Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 AM

7 posts, read 85,236 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Hope u all are doing well...This is my first post.
We are a Asian couple from UK with two kids.I have got a job offer from Bellflower medical center, 9542E Artesia Blvd..... as a Nurse. We are planning to move their.
Could you pls clarify following things pls...
1. How is that area? Is it a safe place in terms of crime and vehicle theft?
2. Is it safe place for kids? How is the schools their?
3.How is this hospital? Is it a good one?
4.Any racial problems in that area as I am having it here in UK?
5.How is the housing price thier? Is it affordable for a Nurse to buy a single house?
Pls reply ...
Thanking you in advance..
Rgds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,500,286 times
I live in Bellflower just off Artesia in fact.
Artesia is a very busy street in the afternoon, the freeway gets slow and people use Artesia as a alternative. Bellflower's streets are old and never were designed to have so many commuters on them, but they are working so far. Cities here have no dividing land, homes flow to homes and it is often hard to remember which city you are in. I have had friends who's back yards were even in a different city or county.

Car theft happens everywhere, the thief's usually are not your neighbors. There is a top ten list of cars that get stolen often. Just use caution lock your car and do not leave valuables out in view. Crime is not bad here, there is some parts of town I would not live in.

I grew up in the next town over in Lakewood spent a lot of time in Bellflower as well. Primarily the school district is Bellflower united school district or BUSD. BUSD also is over Lakewood's schools, where you go I think is divided on what side of the 91/Artesia you live on. Schools are nice, I went to the public schools. Private schools are available. Plenty of activities, good parks, good bike lanes mostly. Most schools have after school activities.

I have not been in that hospital since 1964, I was hospitalized as a child there when I was hit by a car. They are one of the few remaining hospitals with emergency care now days. They are very close to the DMV office so you will see some crazy drivers coming out of there. I have Kaiser now and they have their own locations. I have never heard anything negative about this hospital.

There are always racial problems to be found anywhere, Bellflower is well mixed with everyone. But I do not hear of any problems.

Bellflower is a old town and most homes are old but new ones abound. There is a new tract being built on the old hospital site off Artesia and Woodruth mostly townhouses I believe. Housing is expensive now, most houses will cost $600,000 plus. Condos cost from $350,000 and up. Condos are not perfect by any means but 1200 sq ft homes with 3bd/2ba can be bought for less than $400,000 still.

Feel free to PM or email me with any other questions, I can drive by any local areas and take pictures if you like.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 04-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Thanks Tom....It was very detailed info...
rgds

Old 04-22-2007, 12:33 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,988,269 times
Default Medical Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by benalaxander View Post
Hi All,
Hope u all are doing well...This is my first post.
We are a Asian couple from UK with two kids.I have got a job offer from Bellflower medical center, 9542E Artesia Blvd..... as a Nurse. We are planning to move their.
Could you pls clarify following things pls...
5.How is the housing price thier? Is it affordable for a Nurse to buy a single house?
Pls reply ...
Thanking you in advance..
Rgds
You're asking how this hospital is????? Since you're going to be employed there, shouldn't your questions be directed to your future employer?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I understand where she is coming from asking the question. If you were a employer would you admit your working place was less than standard? A ideal thought is if someone working there could comment.

My problem is that I know no one working there. A hospital may be great but have a stressful working environment than others.

I have heard of no problems there, but if it was less than ideal there is a lot of other hospitals in the area.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Quite a bit of history and photos at http://www.bellflower.org/home/index.asp

Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,450,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
You're asking how this hospital is????? Since you're going to be employed there, shouldn't your questions be directed to your future employer?
Yes, she is asking how the hospital is!!!!! (sorry, just wanted to mirror the exclamation points)

I think its a good question to ask here. If she asks here, she might get answers from folks who have been to the hospital as patients, maybe someone who has worked there in the past, and maybe from people who work there currently. Bear in mind, she is coming from the UK.

Since she did not state what position there is considering (RN/LPN), a lot will depend on her finances. We have friends who are career RN's and my other half taught Nursing for 20 years. They can talk for hours on the disparity in hospital management.

Second, you can search other forums for any Nursing threads. Other RN's can give you a good idea on what to ask the administrators prior to hiring on such as how its rated with the Joint Commissions on Creditation of Hospitals. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Bellflower

I am going to work their as a RN........
rgds

Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 AM

I have been to that site and it is worth....Thanks Tom..
Is thier any good beaches near to Bell flower b'coz my kids like it..?
rgds

Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 AM

9 posts, read 54,071 times
Hello there, I thought I'd lend a little expertise to your questions, as I'm a long-time resident of the general area (having been born and raised in the city of Cerritos, I'm 23 years old and Filipino-American); please note, I talk about the area in general because I don't live in Bellflower, and I'll talk about surrounding cities:

1. In general, the city of Bellflower is pretty safe and I would say about average. In terms of crime - it seems like the further south/east you go towards living in Orange County (cities such as La Palma, Buena Park, etc) - the safer it is. The further north/west you go, maybe not as safe (Lynwood, South Gate).

2. Yes, I'd say Bellflower/Lakewood/Artesia/Cerritos is safe for kids. Plenty of parks. My sister is a teacher at the ABC Unified School District (which serves Artesia, Cerritos, Hawaiian Gardens, as well as portions of Lakewood, Long Beach, and Norwalk.: http://www.abcusd.k12.ca.us/ - my brother, sister, and I all attended grade/middle/high school there. I would HIGHLY recommend looking at the district; some of the best high schools are within the district such as Cerritos and Whitney High School. Some Asian parents have moved great distances just for their children to attend these high schools.

3. I don't know much about the hospital, sorry.

4. No racial problems. In fact, Artesia and Cerritos are the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States; in Cerritos - Asians are a majority and on Pioneer Blvd in Artesia there is a great number of Indian shopping plazas. You'll find a huge population of cultures and people tend to get along fine. Look at http://www.city-data.com/top35.html - and notice what city is #5 (and how every other city is in Hawaii?!?)

5. Housing fluctuates between Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos, Artesia but like in most LA County cities is higher than average. My aunt's a real estate agent and I suppose if you need specifics I could ask her. Perhaps you could go to Craigslist.org, click on "Los Angeles," then click on "LGB (Long Beach)" and search around. Perhaps renting might be an option.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions; sorry I don't have any specific information on Bellflower - I don't frequent the city too often. I hope things work out for you and for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles