Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 11,179 times

Advertisements

I have a freind who is buying a house in this area and we talked about us moving with her. Since its huge she said we could live there. So having a place to live wont be an issue, but what Im wondering about is a job. Right now Im a CNA at a hospital, in school for my BSN. So I would have to transfer and find a new job. Are nursing jobs needed in the La area? Also, how are the schools? I talked to a few people while I was there 2 years ago and was told there are some great schools. Which ones would you think I should check out? We have a car, so thats how we would get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 24,789 times
There are some good schools for nursing in the LA area. UCLA, Santa Monica College, Mount St. Mary's College are the ones I'm familiar with and is closest to the area you described. There are CNA jobs in the LA area, but at the moment, many hospitals have hiring freezes for new nursing graduates. A person that has graduated within the past 6 months is in tight competition with a lot of other new nursing graduates in LA. If you won't be graduating for a few more years, then the competition might not be as high (when the economy recovers) so it'll be fine to stay in LA. You might want to check out online nursing forums to learn more about the current nursing job outlook in LA.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 11,179 times
Thank you! St. Marys is a sister school to the one Im going to now so thats cool. I was thinking UCLA too, I still need to check them out. I have 2 more years of school. Right now Im working full time at the hospital (3rd shift) and going to school part time during the day. What I would try to do is get hired as a CNA till school is over then go up to a nurse extern untill I finish my boards and go up to a RN. That way it would be a lot smoother. Right now Im going to school on a scholarship so it would be cool if UCLA or St. Marys would want to give me one too. Were going to visit Aug so Ill check everything out then. I guess the only thing holding me back is the earthquakes...not the little shakers, they dont bother me...but does anyone get nervous driving on the freeway?? I know about building codes and stuff make them more safe, but still...the house they are buying is only a few years old so it should be safe, right? Ill be the first to say Im a little in the dark about them. I was outside once and it felt like a truck drove past and I was told it was a shaker. It didnt bother me much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: