U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,955,835 times

Advertisements

Which Light-Rail Extension do you think is more needed to reduce traffic in the Los Angeles area? At least one of these projects will at least be funded in the next four years, hopefully both under Proposition 1B, the 19.9 dollar Transportation fund we voted in last November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM

634 posts, read 2,597,662 times
Subway to the sea is ludicrous. There's no need for it, and in the process it will make Wilshire commutes even worse than they are in the years it will take to complete the proposed project.

Tony Villar needs to stop pandering to a certain segment of our society and realize it was legal citizens who put him in office. It's not my problem Westsiders can't get their little workers moving to and fro fast enough. Traffic is bad for all of us.

The more people we crowd in here, the worse it will get and subways are not a long term solution. In the end, we will have spent billions on a subway and by the time it's done L.A. will still be crowded.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM

36 posts, read 141,906 times
I think the subway to the sea is silly, too. There is a perfectly good air-conditioned express bus that takes you there via Wilshire. Why on earth would traveling underground on wilshire be preferable to bus/above ground? I've taken 3 buses from wilshire blvd, many, many times. It beats the traffic and parking woes in santa monica.

Subways can be useful, but they should put the money into a route that is lacking Public Transport, not overflowing with it. (Besides, isn't the natural gas/tar a worry when digging/constructing around the tar-pits?)

Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,941,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Subway to the sea is ludicrous. There's no need for it, and in the process it will make Wilshire commutes even worse than they are in the years it will take to complete the proposed project..
Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't live on the west side and/or has no experience with subways. The subway to the sea will be great, it'll make getting around L.A. much easier.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,069 times
This is what I think, I think it is admirable LA has put some effort into mass transit in past several years. I think there is very little that can be done simply because they waited much much too long for that effort to take place. If that metro area wants to do anything to relieve traffic, sad but true this is the scenario that would have to take place. An extensive system would need to be built, with trains, streetcars, express buses running just about everywhere with no more than 15 minutes between them. With that said, it is not just the fact transit was built much to late to even put a dent in traffic, it is the population, that has to get off their rear end and make it successful. From what I am seeing with a large segment of the american population, they complain to no end about traffic, but do absolutely nothing, not even one day to get out of their cars. So, gas would have to go up higher than $4.00 a gallon and then $5.00, and more, to force these fools to demand more transit and help make it a success, or shut up and sit in the traffic. Its not just LA its the entire country.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM

634 posts, read 2,597,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't live on the west side and/or has no experience with subways. The subway to the sea will be great, it'll make getting around L.A. much easier.
Oh good grief. Do you have any idea how conjested Wilshire gets on a typical work day? Why should we want a project that will take years to complete, and probably be used to allow developers even more variances in order to build even higher multifamily residences anyway?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
So, gas would have to go up higher than $4.00 a gallon and then $5.00, and more, to force these fools to demand more transit and help make it a success, or shut up and sit in the traffic. Its not just LA its the entire country.
The real problem is there are no places to put the transit. You would have to clear businesses and homes, and trust me this doesn't bode well with the mass. You'll have to go underground, which will put a heavier price tag. Besides Los Angeles, and surround counties are so sprawled out, that most folks can't just say from A to B with transit, because of work or homes could be a couple miles from Transit. This would be a turn off to many, but if traffic keeps looking like Cairo, Egypt, maybe they will start to walk or bike home from the transit, or wait one or a few buses. CalTrans has made plans to extend the 101 freeway, but it would clearly nearly a thousand homes and business and it was quickly shut down by local residents. Extending freeways, improving interchanges, and having flyover carpool inerchange lanes is not the whole answer, but I know people will always have to use the freeways. I agree people in Los Angeles do not take advantage of public transit. I believe there should be a straight transit from Santa Barbara to downtown Los Angeles, sorry if there is already a partial one, I am unsure. I honestly believe the Gold Line Extension has to be built, it will definently lessen the traffic on a couple of the freeways along the San Gabriel Valley and I.E, 215, 60, 15, 91?. The subway to the sea is great, but it will probably affect only the 10 Freeway, which is a nightmare, but not any others. I don't care about traffic on the streets, just the freeways! The Subway to the Sea will decrease street traffic, and be HEAVILY be used by summer time patrons, so maybe they'll have enough money to fund every project. But, I don't see much profit in it, from relieving Southern California freeways of traffic.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mover007 View Post
I think the subway to the sea is silly, too. There is a perfectly good air-conditioned express bus that takes you there via Wilshire. Why on earth would traveling underground on wilshire be preferable to bus/above ground?

(Besides, isn't the natural gas/tar a worry when digging/constructing around the tar-pits?)
1. That's too funny, I didn't know that.

2. Well, our Congressmen Henry Waxman thought it was an absoulte danger too in 1985 and heavily opposed it, now he seems to have no problem with it. Cough Cough(Political Pressure)

Old 04-13-2007, 08:28 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,339,363 times
neither!!!! they need to put light rail in the southeast LA area. east to west around slauson. then south to north around atlantic. north to south on western. these have been proposed on maps since the early 1920's. whats been done? more really long red buses and bus stops crowded with the economic backbone of LA.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:26 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,941,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Oh good grief. Do you have any idea how conjested Wilshire gets on a typical work day? Why should we want a project that will take years to complete, and probably be used to allow developers even more variances in order to build even higher multifamily residences anyway?
As a native of the West Side who currently lives there you don't need to tell me about Wilshire's congestion. That would be like me lecturing someone from New Orleans about Katrina.

This should've been built years ago - but better late than never.

Terrible public transport (albeit improving) hurts L.A.'s ability to compete against other large cities, and is one of the causes of why things are as screwed up as they are.

In any case, I (and everyone else) survived the construction related congestion on Santa Monica Blvd., and we'll survive any construction along Wilshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or