Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 8,930 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I have lots of life changes coming up soon and would love some advice and guidance.

I am getting married in December and my fiance goes to med school in Pomona, while I recently found a job in South Culver City and need to move very soon.

Ideally I would like to find a 1 bed apartment with rent around 1,000 in a safe area and in the middle of the two cities, so that we both don't have to travel too far each day.

Initially I though about Montebello/Pico Rivero because it is central and near to the freeway. Also it is near the 60 which I think has less traffic than the 10. But I heard that the areas are not great/safe.

So, I am now thinking about Monterey Park, El Monte and South Pasadena.

Are these areas noticeably better? Is the 10 killer in the morning and how long should we schedule for a commute? Any other areas to think about?

Thank you very much. It is a nerve wracking time so I appreciate any/all input!

Last edited by niazzzer; 07-29-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,658,611 times
pico and montebello areas are fine. people tend to not think so because they are at least 60 to 70% latino. but montebello is a middle class city. pico is lower middle class. they are boring towns. suburbs. nothing goin on but the mall.

when i read your post i thought of suggesting alhambra which is just north of the area you were looking at. check it out. mntry park is nice, but el monte i would avoid. it gets you closer to pomona, but too far from culver. i say alhambra and a bit further west. south pas is nice as well. but alhambra might be the best bet.

good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,716,559 times
I immediately thought Alhambra, too. Your money would probably go farther in Alhambra than in South Pasadena, and the location would be pretty good. It's worth a closer look, at least.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,181,832 times
stay as far west as you can, commuting west to culver city will be much more difficult than commuting east to pomona. a coworker of mine commutes from alhambra to century city and it's close to an hour each way every day.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Default Best Commute Times to Culver City

For Alhambra I was looking at the map and thinking of taking side streets to the 710 south then slauson or the 42 to culver city - does anyone know how long that might be on average for a regular commute?

how about living in downey and taking the 42 across?

thanks so much for help, we are looking at apartments this weekend and I am stressing about the commute!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,710,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niazzzer View Post
Hi Everyone!
I have lots of life changes coming up soon and would love some advice and guidance.

I am getting married in December and my fiance goes to med school in Pomona, while I recently found a job in South Culver City and need to move very soon.

Ideally I would like to find a 1 bed apartment with rent around 1,000 in a safe area and in the middle of the two cities, so that we both don't have to travel too far each day.

Initially I though about Montebello/Pico Rivero because it is central and near to the freeway. Also it is near the 60 which I think has less traffic than the 10. But I heard that the areas are not great/safe.

So, I am now thinking about Monterey Park, El Monte and South Pasadena.

Are these areas noticeably better? Is the 10 killer in the morning and how long should we schedule for a commute? Any other areas to think about?

Thank you very much. It is a nerve wracking time so I appreciate any/all input!
Can you work like 6-230 or something that beats a lot of traffic?

Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM

I could try that time after a few months, but initially it needs to be 9-6.

Any ideas on traffic on the manchester/42 toward culver city on the daily commute compared to alhambra to culver city?

are both times going to be about 45 mins to one hour?

thank you, you guys are really awesome and I really appreciate the help

Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,658,611 times
the 42 isnt really a highway as much as it is a wide street. it would be slow. another option would be to live in downey and take the 105 west till you can go north (on streets or highway)

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Update

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help - I though I would post an update.
Me and the fiance took a trip to Downey/Whitter to check out the area and some apartments. Although parts of Downey are OK, we didn't fall in love with any apartments or the city in general.
We plan to spend the weekend searching in Alhambra/South Pas./Monterey Park and hopefully make a decision is possible on a nice place.

I had a question on how long the commute might take from Alhambra?

Also, I could take Huntington Dr. to the 110s (past the staidum hopefully where I think the traffic eases up) to the 10w and La Bra down to culver city - would that be a good route?

Again, thanks for all your help, moving cities/finding a place to live/starting a new job and getting married are definitely stressing me out so I do appreciate everyone's help so far

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,181,832 times
there is really no good route from alhambra to culver city in the am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles