Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 12:17 PM

269 posts, read 783,908 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share an experience for anyone looking for something fun and free to do (except water and Clif bars). I hiked to the Devil's Chair, which is near Pearblossom, Ca (other side of the mountains). The amazing formations called 'Devil's Punchbowl' occured (and is still occuring) from earthquakes. This location is very close to the San Andreas fault. The 'chair' is a location where you can enjoy these formations from a commanding view!

The trail is 7.3 miles round-trip, and takes under 3 hours. It has an elevation gain of 500 feet, however you have to walk down to the chair, then back up. I'm not sure how much of a gain that is, but not anything too terrible.

The trail

The rock formations of Devil's Punchbowl. This you see near the beginning of the trail.

Only a third of the way, and you can see miles out into the Mojave

It would be highly recommened to check with the front office when you arrive to see what the weather will be like. The weather was beautiful this day and luckily Gray May disappeared around lunchtime.

Now you're about halfway, and you can already see the Punchbowl from a 'birds-eye' view.

Please don't eat me!

I accidentally passed the chair and continued down South Fork trail, but I quickly realized it and turned around. This gave me a great opportunity to show the 'chair' which is at the knife's point of the cliff.

How did I miss this sign?

Only a few more to go!

Find me a chair with a better view? Hopefully the Devil doesn't find out I'm in his seat!

From the chair looking straight...unfortunately clouds started forming again, hiding the rich colors!

From the chair looking right

As I was walking back, the decided to show again.

And finally, some wierd looking bug!

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles