Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,318 times

Advertisements

2 in the morning, carrying a camera or a laptop. Only place I can afford but if that's a typical evening activity, I should still just look someplace else, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
Honestly, I don't understand your question, especially the camera/laptop thing.

Are you saying that 5th St in Downtown is the only place you can afford?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Honestly, I don't understand your question, especially the camera/laptop thing.
I mean the place looks sketchy enough during the day and I witnessed obvious drug dealing on the street. So I am wondering a bit about the nightime character of the area since I would be returning home often late at night on foot or public transportation carrying said items, and sometimes video equipment.

Quote:
Are you saying that 5th St in Downtown is the only place you can afford?
It's starting to look that way!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I mean the place looks sketchy enough during the day and I witnessed obvious drug dealing on the street. So I am wondering a bit about the nightime character of the area since I would be returning home often late at night on foot or public transportation carrying said items, and sometimes video equipment.

It's starting to look that way!
It looks like you are between the devil and a hard spot. Where do you live now, how long have you been in So California? Why are you moving or are you just coming to L.A. Unfortunatley these are some of the sad facts about living in many large cities, especially the inter city.

Nita

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,905 times
Lots of bums and other stuff going down over there, but it isn't unsafe by any means.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It looks like you are between the devil and a hard spot. Where do you live now, how long have you been in So California? Why are you moving or are you just coming to L.A. Unfortunatley these are some of the sad facts about living in many large cities, especially the inter city.

Nita

I have been in So Cal my whole life. Hardly even visited anywhere else. No education, low paying job etc etc. Got hit with a rent increase I can't afford. Actually got hit with it last year but then Bush borrowed money from China to help me keep a roof over my head for another year.

Can also live rent free in east Palmdale, far from work and everything else but being isolated in the desert with a heavy drinker may be detrimental to my physical and psychological health.(I used to drink a lot but burned out after a 2 year bender and stopped in 2007)

I am your typical "troubled loner" who doesn't communicate well with other people and comes across as a total weirdo so I am reluctant to look for a roomate or rent a room in someone else's house.

(Yeah, I dug my own grave and now that I can taste the dirt in my mouth I am starting to get a little worried).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
should be ok... many of the new loft apartments in that area have private security guards that patrol some of the sidewalks at night. you'll run into a few interesting people at that hour, but I don't think you should worry too much. But I wouldn't go for long, casual walks in that neighborhood late at night.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
7th and Hill is the jewelry district. Between 1st and Second, Spring and Broadway, the LA Times Building. 5th and San Pedro is close to the missions and skid row.

So.... Where are you planning to be walking from to get to 5th and Hill?

I go downtown quite frequently and though I'll admit some areas are a bit scarier than others, I've never had any really bad experiences. HOWEVER, I've also stood behind people who were telling people how they had just been robbed. I probably wouldn't carry expensive equipment or anything more than I'm willing to lose if I were walking through downtown at 2 a.m.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
7th and Hill is the jewelry district. Between 1st and Second, Spring and Broadway, the LA Times Building. 5th and San Pedro is close to the missions and skid row.

So.... Where are you planning to be walking from to get to 5th and Hill?
Pershing Square station, as well as some bus stops. And I tend to frequent a place off Hill further north as well.

I probably won't go for that place.

Quote:
I go downtown quite frequently and though I'll admit some areas are a bit scarier than others, I've never had any really bad experiences. HOWEVER, I've also stood behind people who were telling people how they had just been robbed. I probably wouldn't carry expensive equipment or anything more than I'm willing to lose if I were walking through downtown at 2 a.m.
Thanks! And an avoidant low key personality such as myself also doesn't like the teeming and crowded streets during the day either.

I might have another few weeks to a month to think about it so I don't make any decisions out of desperation.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I don't know much about Pershing Square though I've heard: 1) it's a totally safe place; 2) it's a place gays looking for new lovers like to hang out in. I don't know how true number 2 is.

Skid row tends to be farther east off 5th street. 5th and Los Angeles and EAST of that. I don't know if much of it falls over to the other side after the businesses all start closing.

I don't believe downtown has a lot of violent crime although, I will concede, if you are the one involved, one violent crime is one too many. I've met a lot of people (normal people) who live in the area around Little Tokyo. That might be a safer place. The other area that seems to be hot and happening is the area around FIDM. If you have to travel at 2 a.m., I would try to find a place near one of the hip/happening bars in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles