U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM

425 posts, read 542,955 times
Default Best place in LA to live without a car?

I currently live in NYC, and have become very use to not needing a car to get around, I have been toying with the idea of moving out to California, to either LA or San Diego. I like moderate climates, so San Diego would fit that bill more, but being a cartoonist & comic writer/artist I think LA would fit in more with that.

So far the areas that interest me most are Santa Monica, Hollywood / Downtown.

Any information on these area would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 AM

10,042 posts, read 14,391,862 times
Do you know where you'll be working? Or will you be working from home? We lived in Hollywood (I don't drive) and loved it. There were always people out on the street, I could walk to almost everything we needed, and the public transportation was excellent. Downtown would be nice, too, although in our case we ended up preferring to live in Hollywood and just take the Red Line downtown (a very quick trip). I haven't lived in Santa Monica - too far away from my job and more central and east (I worked in Pasadena, then later lived in South Pasadena) focus, but if you worked near there or from home and wanted to live near the water it seems like it would be a great place to live (and the temperature would be more regulated than it is when you get inland a bit)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM

i'd be working from home, but would look for a part time or full time job to supplement by income which tends to fluctuate. Hollywood is my current front runner,as it seems to be located just right with access to almost everything.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM

64 posts, read 117,981 times
Hollywood is pretty central, lot of things within walking distance, subway, bus lines. Downtown is interesting, has pretty rough areas, but you would also have Chinatown, Little Tokyo, etc nearby. Have you visited either of them yet?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,074,435 times
Santa Monica Bl has a 24 hour bus line that runs the most often. Even if I am at a club on Sunset I would walk down to SM because the buses run more often than on Sunset, even late at night. Downtown has buses going in every direction 24 hours but is also more of an acquired taste.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM

I have not been out there yet, I plan on going out at the end of July. I'm just toying with the idea of changing thigs up, a change of scenery to recharge my batteries, and escaping brutal north east winter would be a plus.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,061,483 times
My friend lives on North Cherokee in Hollywood, has for over 12 years now and he loves it. When I visit i usually stay a week or 2...or in the winter 3 or 4 and enjoy the no snow factor! I like his location because you really don't need a car if you learn how to utilize the public transpo and also don't mind walking. Within walking distance of his apt there's a Best Buy, Target, 99 cent store, Yogotango, and lots of other stores for about every need you have. I like Hollywood, but I hear that Santa Monica has some nice area where you don't need a car too.
With your art and your line of work I'd say Hollywood. Good luck to you!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,423,625 times
based on your interests, i'd say hollywood. it's centrally located and has great public transportation (the metro (LA's subway) and bus lines), which gives you easy access to nightlife, ethnic enclaves, cultural institutions, sporting events, and so forth. it's walkable and lively and, since you'll be coming from nyc, you probably won't mind the area's grittiness at all (it's not ghetto by any means, just not as "polished" as, say, santa monica, beverly hills, westwood, etc).

also, silver lake, los feliz, east hollywood, and echo park are pretty close to hollywood and collectively represent one of southern california's most prominent hubs for the creative class. i think you'll fit in really well in any of these areas.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,307,058 times
Here's another way of looking at it. If you pick one of these places recommended because they are the most friendly for a carless person, would you still live there if you ended up getting a car? Why? Because most people have cars in LA. There's a good chance you'll get one too. If you had a car, would you still be happy living in the recommended place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles