Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 PM

64 posts, read 184,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
Agreed! I dont have A/C...I live one block from the beach here in LB, and it got up to 105 outside each afternoon during that heat wave (I had a digital thermometer at the time). In fact, one day that my digital thermometer still holds as a "record" in its memory, it measured 108 outside in the shade....one block from the beach. At night, it would cool down to...oh, 85 degrees or so. 85 degrees at 1 or 2AM! Unbelievable. Without A/C, my wife and I were suffering like no other, sweating just lying in bed. Disgusting.
LA summers are really quite reasonable, occasional nasty heat notwithstanding, as it never lasts. The other Sunday when it went up over 90º F in the Valley, I went for a hike in Griffith Park in the middle of the day, and it was just fine. There was a good breeze blowing. Even know, well into the summer, it gets nice and cool at night.

This year's June gloom was more severe than usual, but I think we were still short on our yearly rain fall.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-04-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: No commenting on Moderator activity, per T.O.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:07 PM

64 posts, read 184,119 times
Actually, the weirdest thing for me is how incredibly cold the ocean is. Going down to the beach on a hot day, and actually going into the water is like a shock treatment.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadB View Post
LA summers are really quite reasonable, occasional nasty heat notwithstanding, as it never lasts.

??? Really? Are you talking about L.A. proper, maybe? I'm in the SGV and it is routinely a bare minimum of 90 for about around three months (mid-July - early to mid October) here. Frequently during that time it will get over 95 or 100.

This month's weather so far: Monthly Weather Forecast for Glendora, CA - weather.com

So far these past two weeks straight, Weather.com has shown predictions below what the actual high ended up being. Several of the 100-degree days we've had were predicted at 90 or at the very most, 95. That's pretty common, I find. I think Weather.com goes on that "average" which we seem to have exceeded pretty routinely all summer long for each of the four summers I've been here so far (I'm a weather watcher and hang on by a thread every day trying to save on AC, so I know). So you can see how the prediction days (in yellow) on the calendar seem "not too bad"...so did all those very hot days you see as highs for the first two and a half weeks of the month. Whew. (fanning self)

Depending upon where you are out here...it's hot. For a good while. Not, though, at night. At night it drops down and is much nicer. I take my kids outside to play usually after 6:30PM. At that time it's almost always just beautiful. In the early evening, with the breeze, is when it feels like paradise.

Again, closer to the coast I'm pretty sure it's a bit cooler. It absolutely depends upon where you are.

Last edited by JerZ; 07-18-2009 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles