Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Really? I wonder where they got them? I didn't think CA had Blue crabs. By the way, how they look and how they taste are 2 different things.

Nita
Oh, I know how blue crabs taste and I love them! Another former Marylander here!

But those blue crabs at Redondo - tiny, legs missing, some were dead. Not exactly the type I would want to buy for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Oh, I know how blue crabs taste and I love them! Another former Marylander here!

But those blue crabs at Redondo - tiny, legs missing, some were dead. Not exactly the type I would want to buy for dinner.
wonder where they came from or how long they had been around..Doesn't sound to appitizing to me.

Nita

Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
I've done some blue crab research over the past 25 years here in California. What you will find in the local asian markets are a similar species to our east coast blue crabs, but they all come from Asia. They are Swimmer Crabs. Usually smaller and not as tasty or fresh. Cost about $5,000 per ton to get them here and then they are distributed to the local markets. You need to get to the local markets very early to pick out the larger, live males - lots of people want the good ones.
If you would like to buy nicely cleaned and split, ready to cook Asian Swimmer Crabs, I'll recommend the the Asian market on Paularino in Costa Mesa. About $5 or $6 a pound.
However, for the real thing, you can order from the easy-to-find-on-the-internet Md Crab suppliers, that will express package steamed or LIVE (% not guaranteed, survival depends on a lot of shipping factors) FRESH real blue crabs. $150 to $200 per bushel (want to split a bushel with me?)

Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times
Default I have yet to find them- and I've looked for years!

They used to have a form of them at a seafood market on the Redondo Beach Pier. They were blue but not from the Chesapeake Bay. Probably those swimmer crabs from Indonesia or somewhere. The ones you can order from various companies in Maryland are good- but the shipping is $35 to $50 Next Day Air. They also sell lump crab meat in plastic containers. I've done it for special occasions and it's expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 AM

170 posts, read 399,181 times
The Boiling Crab restaurant has blue crabs.

The Boiling Crab

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of it but its a southeastern style seafood restaurant joint. Pretty good ratings on yelp.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
,,,how would you like to live here, where fresh seafood is actually cat fish, fried. Certainly I never saw a cat fish swimming in the ocean. We do have one thing here: lots of frog legs,,,,
I miss the south, fresh turtle soup (snapper). Here in CA I have not seen or heard a bull frog in over 20 years. Back in the 70's my father and I used to go out frogging and had a great time.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,540 times
Default Blue Crabs

I grew up catching and steaming these beautiful creatures from both the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. We also caught them in the creaks that were within 5 miles of the bay.
When I moved to California back in '76, I thought I'd still be able to get awesome seafood out here.............WRONG!!!
It took years to find a good bowl of Oyster Stew, and I haven't found anywhere that offers Crab Imperial on their menu yet!! Try getting shrimp steamed in Old Bay that's served hot and not on a bed of ice..
I love California, I just miss Delaware seafood......Oh yeah.........I can't find a good sub either..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles