Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 12,412 times

Advertisements

What makes LA the ideal city for an intelligent, ambitious, (male) college grad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
It's not ideal unless you get a job lined up before moving here.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
It's not an ideal city for an intelligent, ambitious college grad unless you have a major bankroll and experience to get you a job to pay the bills. If you're just starting out, I'd try a different city. LA is where dreams die more than they're made.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
It's too crowded here. I think you should look somewhere else.

Right now, unemployment is really high too -- so unless you don't need a job...

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I'm going to go with what UB50&bhcompy said.And I'm going to leave it at that.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygrad10 View Post
What makes LA the ideal city for an intelligent, ambitious, (male) college grad?
What makes you think it is the ideal city or are you hoping some of us will say it is and convince you?

If you have a decent job, there are lots of positives about all of So Ca, it is pretty, diverse, good weather (even with the smog) and fairly laid back plus they have great sport teams, both college and pro. If you are not a sports fan that may not make a difference to you.

It is crowded (depending on where you come from this could be an issue or not one) very expensive living, outrageous taxes on everything, lacking in really good rapid transit thus you spend hours on freeways every day and the crime and gang problems really exist.

Hope this helps you a little.

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygrad10 View Post
Massive competition driven by unparalleled opportunity all of which creates an environment which is exiting and dynamic, for the few who are successful the rest will crash and burn.

What have you done and what would you like to do in the future?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Massive competition driven by unparalleled opportunity all of which creates an environment which is exiting and dynamic, for the few who are successful the rest will crash and burn.

What have you done and what would you like to do in the future?
I think the bolded sentence is the point. You say you're ambitious but haven't said what your ambitions are. I take it from your screen name that you're an Ivy set to graduate in 2010? That's a golden parachute, and you're pretty much guaranteed a living of some kind here, though I'd caution you not to automatically assume you're the smartest guy in the room. It is competitive in LA and that attitude lacks self-knowledge.

Are you a business major? There's a diverse economy here, hampered by the recent collapse but that's everywhere. Are you into tech? There are defense contractors and JPL in Pasadena (I happen to like Pasadena, though it's hot). Are you a lawyer? Uh, yeah. There're lawyers in LA, LOL. In all, choosing LA as a launchpad you could certainly do worse, but not knowing more about your plans it's hard to form a response whether you could do better.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Well, I agree with the other posters that it would be helpful to know what line of work you are looking to get into. Would also be curious to know which Ivy you're at.

But if you are like me and many other ambitious, entrepreneurial-minded people, life does not revolve around a JOB and you don't make your decision about where to live based on unemployment data. So with that said, LA is ideal for the kind of person you describe because:

A. LA is a city of full of ambitious, entrepreneurial-minded people who are into creating and inventing. So if that is what you are about, then you might be inspired by this atmosphere which celebrates and flaunts success no matter who you are or where you come from.

B. LA is a very welcoming, non-judgmental place with a very libertarian attitude and outlook toward life. You are allowed to be who you want to be and live your life as you please.

C. There are a lot of young people here like you with Ivy League degrees, so you will be in familiar company. LA along with NYC and SF is a top destination for graduates of Ivy League schools. The Ivy’s all seem to have their own mafias within the entertainment industry. LOL

D. It's a dynamic, cosmopolitan environment that offers all of the amenities and diversity one would expect of a great city. It also offers access to an active outdoorsy lifestyle too, so whether you are an urban sophisticate, a tree hugging granola, or a total surfer dude, you would feel comfortable here.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,412 times
Thanks Angelion for your response. The money is not really a problem - I won't jump coasts without a secure job. Really what I'm looking for is how LA compares to SF or NY for someone moving out to LA without knowing anybody. Are people welcoming or do they tend to stick to themselves? Do people's lives revolve around their work (like in NY) or do people see their jobs as a way of financing their lives? Are people really shallow like the stereotype or can you find good, down to earth people?

Ideally, I'd like to do something business oriented, but employment is not really my concern, my school has sufficient resources to help me with that. I'd also like to live somewhere west, near other similarly situated people. What are the best neighborhoods for that? Westwood? West L.A.?

Thanks for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles