Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,486 times

Advertisements

Help me. I'm stuck in Los Angeles and I can't get out. I feel like I'm in a sinkhole of sorts. This is the danger of L.A. Once your here, you never get out. It's like a bowl with slipper sides. Every time you try to crawl out, you slip back in.

Anyhow, I work online and I can live anywhere as long as I have a high-speed connection. I've been all over these message boards talking to people. I've traveled across the country. Frankly, I've come to the conclusion where anyplace is okay. I'll adjust. Would like to see some trees and greenery.

But how do you get an apartment from 1,000 miles away? Do I have to take another trip to Seattle, for instance, get a hotel and rent a car? That's another $1,000 !!!! Should I just give notice and put my life in storage and hit the highway in my SUV??? Live in places temporarily until I find the perfect town? How do you do this? I just feel like I'm going to die here. I hate this town. I just want out...

Anybody moving here from somewhere else wanna switch apartments for a while? I can find a place there while you find a place here???

I'm going mental...

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,047 times
If I had a job, I'd take you up on the offer to switch areas to live right now.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
When I moved to Southern California, I got a cheap motel room and went apartment hunting. I chose a place in three days. Where ever you go, if you get a month-to-month lease, you can always give your 30 days notice and move out.

If you avoid cities with rent controls there should be a reasonable amount of supply available.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM

Cheap hotel. Good thought. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I'd be happy up in Portland, Eugene, or Seattle. I guess I just need to go there and make it happen. I'm not sure what area I'd like to best, but I can always move down the road. I just have to get out of L.A. though... It's terrible. I pay SO MUCH MONEY in rent that I can't breath anymore. If I could only get my rent down to $1K a month, that would be wonderful. Even $1200 a month is livable, but not this. Not what I pay now for a horrible, broken down, falling apart, apartment.... Oh, my god, I'm hyperventilating as I type... someone give me a paper bag quick.... OMG !!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Arti, how big is your apartment and where do you live?! Two-bedroom apartments in Sherman Oaks go for $1,250 in my building. This is a building with no elevators, only two washers and two dryers serving 25 units (!), unsecured parking (only one covered space per apartment), no central air or heat... You get the picture!

Have you thought of getting a roommate? That would cut your rent in half.

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and plunge in. Put all your stuff in storage, and find an apartment where you really want to be. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Arti, how big is your apartment and where do you live?! Two-bedroom apartments in Sherman Oaks go for $1,250 in my building. This is a building with no elevators, only two washers and two dryers serving 25 units (!), unsecured parking (only one covered space per apartment), no central air or heat... You get the picture!

Have you thought of getting a roommate? That would cut your rent in half.

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and plunge in. Put all your stuff in storage, and find an apartment where you really want to be. Good luck!
SandyCo,

Thanks for responding to my desperate call for help. I don't want to stay in Los Angeles. I've been here so many years. I can back after a breakup with a boyfriend overseas because it was what I knew. But now I'm back on my feet and ready to move on. Problem is there are too many choices. I am seriously thinking of putting everything in storage soon and just hitting the road. I have an SUV, so I can take my dog and cat with me...

Artie

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,888 times
I am moving to Chicago and this is how I'm doing it...basically, if you look on Craigslist, you can find sublets and roommates. I understand if you want to live on your own, but for moving out of state, so far this is my plan...find someone or someplace to live, then take a 2 or 3 day trip if needed to pay up front deposits or meet whoever I am going to live with. Hotwire is great with hotels and cars...you can get packages for really cheap. After living with a roommate for a little while (and saving that money from moving) I plan to find a place of my own. That way I know the area a little bit better. You are lucky in the fact that you work online. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Artie! There are places in the Coachella Valley that you can rent for $1000 or less. It's beautiful in the desert!!! Good luck with your move, where ever you choose to move to!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:49 PM

157 posts, read 828,541 times
Hi Artie,

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time

When we were looking to move, we rented corporate housing in the area we wanted to move so we could check things out. It was cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel and let us really spend some time in our soon to be new home.

Best of luck and hang in there!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM

283 posts, read 989,562 times
Don't mean to be a wiseguy, buy try to be a lil resourceful.. You talk like you are trying to escape prison. You are free to go where you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles