Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM

221 posts, read 422,665 times

Advertisements

Carson, ca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,348 times
I've been talking with some people beside me about this area and so far no solutions I heard from them.. This might be cause some accidents, but hoping for not...

Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,627 times
Default LA, not as bad as it seems.

Hi,
You don't sound ignorant at all. Many people have the same concerns when visiting the city of angels.
Truthfully, most of Los Angeles' danger lies in one place, 'The Cinema'. It's all hype, seriously. Yes, there are a few places where danger lurks (like any other large city in the world), but I urge anyone who has this question to reconsider their thoughts on the city. LA is notorious for gangs and violence, greatly due to movies and music, but it does not have 'NO GO' zones like many claim.
I grew up pretty much everywhere in LA, from the fear causing Compton to the lush greenery and exclusive boutiques of Beverly Hills. Dangerous, yes. Restricted to tough guys, not so much.
Be weary of certain areas. EG. Compton, greater East LA, Watts and such. But as long as you don't act like a drunk and loud moron, even those places are only dangerous to Gangbangers. Unless you have a fear of wild dogs, in that case stay away from East LA .

I stayed in Sydney, Australia for a while due to work. There are neighbourhoods there, such as Punchbowl and Lakemba (South west Sydney) that make LA ghetto's look like Malibu, seriously. But people don't know it because movies and tracks haven't been promoting the dangerous culture there.

Look, like any tourist, try to seem aware of your surroundings, don't eyeball the wrong crowd and mind your own. LA is as safe as 'you' feel like being. Don't let fiction take over fact.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM

430 posts, read 1,646,263 times
If it is not in West LA or Southbay, with the exception of some East LA neighborhoods I would stay away .....

Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
Default Safety in 2014

Los Angeles is an ever changing place. There are parts of downtown Los Angeles such as in the art district that were once super scummy and are now becoming lofts, art studios, etc. Yes there are still homeless nearby but as long as you're not walking right into skid row, you should be fine.

Here's how I break everything down:

Downtown Los Angeles - Fairly safe. Just beware of smelly types, homeless types and vultures that are waiting for you to be alone at night.

East Los Angeles - Way overblown. It's not even dangerous at all, unless you are walking around Big Hazard Park or Hollenback Park at 2 am. Most of the best Mexican food is right here. The biggest thing that bothers me about East LA is simply the concentration of people. It's like being in little TJ. I'm of Mexican descent and it annoys me, but if you're from out of town, you might not give a crap

Watts - Really awful at all hours in certain areas. I usually avoid it altogether because people here are sketch as hell. HOWEVER, the best hamburger in Los Angeles is at a place called Hawkins House of Burgers which is right across the street from Jordan Downs Housing Projects. I highly recommend this place. You will see - crackheads at 11 a.m. at this burger joint, but anybody who works in the area goes there for burgers. Act normal when you see a crackhead ho talking to her foot and you will be okay (yes I really saw this last time I went, a black woman, high as a kite at 1130 a.m., having a conversation with her toenail). Don't freak out, just act normal and take your burger TO GO.

Compton - Not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's. Main streets are fine. Louis Burgers and D&A barbecue are two of the best eats in the area. Mexicans have taken over compton, causing the blacks to move away to Moreno Valley. Mexicans are not nearly as violent though some neighborhoods you just want to be safe and not be there at night.

Inglewood & Long Beach - I grouped these areas together because they are similar to me in the fact that there are really nice areas and really bad areas. Just be aware of your surroundings. You don't want to be walking into Momo's liquor store at midnight when there's 4 black dudes hanging outside the joint. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

South Central - Depends on where you are. I know people will call me racist but whatever. If you're in a mexican neighborhood you're safer. In my opinion of course. Mexicans might rob you but they aren't super violent about it, but black dudes don't want any witnesses if you catch my drift.

Lynwood, Maywood, Paramount, Bell Gardens, Southgate, Huntington Park, Vernon, etc - Very poor neighboorhoods with nothing of value to even see. It's not that they are super dangerous, but they are super poor. And there's not a whole lot of touristy stuff to see unless you want to take a tour of the Farmer John meat packing plant.

CITIES that are GENERALLY safe to be in: Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Pacific Palisades,Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, San Pedro, South Long Beach and East Long Beach, Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos, Norwalk, La Mirada, Santa Fe Springs, Whittier, La Puente, City of Industry, Puente Hills, West Covina, Covina, Pomona, Pasadena, Alta Dena, Arcadia, Monrovia, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Claremont, Culver City, Venice, Gardena, Torrance.

Note that probably half of the cities I listed do have certain gang areas mostly in residential areas. You're not going to get jacked at regular malls or stores in these neighborhoods. I mean come on, if you see a starbucks in Compton, it's probably pretty safe. But if you go to a Church's Fried Chicken in South Central and realize there is bullet proof glass at the ordering window, you know you should probably drive a little bit further. Common sense people.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,057,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcorridor View Post
South Central - Depends on where you are. I know people will call me racist but whatever. If you're in a mexican neighborhood you're safer. In my opinion of course. Mexicans might rob you but they aren't super violent about it, but black dudes don't want any witnesses if you catch my drift.

Brother From Another Suburb : Tyger Williams' Visit to South-Central Inspired Gritty 'Menace' - Los Angeles Times

Menace II Society : Robbery - YouTube

Menace 2 society car jackin scene - YouTube

Old 09-08-2014, 01:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,657,196 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is an ever changing place. There are parts of downtown Los Angeles such as in the art district that were once super scummy and are now becoming lofts, art studios, etc. Yes there are still homeless nearby but as long as you're not walking right into skid row, you should be fine.

Downtown Los Angeles - Fairly safe. Just beware of smelly types, homeless types and vultures that are waiting for you to be alone at night.

East Los Angeles - Way overblown. It's not even dangerous at all, unless you are walking around Big Hazard Park or Hollenback Park at 2 am. Most of the best Mexican food is right here. The biggest thing that bothers me about East LA is simply the concentration of people. It's like being in little TJ. I'm of Mexican descent and it annoys me, but if you're from out of town, you might not give a crap

Watts - Really awful at all hours in certain areas. I usually avoid it altogether because people here are sketch as hell. HOWEVER, the best hamburger in Los Angeles is at a place called Hawkins House of Burgers which is right across the street from Jordan Downs Housing Projects. I highly recommend this place. You will see - crackheads at 11 a.m. at this burger joint, but anybody who works in the area goes there for burgers. Act normal when you see a crackhead ho talking to her foot and you will be okay (yes I really saw this last time I went, a black woman, high as a kite at 1130 a.m., having a conversation with her toenail). Don't freak out, just act normal and take your burger TO GO.

Compton - Not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's. Main streets are fine. Louis Burgers and D&A barbecue are two of the best eats in the area. Mexicans have taken over compton, causing the blacks to move away to Moreno Valley. Mexicans are not nearly as violent though some neighborhoods you just want to be safe and not be there at night.

Inglewood & Long Beach - I grouped these areas together because they are similar to me in the fact that there are really nice areas and really bad areas. Just be aware of your surroundings. You don't want to be walking into Momo's liquor store at midnight when there's 4 black dudes hanging outside the joint. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Lynwood, Maywood, Paramount, Bell Gardens, Southgate, Huntington Park, Vernon, etc - Very poor neighboorhoods with nothing of value to even see. It's not that they are super dangerous, but they are super poor. And there's not a whole lot of touristy stuff to see unless you want to take a tour of the Farmer John meat packing plant.

CITIES that are GENERALLY safe to be in: Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Pacific Palisades,Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, San Pedro, South Long Beach and East Long Beach, Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos, Norwalk, La Mirada, Santa Fe Springs, Whittier, La Puente, City of Industry, Puente Hills, West Covina, Covina, Pomona, Pasadena, Alta Dena, Arcadia, Monrovia, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Claremont, Culver City, Venice, Gardena, Torrance.

Note that probably half of the cities I listed do have certain gang areas mostly in residential areas. You're not going to get jacked at regular malls or stores in these neighborhoods. I mean come on, if you see a starbucks in Compton, it's probably pretty safe. But if you go to a Church's Fried Chicken in South Central and realize there is bullet proof glass at the ordering window, you know you should probably drive a little bit further. Common sense people.
Not so sure about Long Beach. It seems more tamer the more south you go.

Lynwood, South gate or those gateway cities are not that bad and could be a bit better than the more dangerous part of the county.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
If I were you, I would definetely stay out of areas like South Central LA, East LA-Boyle Heights, Pico Union-Westlake (not Westlake Village) Westlake is were MacArthur Park is, Compton, North Long Beach, West Long Beach, Carson, University Park and Lynwood. Especially in the Night because of gang violence especially in the Westlake area

Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM

85 posts, read 83,645 times
Quote:

I agree with your overall assessment and as a white person I also feel safer around Mexicans than I do around blacks for some reason.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,639,230 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
I agree with your overall assessment and as a white person I also feel safer around Mexicans than I do around blacks for some reason.
Yeah this is pretty accurate. The only thing I would critique is that Altadena is one word, not two. This is a very common mistake as the Alta Dena dairy company is 2 words. Why that is the case I have no idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles