Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

Let's keep the focus on LA/California, please; if you want to get into larger political issues move it to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 41,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Kid View Post
I went to SMC, I think it may be the largest community college in the state. You will meet tons of people from everywhere. Yes, they pretty much accept everyone, but that doesn't matter. I think it has the highest transfer rate into the UC and Cal State systems. I think you should be fine living in Culver City and going to SMC, it's not far away. Would you take the bus?
If I can take a bus from Culver City to SMC that would be great. I'm pretty sure we will have a car, but I prefer to walk to school if I live close enough and use the car on the weekends.

I hear that a lot of older people rent their pool houses for a lot cheaper...is that really common?

Last edited by lilnightowl; 09-03-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM

143 posts, read 393,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnightowl View Post
I hear that a lot of older people rent their pool houses for a lot cheaper...is that really common?
There are hardly any pools in Santa Monica and Culver City let alone pool houses. Who told you that?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM

143 posts, read 393,812 times
Maybe you mean guest houses? Those are hard to come by, and when you do, they tend to be pricey.

You should check out Craigslist for rentals to get an idea of prices. Check the listings for the Westside.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 31,926 times
So i think i may have gotten a job as a nanny, but it is over craigslist and i don't know how to tell if it's real or not. this lady sent pictures of her family promised to send a check in advanced and the email doesn't sound fake, but i don't want to get my hopes up because i know there are hundreds of fakes out there. how can i tell if it's real. I don't want to be rude and risk the job by just coming out and saying, " hmm this sounds too good to be true how do i know it's real" any suggestions????

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Check in advance? For what?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM

95 posts, read 281,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustcantwait View Post
So i think i may have gotten a job as a nanny, but it is over craigslist and i don't know how to tell if it's real or not. this lady sent pictures of her family promised to send a check in advanced and the email doesn't sound fake, but i don't want to get my hopes up because i know there are hundreds of fakes out there. how can i tell if it's real. I don't want to be rude and risk the job by just coming out and saying, " hmm this sounds too good to be true how do i know it's real" any suggestions????
I would say it's fake. I can't imagine a person hiring someone to take care of their children without ever meeting them. It could be legit, but I wouldn't want to work for someone who is willing to hire over the internet without ever meeting the person.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R. View Post
I would say it's fake. I can't imagine a person hiring someone to take care of their children without ever meeting them. It could be legit, but I wouldn't want to work for someone who is willing to hire over the internet without ever meeting the person.
I completely agree, these are the types of things on Craigslist that give them a bad name. There are so many. Why would she send you a check in advance, and is it going to be a cashieres check? Anyone can send pictures of their family, you want to see some of mine???

Please, poster be very careful and keep us informed.

Nita

Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustcantwait View Post

Whatever you do, don't send this "lady" your SS # or any personal details that could get your identity stolen. Esp. don't send the routing number for your bank account, okay?

Most people who are of the type to hire a Nanny will do so through a service. If you have the right credentials to do so, sign up with such a service. Then you'll know it's legit.

Kate

Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 AM

17 posts, read 31,926 times
Default Yes yes yes

So i found a place in altadena, and will be moving January first. I'm so excited and pray that everything works out. thanks for helping everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles