U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 38,187 times

Advertisements

Any Gay Bloggers in Long Beach CA,

51 yo (middle aged but not dead at all) gay SINGLE male planning to move to Long Beach CA this fall ? Currently in the rust belt due to family illness/death -- Cant find professional employment here. Now Im ready to move on withy my life.

Researched lots in your area. I have lived many places in my life and know I dont want the seasons to EVER change ! There's only one for me.

Whats Gay Life there like ? I love a bar where everyone knows my name Single here Arts History Museums Ethnic food ?

I dont necessarily have to live in a gay ghetto - but want to feel accepted/comfortable whereever I go !

Any thoughts -- parts of the city ?

Would appreciate any response ! My pre move visit will be in mid Sept '09

CIAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,084,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.searching View Post
Researched lots in your area.

Why Long Beach?
Have you ever visited Southern California for an extended period (months)?
What line of work are you in?
Where will you be working?
Renting or buying? What do you expect your housing budget to be?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 AM

thanks for your reply-- are you in Long Beach ? Yes I have traveled there many times but not for an extended period of time

My goal is to live in Long Beach CA but buy small foreclosed property in Palm Springs to prepare for my later years.

Im in healthcare-- I know it will be a problem my license has no reciprocity with CA -- but I am quite educated - great work ethic -- great attitude

Why So Cal ? Its got it all nearby mountains beach and desert !!!

Having lived in the Virgin Islands DC and Europe ? I want urban -=- walk bike -

Again -- arent you in Hunstville AL ?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:44 AM

916 posts, read 3,272,857 times
most of the gay community lives just north and east of downtown I think along broadway. could be wrong but that's what I hear.

to be clear, while there is a gay element in parts of LB, if you're looking for west hollywood you're not going to find it in LB.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

No way am I looking for WeHo !!!

Good god no ! Laid back here

I am looking for information on the friendly quotient not the FABULOUS quotient !

Middle aged here -- like bars but not all the time

Is it safe TO BE GAY ? Ive read where LB is very gay !

You know places in this country in the new millenium are still very homophobic !

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM

916 posts, read 3,272,857 times
Quote:
No way am I looking for WeHo !!!

Good god no ! Laid back here

I am looking for information on the friendly quotient not the FABULOUS quotient !

Middle aged here -- like bars but not all the time

Is it safe TO BE GAY ? Ive read where LB is very gay !

You know places in this country in the new millenium are still very homophobic !
In the good parts of LB (which is everything but central and parts of the north) it is safe to be anything. regarding being gay specifically, like I said there are parts that have a large gay contingent. I was just making clear that there are also many moderate, conservative, etc areas of Long Beach and while they are accepting of gays it's not like the gay scene dominates the city like it does in west hollywood.

In net, LB is a welcoming place.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 PM

72,113 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Any Gay Bloggers in Long Beach CA,

51 yo (middle aged but not dead at all) gay SINGLE male planning to move to Long Beach CA this fall ? Currently in the rust belt due to family illness/death -- Cant find professional employment here. Now Im ready to move on withy my life.

Researched lots in your area. I have lived many places in my life and know I dont want the seasons to EVER change ! There's only one for me.

Whats Gay Life there like ? I love a bar where everyone knows my name Single here Arts History Museums Ethnic food ?

I dont necessarily have to live in a gay ghetto - but want to feel accepted/comfortable whereever I go !

Any thoughts -- parts of the city ?

Would appreciate any response ! My pre move visit will be in mid Sept '09

CIAO
Bill, I can't answer you about the gay life in Long Beach, but have heard it is pretty good. My question? Why would you even consider coming to California is you can't get a job where you are? If you have done any research you must know the employment situation throughout the state?

Yes, there are great bars and ethnic foods and good weather, but it does change some...All this doesn't mean squat if you can't find a job...

Nita

Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Temporarily moved to Cleveland (rustbelt) due to family illness/death -- 18 months -- cant find professional work here but now I am not looking because I am not staying There is a huge brain drain here -- the weather is awful too. My original plan 2 yrs ago was to go to CA ! I lived in the Virgin Is. (St Croix) working for a national health care company out of Boca Raton

So I am picking up where I left off Have 4 degrees social work and paralegal -
currently waiting tables !

My research tells me that the LA area does have some unemployment but less so than the rest of the state.

I think I can find something decent to live in for under $1000 Part of my plan is to buy in Palm Springs for eventual retirement

Thanks for your input -- Should I not find some work immediately Can always rely on waiting tables -- Any high end restaurants you'd recommend ?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Oh and the state budget crisis has anhilated govt jobs here in Ohio So I see what can and will occur in CA with the same crisis

CA has the infrastructure and educated labor force to bounce back more than the rustbelt states

Old 06-27-2009, 02:55 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,052,067 times
Quote:
CA has the infrastructure and educated labor force to bounce back more than the rustbelt states
I hate to tell you this, but California now ranks 49th out of 50th in the percentage of adults over 25 with a high school diploma. Things have changed rapidly in this state. In the late 70s and early 80s, California was #1.

http://www.postsecondary.org/archive...attheEdge1.pdf (see page 3 for reference)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or