Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 47,069 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are thinking of moving to CA what is a nice gay friendly area to raise a child with schools that are very diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM

17 posts, read 172,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchel View Post
My partner and I are thinking of moving to CA what is a nice gay friendly area to raise a child with schools that are very diverse

NOT SURE IF THIS IS SERIOUS OR NOT.

DOSEN'T SF COME TO MIND? HOW ABOUT WEST HOLLYWOOD?

THOSE TWO AREA'S HAVE THE MOST GAYS. KEEP IN MIND EVEN THOUGH SF IS SUPPOSTED TO BE A GAY FRIENDLY PLACE, A LOT OF TIMES IT'S NOT. I SEE MORE GAYS IN WEST HOLLYWOOD THEN I DO IN SF.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,151 times
Think about Long Beach. It has a heavily gay population. I'm straight, but I have friends who are gay. To my knowledge, I have never heard of any gay bashing. Also Long Beach schools are very diverse.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,587 times
Anywhere in Los Angeles is open to gays. I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on a place you like to live.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
West Hollywood - definitely gay friendly, but not sure about the schools.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 47,069 times
Thank you for the info

Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Really, anywhere in the Bay Area would be fine... if SF is too expensive for you, try looking around Berkeley, Oakland, and thereabouts - very gay-friendly, diverse, and slightly more affordable. And I'm not really sure what DBlaze is referring to, because I've never seen/heard anything that would suggest otherwise! I'm sure some narrow-minded people exist (as they do everywhere), but overall it's among the most welcoming places in the world for homosexuals.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 AM

182 posts, read 927,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Anywhere in Los Angeles is open to gays. I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on a place you like to live.
Hey! Where'd that color pallet disappear to??!! The only option I am getting is b&w! <mmouwse is scurrying along, looking for the blue ink from the pallet...> grrrrr!
Well.... anyway.....
I wanted to say that I think that is great advice artichoke! (can I say "okee-dokee artichokee! )
Kimchel, ask yourself, "Where do I want to live? What kind environment do I want (city or rural)? Density? Traffic? Smog, pollution? Mass transit availability? Weather? Topography? Climate? Inland or Coastal? Housing costs? Job prospects? Obviously you already stated diversity and good schools....and gay friendly. I have learned that no matter where you live, there will always be a bad apple in the bushel. And oftentimes, who you are and how you handle things can be far more predictive of how people will react to you than whether you are gay or straight.
Don't forget to avail yourself of the info present here at city-data.com Lots and lots of data, facts, figures, stats about soooo many places! Perhaps starting there will help you develop a few possibilities. In addition, you might try googling places to read up on them. So many places have websites now to tell about and share pics of their city. Perhaps when you develop some more specific human experience questions you can come to us with more specific questions and questions that can only be answered by people actually experiencing those places.
I would be happy to share with you my experiences and knowledge of different areas of the state. Of course, these would be MY Subjective Opinions, but...I am a 40 something lesbian, so they may be pertinent and helpful to you.
Good luck!!
<grrrr! Still no color pallet available! Where's the blue??!>

Last edited by mmouwse; 04-14-2007 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: forgot to use sp. checker...darn stiff fingers...typos...

Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM

182 posts, read 927,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLAZEMDM View Post
NOT SURE IF THIS IS SERIOUS OR NOT.

DOSEN'T SF COME TO MIND? HOW ABOUT WEST HOLLYWOOD?

THOSE TWO AREA'S HAVE THE MOST GAYS. KEEP IN MIND EVEN THOUGH SF IS SUPPOSTED TO BE A GAY FRIENDLY PLACE, A LOT OF TIMES IT'S NOT. I SEE MORE GAYS IN WEST HOLLYWOOD THEN I DO IN SF.
ah! There 'tis the BLUE!!
hey...DBLAZEMDM...nice caps...we are not deaf here....no need to shout. No need to insult the poster, either [not sure if this is serious or not...doesn't SF come to mind? How about West Hollywood?] Have you read the rules yet? Forgot your manners at the door? BTW, are you gay ? Whaddya know about SF vs. Hollyweird and whether they are GAY FRIENDLY? The political resources, social groups, and impact of gays is very strong in LA. I dunno where you hang out in SF, but there are plenty of happy friendly gay men and lesbians there, especially in the GAY Neighborhood...you know where that is, right? No offense intended btw. And...how do ya know that West Hollywood has more gays than Long Beach or even Palm Springs, a veritable gay mecca? Then there's San Diego, a wonderful city with lots of gays and nice neighborhoods. Sacramento has a very strong, thriving community and lots of gay clubs and businesses. Fresno has the Tower District... Orange County....Santa Barbara... Ventura,...... whew! Hey! We TRULY ARE EVERYWHERE! And where there are many people, there are many more of us! < No offense intended. Just being my happy-friendly-helpful-humorous-gay-lesbian self >

Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 11,236 times
A gay couple I know lives in San Diego and are raising their 10 y.o. son there. They love it.

San Francisco is way too expensive and the schools are lousy. Expect to send your child to private schools because the quality of education there isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles