Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

I've recently thrown my hat in the ring for a job transfer to the LA area. The actual office is in Simi Valley, however, I'd be working all over the LA metro area. I'm a cellular technician, so I'd be in some bad areas of town, as well as the more upscale areas of town as well.

I'm living in Florida now, and the cost of living here is considerably lower, I understand that.

What I'm trying to find out is, how different the cost of living is out there, and where is the best areas for someone bringing home 100,000 to 80,000 a year to live. I have a young son, he is 5, and he'd be going to school so I want to make sure that the schools in the area I live in are good. I'm not a fan of private schools, so I'd be looking at public schools mostly. My housing budget is somewhere around 2000 a month. I'd probably rent for a year or two before buying a home.

I know big cities, I know crime, I lived 5 years in Michigan, 3 of which were spent in the worst ghettos Detroit has to throw at me, so LA doesn't scare me as far as crime, I just don't want to live in it for my families sake.

I can pretty much live anywhere within a hour drive of Los Angeles, so any input would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
How much time will be you be spending at the main office? If that's only technically your base, but you'll mostly be working out of your car or from home, then you'll have lots of options. My personal favorite is South Pasadena, which is a very nice and somewhat centrally-located (depending on the full extent of your travel) small city between LA and Pasadena. The public schools are considered very good, the city itself is very safe, attractive, walkable, and has a great sense of community. (their downtown even has an old-fashioned soda fountain located on old route 66) It's the epitiome of family-friendly. It's middle- to upper-class, but with your budget you should be able to find a nice cottage or house to rent. It would be my number one place to live with a child in the LA area (and we would still be there still if it weren't for a job transfer). If, on the other hand, you have to spend a significant amount of time in Simi Valley you may want to consider living out towards that direction.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
If you spend most of your time out of the office or whatever it is in Simi Valley, I would just live out that way in Simi Valley itself to minimize commute or in Thousand Oaks, Calbasas, Agoura Hills, etc.... The area has good public schools out there in eastern Ventura County.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Simi Valley is just the location of our switch and warehouse. I will probably only go over that way once a week. I get paid by the hour for my drive time, so driving isn't a problem for me. South Pasadena sounds similar to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Calabasas has excellent public schools but it's a pretty bland, boring suburban town. I agree with uptown urbanist that So. Pasadena has much to offer in the way of character, good public schools, and proximity to other interesting areas: Pasadena, Downtown LA, etc.

Culver City is another area to think about. Pretty good public schools and excellent proximity to West LA, Beverly Hills, etc. The weather is far more pleasant than So. Pasadena (esp. in the hot summer months). That said, not as much character as So. Pasadena. But Culver City still has plenty of things to do with interesting art galleries, restaurants, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Aside from a good school for your child, what do you and your wife like to do in your spare time? Are you interested in outdoors activities or the arts or ???? That could also help determine a good place for you to live.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Do you prefer a temperate climate with high temperatures between 60 and 80 year round, or changing temperatures whit winter highs in the 60s and summers in the 100s? If you hate heat, don't move inland.

I agree with South Pasadena because it is very family friendly and centrally located. However, summers are hot there. If you do not like heat, I would suggest Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, or Hermosa Beach.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM

I'm a water guy. I own a boat, and thats usually where you'll find me on my weekends off. Other than that, we enjoy sporting events, and the occasional play/show of some kind. I do enjoy live music, but prefer the local bar to a big concert for the venue.

Heat isn't that much of a problem, most days here in FL are in the mid 90's, with very high humidity.

I figured everywhere close to a beach would be outrageous as far as cost, am I wrong in assuming that? If they price isn't that bad, is the neighborhood going to be ok for my son?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Well South Pasadena definitely isn't cheap.

Is your boat a lake-only boat or is it capable of going in the ocean as well? If it can go in the ocean, I would suggest a beach community. If it is only lake and you like doing that, inland is better so that you can easily get to Lake Castaic or other places in the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino counties) and towards Arizona.

I personally love Long Beach, but only the 90803 area code. Other areas are very bad. That zip code is Belmont Shore and Naples Island. Culver City could be a good option because it is close to the ocean, cheaper than being on the ocean, but still a nice area. Schools are not so great since it is LAUSD though. I believe Redondo Beach is usually cheaper so that might be an option and Redondo schools are not terrible, but not as good as Manhattan or El Segundo.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Correction to jessemh431: Culver City is a separate city from the City of LA, so it is NOT part of the LA Unified School District (LAUSD). From what I have heard, Culver City has pretty good public schools (certainly better than LAUSD). That said, you should definitely research it to get more details.

You are right: Most areas directly on the coast are pretty expensive.

Also, note that in So Calif. the beach areas are quite cool as compared to FLA (same goes for the water). I am talking like you might need a light sweater at night (during the summer too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles