but somethings remain the same ............ like people. are people in LA shallow ??? well, hell yeah, some ARE. but some are cool and groovy and not into classfying others right out of the chute. in a large diverse area like lA, one can pick the types of people one wants. one can create, or re-create, oneself endlessly.

but the upside definitely has a downside to it. that's what the 23 years since 1986 taught me.

i like this comment ............ Massive competition driven by unparalleled opportunity all of which creates an environment which is exiting and dynamic, for the few who are successful the rest will crash and burn.

i've succeeded a time or two. i've crashed and burned a few times also. LA is a FABULOUS place to play out the dynamic.

but always always ALWAYS save yourself energy and time by cutting through the Moderator cut: language.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2009 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantOut456 View Post
honest opinion of LA ???

that was a great post!!! Although I didn't attend a prestigious university, my experiences in LA have been that having harvard or yale on your resume only helps you get your foot in the door. Beyond that, it is up to you and your own initiative. people in LA don't really talk (or care for that matter) about what college you went to, where you are from or what your family does for work.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2009 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,441 times
As exciting as a city LA is, it is NOT ideal for just starting your career, even if you've lived in CA yopur whole life. The cost of living is the biggest factor. You probably dont make much when you are fresh out of college, but then your salary progresses as your career does. When youve been working for a while and have significantly more money saved, LA may be well-suited. But not until. Do you know how many people go to CA or L.A. fresh out of college, hoping to make their dreams come true, and then fail? Their dream often becomes a nightmare. Employers in L.A. and the rest of CA know people want to live there, so they seek only the cream of the crop. As the one poster said, "LA is the place to go to watch your dreams die." Please dont let this discourage you, its just reality. But good luck nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles