Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times

Advertisements

I don't know a whole lot about El Segundo. I am sure majoun is more familiar. I have been through there a few times. The houses west of Main St do not look "clean, sterile, and suburban" to me. But it is possible that I don't know what those terms mean.

LAX is close so you will have to see if the airplane traffic bothers you.

Main & Grand is the center of shopping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjala View Post
Venice = anti suburb. Sounds great to me!
What areas/neighborhoods are nice in Venice? Does anybody know?

El Segundo: I could not find much info about it. Could you tell me about it?

I have the impression, that you guys are not recommending Venice that much. Is there a reason? Do you think the commute is too far?
What about Santa Monica( but that's even more expensive, right?)?

I am really afraid of living in a clean, sterile suburb, it depresses me just thinking about it.

Thanks!
Anywhere in Venice is safe besides Oakwood. It's bounded by Lincoln on the east, California on the south, rose on the north, and Main on the west.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
I have lived in Santa Monica and Venice but many years ago. I also spent the first 40 years of my life in California having been born and raised in Hollywood.
One of the things you mentioned was you didn't want to be in a pretentious place. LA in general is all about pretention and that includes the two towns you are interested in although, I would totally eliminate Marina Del Rey and pick Venice over Santa Monica if you are totally into ethnic diversity not only in the neighborhood but in the 1000's of daily visitors to the beach area. Santa Monica is less diverse in its population, but not it's visitors.
If I were you, I would look into Pasadena, Glendale and Altadena. These are towns that were built in the 1930's and still enjoy a lot of the original architecture of the area. They have lots of restuarants, galleries, and shops. You can afford a one bedroom and possibly a small two bedroom for your rental price.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
The job is in Hawthorne - Pasadena is way too far! Although I agree that the poster might like the laid back, diverse, Pasadena vibe.

To the OP: I think you would love Venice. It is exactly the opposite from a sterile suburban environment. The ONLY thing you might not already be aware of, is how many tourists to expect. There are MANY. They're interesting to watch, though... beautiful young people packing their surfboards, bohemian parents pulling their children along on makeshift wagons made from skateboards, homeless people, street performers, you name it.... If tourists do not bother you, I think Venice is definitely your pick.

Make SURE your apartment has enough parking onsite for your vehicle(s).

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i don't think anyone is saying don't move to venice, just be prepared for what you would be getting yourself into. $1,500 apartments in venice will definitely be older, smaller and most likely not very well kept up. you'll also have to be ready for the hords of people that come into the area on weekends in the summer. lastly, there is still a gang element (albeit relatively small) in venice and there areas where you can buy drugs on street corners. the nicest parts of venice are on the canals, but your budget won't allow you to live there. as fas as the oakwood area, this is where most of the subsidized housing is located and also the gangs/drugs. i've actually had a friend who has lived in this area for 5 years and hasn't really had any issues besides the occasional homeless person screaming in his alley and LAPD helilcopters flying overhead late at night.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 42,824 times
I think, it will be Venice. I hope I find an acceptable apartment.
But I will visit all the other options, too. Just to make sure, that I don't miss anything. Maybe I will lake it. You never know. However, I will concentrate my apartment hunting on Venice.
Thanks for all the help. You will hear from me with more questions.

And of course, I am still grateful for any input you might have!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
If you can tear yourself away from the beach, also look into Culver City. It would certainly be cheaper and is only about a 15 min drive to the beach.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjala View Post
I think, it will be Venice. I hope I find an acceptable apartment.
But I will visit all the other options, too. Just to make sure, that I don't miss anything. Maybe I will lake it. You never know. However, I will concentrate my apartment hunting on Venice.
Thanks for all the help. You will hear from me with more questions.

And of course, I am still grateful for any input you might have!
I would definitely have a solid backup plan. Anything for $1500 in Venice is not likely to be a place you'd want to rent. Even the marginal places rent for higher than that. The only thing nice for $1500 would probably be a room. But you never know-- bargains do crop up from time to time. Look inland a little, and you'll get more for your money. Good luck to you!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 21,648 times
I live in Venice and think Venice is wonderful - great people, food, culture, architecture, an a generally very cool "scene". And despite what WestOfEncino said, Oakwood is mostly fine, too. A lot has changed the last 5-10 years, and in my opinion for the (much) better.

But I agree with the others who have posted concerns about your budget. I am hoping for the best for you but - despite the fact that rents are dropping - I don't think you're going to find much that's appealing around here for $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles