Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times

Advertisements

take pictures.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,494,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkk View Post
but come on man, what if you were the homeless guy? What would you do?
go to a shelter, take a shower, wash my clothes, apply for govt assistance, get a job, save every dime i could, get an apartment....

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM

19 posts, read 56,437 times
If I'm homeless I would be too depressed, tired, hungry to do those responsible things like above. But jumping gates and looking in other people trash seem fishy. By the way, what do you throw out that they keep coming back for more? caviar?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadventurer View Post
If I'm homeless I would be too depressed, tired, hungry to do those responsible things like above. But jumping gates and looking in other people trash seem fishy. By the way, what do you throw out that they keep coming back for more? caviar?
Really? Thats my question. The same guy or people come back for a reason.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,276,184 times
I shred all of my documents so I'm not personally worried about my identity being stolen but I still don't like the idea of throwing my trash bag in to watch it get shredded open. This man was far from homeless. He had on clean clothing and even had a swipe badge of some sort on his belt (couldn't tell what it was). And if I was homeless I would do something about it like go to a shelter, clean myself up and go apply for jobs. I'm sure those who are defending these thieves think I'm some sort of elitist. Is it too much to ask that my trash on private property not be gone through with a fine tooth comb by someone looking for who knows what?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,628,875 times
go to the midnight mission and volunteer some time. just to get a perspective of what homeless people go thru.

shelters arent the safest, nicest places either.

as for this guy who was diggin thru your trash, he does sound like an identity thief or someone up to no good.

thats a problem.
homeless people looking for recyclables are not (as long as they dont make a mess).

i suggest everyone go and volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen. sometimes its not as easy as taking a shower and applying for a job. a lot of homeless people have other health problems.

having worked in this field i can say that i might have had this same errouneous "boot strap" mentality before actively engaging homeless people, but once i go to know more and more folks down on thier luck i saw how easy it was for something like that to happen.

thats why i dont bug out on a few carts being wheeled down the street.

its tough and getting tougher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I shred all of my documents so I'm not personally worried about my identity being stolen but I still don't like the idea of throwing my trash bag in to watch it get shredded open. This man was far from homeless. He had on clean clothing and even had a swipe badge of some sort on his belt (couldn't tell what it was). And if I was homeless I would do something about it like go to a shelter, clean myself up and go apply for jobs. I'm sure those who are defending these thieves think I'm some sort of elitist. Is it too much to ask that my trash on private property not be gone through with a fine tooth comb by someone looking for who knows what?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:49 PM

13,573 posts, read 15,510,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I've done this with taggers.
I sure hope they didn't spot you, unless you were armed.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 PM

13,573 posts, read 15,510,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
take pictures.
Or better yet, make a movie, add music, and then put it on Youtube.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM

171 posts, read 578,623 times
We have them in LB too.
Rule #1 - shred anything even remotely valuable.
Rule #2 - if you have anything you think is complete junk but too big for your trash can, just leave it in the alley. Some guy with an overworked 80's Toyota truck will pick it up within 24 hours guaranteed.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,494,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I sure hope they didn't spot you, unless you were armed.

Well, I know what your talking about...I chased them with my car but kept a good distance. They tried to out-run me but they couldnt and then tried to engage me but no matter what they did, I was always 3/4 block away.

I should have mentioned this all happened in so. part of malibu, through pac pal to brentwood, kids were local to one of the areas and were driving a bmw 3 series. They werent your typical shaved head gang members.

Homeless and vagrants are a different story, they are easy since they are on foot. Had to follow one that stole a bike from a friends condo recently. He was caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles