Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 16,597 times

Advertisements

All --

My husband is in the interviewing stages for a job in downtown LA. We have two kids, one 5 about to go into Kindergarten, one 8 months who would need possible daycare (considering the nanny route as well).

I am interested in hearing about areas that would have good public schools, not a bad commute (30 mins - 1 hour) (possible??? Husband is ok with using the train line), and a nice, safe, family friendly community. I work from home full time.

Our budget is up to $600,000.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Potential option:

Fullerton in Orange County. There are many home available in your price range of $600,000. Concentrate on northern Fullerton, above Chapman Avenue. The schools in the area are excellent. Troy and Sunny Hills High School are among the best in the country. The elementary and middle schools that feed these two schools are very good as well. The area is nice and there is good shopping and a downtown in Fullerton as well.

If he takes the Metrolink Commuter Rail he can be into downtown under an hour. I don't know specifically where his job is in downtown though because he may need to connect to the subway or a bus to get to the specific job site in downtown. I would say in a solid hour he could do this commute and you will be living in a great area and afford a home.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: No direct real estate links, please

Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Consider South Pasadena - it's an extremely family-friendly area between LA and Pasadena. It's a straight shot downtown on the Gold Line (light rail), which is a very pleasant ride (and cheaper than Metrolink). You should be able to get something under $600,000 in South Pasadena, depending on what size and style of house you're looking for. South Pas has sort of the mythical small town feel; streets of beautifully-maintained bungalows lined with big trees, kids riding their bikes, nice parks, a downtown farmer's market, even a soda fountain on Old Route 66. There are wild parrots, too, which I think is a nice CA touch. You've probably seen South Pas in all sorts of movies - they film there all the time when looking for something non-stereotypically Southern CA in appearance, or at least with fewer palm trees. A lot of the house exteriors in Back the Future, for example, were filmed there, plus tons of more recent movies.

South Pasadena has a good school system, and most of the families on my block (we don't live there anymore, although I really, really miss it) moved there for the schools. There are three elementary schools, one junior high, and one high school, and there's a strong sense of community that centers on the schools, even for those who don't have kids there.

A lot of people in South Pasadena work downtown, and it's either a really easy train ride (the Mission Station is right in the heart of South Pasadena) or a fairly quick drive - maybe 40 minutes, possibly less at the right time, which is a pretty good commute for LA.

Check old threads for more information, but really, I can't say enough good things about South Pasadena. It's safe, beautiful, has decent public transportation options, nice parks, good schools, lots of independent stores, a strong sense of community, a nice library (with activities for kids), and is within easy commuting distance of downtown, as well as really close to Pasadena. There's a wonderful Thursday evening farmer's market, too, held year-round by the station.

As far as daycares go, there's not many within city limits (there's a gap there that could be filled!), but plenty of good options within fairly close distance. My son went to a fabulous home-based daycare near Caltech (not too far from South Pasadena); you can PM me if you decide in or near South Pasadena or Pasadena and want the contact info. We moved before my son started preschool, but South Pasadena (and nearby Pasadena) have many great preschool options, as well.

We would have never left South Pasadena if it weren't for my husband's job transfer, as it really was such an ideal place for a family with kids.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I second So Pasadena if you can find something in your price range. OC would be my second choice but depending on traffice the commute might be a little long. Hubby could do it in an hour. Other areas, Burbank and Temple City. Arcadia is nice but probably out of the price range. There are towns with great schools a lttle further east, but the commute would be too long.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM

236 posts, read 789,099 times
I third South Pas.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
4th on South Pasadena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles