Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM

14 posts, read 160,219 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a fashion merchandising student, works downtown and lives in a nice apartment building near FIDM. The apartment is being turned into a condo and she and her roommates must relocate. She is tired of being harassed by the homeless on the sidewalks while walking to school or work and wants a nice place outside of downtown within driving distance. Does anyone have safe locations that they would recommend for four single females within a short drive of downtown? They would like a two bedroom for around $2,500. I am considering Miracle Mile or Silverlake and possible an area northwest of USC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
South Pasadena is a totally safe, antiseptically clean community devoid of the things you mentioned and a very easy drive to downtown. It's close to Old Pasadena which is a destination unto itself. Pasadena is also nice, just a little further. Los Feliz or Silverlake are nice too, Echo Park depends on the block. There are plenty of nice places fairly close in.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 PM

157 posts, read 828,506 times
I agree! South Pasadena is a great choice!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM

82 posts, read 522,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1950 View Post
My daughter is a fashion merchandising student, works downtown and lives in a nice apartment building near FIDM. The apartment is being turned into a condo and she and her roommates must relocate. She is tired of being harassed by the homeless on the sidewalks while walking to school or work and wants a nice place outside of downtown within driving distance. Does anyone have safe locations that they would recommend for four single females within a short drive of downtown? They would like a two bedroom for around $2,500. I am considering Miracle Mile or Silverlake and possible an area northwest of USC.
South Pasadena is about 8 miles up the 110 (Pasadena Fwy). Beautiful town with lots of old architecture and trees and VERY safe. Amazing thing about South Pasadena is that it looks pretty much like it did 50 years ago. But just 2 or 3 miles south along the 110 is Highland Park where I grew up and went to high school. Highland Park for the last 20 years or so looks more like Tijuana than most cities in L.A. When I lived there in the 50s and 60s, the main drag (Figueroa between York & Ave. 43) was a very nice street with all kinds of dept stores, two theaters, my dentist, and lunch shops, etc. Now people get killed there who look foreign to the area.
Many years ago, the state thought they were going to extend the 710 Long Beach Fwy from the 10 due north to the 210. The business center of South Pasadena and parts of Alhambra would have been completely deleted if the state had not been opposed. But those cities did stand up and after a lot of court room drama, the 710 now deadends in Alhambra on the south and in Pasadena on the north before ever getting close to South Pasadena.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...92261&t=h&om=1

Last edited by Keithns; 04-23-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 AM

196 posts, read 1,236,952 times
Los Feliz is the best place in the city close to downtown but is very expensive in some parts. Other options are Silver Lake, Echo Park, Elysian Park, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Atwater....all these areas in the northeastern side of LA City are old, with some nasty areas, but are getting better in recent years, and in my opinion are more safe and homeless free than downtown Los Angeles. Also cities of Glendale, South Pasadena, Burbank and Pasadena are close enough by car to downtown and are very good areas to live and not very expensive in SoCal terms.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times
I think Silverlake is a great area. My vote goes for Silverlake. Great place for young folks too!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Actually, the western and southern parts of downtown (Grand west to Fig, south from about 7th) are safe, convenient and still close to FDIM. L.A. Live is on the way, and the long-awaited Ralphs at 8th and Flower comes in a few months.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
If your daughter and her friends leave downtown, I vote the for the Miracle Mile area. Great neighborhood, central location, easy acess to dowtown w/o needing the fwy, and close to hot spots like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Hollywood. Pasadena is great too. But I think it's more suited for young professionals in their thirties who are a little more established and settled IMO.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM

28 posts, read 295,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
If your daughter and her friends leave downtown, I vote the for the Miracle Mile area. Great neighborhood, central location, easy acess to dowtown w/o needing the fwy, and close to hot spots like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Hollywood. Pasadena is great too. But I think it's more suited for young professionals in their thirties who are a little more established and settled IMO.

what, where is the miracle mile area?
thanks...

Old 04-29-2007, 03:09 AM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Miracle mile starts at Wilshire and LaBrea, and ends where San Vincente crosses Wilshire. (Look on Google maps for location) It is a mixed neighborhood in that, there are some areas that are REALLY nice, and yet a few blocks away, there's bad areas. In general, it's decent.

honu1950: There are lofts in place downtown that are very secure. They have gated parking garages, and security guards at the entrance, etc. You could get a nice one for the prixe you mentioned. I don't know where FDIM is located, so I am not sure how 'downtown proper' plays into the scenario.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles