Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM

18 posts, read 43,703 times

Advertisements

Like others said, check out Montrose (North Glendale), La Crescenta and La Canada. Very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good idea about looking in areas like Montrose, how about La Cresenta and La Canada?

John, I know where you are coming from but I think the OP may have a point, we moved from an area that was heavily Hispanic and yes, we were definately discriminated against. He asked a question and deserves an answer. I don't think it is up to us to be judgemental.

Nita
I grew up in a heavily mix latino/asian area. My grandparents lived in what became entirely latino neighborhoods their whole lives(Montebello & East LA).

I currently live in a heavily Latino community in SF Valley.

Not to say I was never subject to racist attitudes, but when you walk into a store, no one really cares about your skin color. I'd venture a guess that most white people are not so adventurous, but I've gone deep into the heart of East LA to buy certain specialty products that cannot be found elsewhere and no one even blinked at me. It helps to speak a bit of spanish, but thats about it.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I grew up in a heavily mix latino/asian area. My grandparents lived in what became entirely latino neighborhoods their whole lives(Montebello & East LA).

I currently live in a heavily Latino community in SF Valley.

Not to say I was never subject to racist attitudes, but when you walk into a store, no one really cares about your skin color. I'd venture a guess that most white people are not so adventurous, but I've gone deep into the heart of East LA to buy certain specialty products that cannot be found elsewhere and no one even blinked at me. It helps to speak a bit of spanish, but thats about it.
I do agree, much has to do with attitude period, but I certainly have seen massive reverse discrimination so understand both sides of the story. Also if he is uncomfortable about his girlfriend walking outside at night, he probably does need to move.

I think times have changed somewhat, as hard as many are trying to lose their racist attitudes, others are more open about it.

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Look in City-Data stats at SoCal cities. Pick the one with the highest "White" percentage. If the commute isn't too much, consider Orange County. Irvine or further south.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Look in City-Data stats at SoCal cities. Pick the one with the highest "White" percentage.
Use this archaic tool with 1998 Census data to visualize demographics. You can zoom in by clicking. There is a pull down box to change the theme.

Tiger Map Server Browser

Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
I wouldnt hold it against anyone not wanting to live in an area where they are clearly a minority, I had that experience when I was a teenager and it basically sucked, I'm just curious why the OP chose to move to Los Angeles in the first place. San Diego or O.C. would probably be a better lifestyle choice for someone looking for the SoCal lifestyle minus the urban ills associated with LA.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Use this archaic tool with 1998 Census data to visualize demographics. You can zoom in by clicking. There is a pull down box to change the theme.

Tiger Map Server Browser
I bet Charles don't have this problem where he lives

Anyways, yeah Burbank is your best shot. I had the same thing happen to me all over LA but I don't sweat it. But since your worried about your girl I would for sure try to move somewhere safer. Good luck to you both

Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
I wouldnt hold it against anyone not wanting to live in an area where they are clearly a minority, I had that experience when I was a teenager and it basically sucked, I'm just curious why the OP chose to move to Los Angeles in the first place. San Diego or O.C. would probably be a better lifestyle choice for someone looking for the SoCal lifestyle minus the urban ills associated with LA.
He probably choose the area because he works in Glendale. I think someone suggested he live in Monterey Park cause it is a little less expensive and close enough not to have a bad commute. At least that is my guess.

Had he known about the area prior to moving he would have chosen Burbank, Glendale, La Cresenta or someplace like that I would think.

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubblas View Post
I moved here from Wisconsin a few months ago, and I've never worked on a farm or had a cheese fetish. I live in Monterey Park at the moment (because this website suggested it was a safe place) and currently work in Glendale. In the last few months, it's definitely gotten darker outside and I no longer want my girlfriend walking around after sunset. I'm far from a racist, I'm fluent in Spanish and have worked in the core of Milwaukee for most of my adult years, however I'd like to know where I can live and not feel like such a minority. I'm white and whether I'm walking down the street or trying to check out at a department store, I'm discriminated against because of the color of my skin. My how times have changed. I'm not trying to start a racist thread, I simply would like to know some places where white people are equals, and possibly the majority (if that's possible in LA), where I can begin my new apartment/home search. Any valuable response would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.
o sheet, did you just say you moved to MONTEREY PARK?

Get out of there right now, right now. Not to Glendale either because they're almost as nasty. Try the West Side, like Hollywood, Century City, Agoura, Simi Valley.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubblas View Post
I moved here from Wisconsin a few months ago, and I've never worked on a farm or had a cheese fetish. I live in Monterey Park at the moment (because this website suggested it was a safe place) and currently work in Glendale. In the last few months, it's definitely gotten darker outside and I no longer want my girlfriend walking around after sunset. I'm far from a racist, I'm fluent in Spanish and have worked in the core of Milwaukee for most of my adult years, however I'd like to know where I can live and not feel like such a minority. I'm white and whether I'm walking down the street or trying to check out at a department store, I'm discriminated against because of the color of my skin. My how times have changed. I'm not trying to start a racist thread, I simply would like to know some places where white people are equals, and possibly the majority (if that's possible in LA), where I can begin my new apartment/home search. Any valuable response would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.
Well, are you interested in seeing all of L.A. and getting to know all the areas? Or just the one you moved to? L.A. is not like the rest of the country-and not just in the ways you may guess now. There is a WIDE variety of areas and there is something for EVERYONE. I realize you work in Glendale at the moment and the commute has to be considered. Listen to what others say about nicer areas close to Glendale as I am no expert on all of those areas. I'm truly sorry that you live in Monterey Park. My concern at this point is that you may have no interest or wherewithal to live the SoCal lifestyle the way it is meant to be lived. If you just moved to Monterey Park sight unseen because one or two people on a message board said it was OK-and you've not gotten out and seen the rest of the vast area that is L.A. and southern California, you may be better off moving back to Wisconsin. Just do us a favor and don't think you're entitled to an opinion of L.A. Because all you know is one or two less than desirable areas within L.A.

Now, if the above does not describe you...AWESOME. Here's some good advice: Check out Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. Go to Shark's Cove in MB or Sharkeez in Hermosa and catch a Badger game. You wouldn't believe how many people from Big 10 country are down there. Check out the communities and I'm betting you'll LOVE it. While you're out and about, see the rest of L.A. too. And check out Orange county as well. There's a million places I recommend looking at. You might find a place you love so much that you become dedicated to making it work by way of either commuting or trying to get placed in a different work location. And even if not, at least you would have seen all of L.A. rather than one pretty ****ty area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles