U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The way people look at you will tell you if the neighborhood is a safe place, try reading the graffiti and see if there’s gang names, and watch for colors (bandanas, hats, shirts).

In an area like East Harlem or Brownsville, Brooklyn, which is Bloods turf, they are known for slitting innocent civilians’ faces. At first they weren’t a big gang in New York at all but now they’re the biggest unorganized gang in the city followed by the Latin Kings who are also known for committing Blood type crimes on civilians.

The largest organized gang is the Italian Mafia and the Russian Mob. You don’t have to worry about them unless you insult them or are a threat to them. They are very short-tempered. Even the slightest amount of disrespect such as beeping a horn at them or not saying “Thank you” if they hold a door for you will cause them to feel insulted and that’s not a good thing.

If you happen to get lost in an area like East Harlem in a car, keep your doors locked and windows closed. If on foot, make sure you have a phone or call a police officer for help. It might not seem like an emergency, but NYPD officers like my uncle will pick somebody up if they’re lost in a high-crime neighborhood.

TLOZ Link5, a member of wirednewyork.com was killed in Washington Heights, a neighborhood near Harlem last Spring. He was a young NYU student just walking through a neighborhood he always loved and some punk kids thought he’d be a good person to rob and now he’s dead.

I’m not trying to scare you, but people should know about these things. It’ll save so many lives.

My uncle taught me all this stuff during ride-alongs.

i'm 1/2 american indian 1/2 white -- mostly white looking tho, most people don't realise/care that i'm native -- and i live in Harlem and lemme tell you something; there's a few bad eggs, some shootings here and there, but for the most part I never felt threatened or anything. Nobody ever 'stabbed my face'. Granted most black people seem to have extreme hatred towards white people (even ones like me, who's mother is 2nd generation irish american and who's family had absolutely nothing to do with american history before like 1916).

Why don't people address the issue of this? I mean, there's white kids being raised to hate minorities and we always see it in the media, but there's also minority kids being raised to hate white people, jews, puerto ricans, dominicans, etc. why don't people mention this?

(Sorry, guess i just felt like ranting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM

62 posts, read 283,570 times
Unhappy Wtf

I'm kind of surprised by reading what a lot of people have been writing on this thread.
Most Black people in America don't even live in "Black neighborhoods", let alone aren't raised to hate anybody.

If your only viewpoint of people and race is based in the innercity of LA (or NYC), then I feel sorry for you.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,411,124 times
What percent of Black people will admit amongst other black people that they listen to music other than hip-hop, r&b, reggae, or soull music?........i am a white american...get along with everyone but i admit to liking rap music which is perdominatly black....and i will admit to listening to reggae or latin music....i just care about how it sounds........i am just wondering why it is when you get a group of black kids together that they are afraid to say they listen to rock or techno or latin music?....i know there are individuals that don't care what they say they listen to but the majority of blacks think its uncool to admit to liking anything but the hip-hop station or r&b......that's close minded to me or its just being insecure.....and dont tell me the majority aren't like that and i am not being racist ....if i was racist i would have called someone a name or said they should sit in a different part of a bus....so stop with this thing you call racism nowadays because asking a truthfull question isnt racist

Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM

62 posts, read 283,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
What percent of Black people will admit amongst other black people that they listen to music other than hip-hop, r&b, reggae, or soull music?........i am a white american...get along with everyone but i admit to liking rap music which is perdominatly black....and i will admit to listening to reggae or latin music....i just care about how it sounds........i am just wondering why it is when you get a group of black kids together that they are afraid to say they listen to rock or techno or latin music?....i know there are individuals that don't care what they say they listen to but the majority of blacks think its uncool to admit to liking anything but the hip-hop station or r&b......that's close minded to me or its just being insecure.....and dont tell me the majority aren't like that and i am not being racist ....if i was racist i would have called someone a name or said they should sit in a different part of a bus....so stop with this thing you call racism nowadays because asking a truthfull question isnt racist
See my previous post, made right above yours.

And on another point, you said black 'kids'.
Try learning about black people from what ADULTS think.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 138,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT1212 View Post
Hey people, well unfortunately i live in Compton and this city has been having the most murder rates per capita in the untited states in most of the past and recent years. This city has roughly about 55% hispanics, 40% african-amercans, and less than 5% of pacific islanders, whites, and american indians. And well since ive been all over the US quite a bit, i have noticed definitely that us hispanics are the cause for the most dangerous crime, murders. im sorry but its true guys, we're the ones to blame for all these murders and tortures. Well living here in Compton i have seen some TERRIBLE things this place is a death sentence while there are not alot of rapes, robberies, etc, the most dangerous crimes, murders and tortures, happen all the time! It sucks because i know soo many people who died from a homocide, it angers me!
I think they go to another town for rape and robberies, Could that be true?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 AM

So you can't answer the question?.....i really dont hate black people at all.....i am around more blacks being in the south.....but i just wondered why "most" younger blacks from ghetto areas wont admit they like rock or anything else but hip-hop or r&b....im not just saying that blacks are this way but most young people.....i think u misunderstood.......or maybe i typed it in a wrong way but my question was basically saying why do more innercity people have so much pier pressure to say they like one style of music....i know its not true because some of my black friends admit to liking other stuff....and there are groups coming out with a mix of rock and rap and the groups are black.....and even some artists that are black will sometimes name off names of people that they listen to in which nobody would expect that in some situations.....my question is why are youth that are in the inner cities afraid to admit amongst thier friends that they will listen to something other than rap / hip - hop / r& b ?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 AM

P.S. .....i think a lot of black people are looking for racism in a simple question or action by someone that is white in america.....no matter what i do around a black person ....i always get the feeling that they are looking to find me doing something or saying something racist about them which is not even the case ....in alot of cases i will act or treat a white person the same way....and they will just say i am being an a-hole but a black person will say i am racist.....why?....it would be better not to judge every word out of our mouths as racist because it is a waste of energy....i dont hate or believe at all that what blacks went through in the past is right.....to be real there are things put in me as steriotyping in my mind that i was raised with by living in America and the same goes for blacks against whites too....there are so many stereotypes against whites too.....and we all joke about things ....but in the end in my heart i know me personally....i wouldnt go out of my way to treat someone bad just because they were a different race and i have made racial remarks but i am learning the more i am around other races of how they are just like me and what the cultural differences are.....we are only human so dont judge everything we say or do....that is for god......now if i try to hurt someone from another race then you can judge .....but words might just come from being misinformed on both sides

Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 78,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Yep, have to agree that was totally random, very cool, and also made me wonder what it would be like with 16 people . . . I wonder what sort of race etc they would be, what sort of church or religion, what their houses would look like.

But sorry CPT1212 we digress . . . it is very sad what is happening in Compton. Yet as Future cop mentioned the crime rate going down is a positive development and if they can do it once, it is patternable, so let's hope what ever new policies, hiring, community efforts that impacted this crime reduction continues. My blessings to you, your family, and all of those in your neighborhood. It must be very sad and stressful.
LOL, the OP isn't even from Compton. He's just a kid who thinks it's cool to live in "da hood". I bet he's white and live in an middle class white suburb in Iowa or something. Look, his username includes CPT and the facts he said was obviously from this site. He probably like to listen to NWA and then dreamt about being from Compton.

Be true to yourself kid!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,514,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirak_90 View Post
To be honest I'm pretty sure u don't live in Compton and never have been. U are just saying some of the facts from this site like

"This city has roughly about 55% hispanics, 40% african-amercans, and less than 5% of pacific islanders, whites, and american indians."

And

"while there are not alot of rapes, robberies, etc, the most dangerous crimes, murders and tortures, happen all the time!"

I'm a Hip-Hop fan and which forum I ever visit there are always kids who say that they're from Compton. They think it's cool to be from Compton and since it's Internet everybody can make up everything.

And u are obviously one of them. Some may not see it but I can figure that out just that easy...
i worked in compton for several years in the 90s, and what the O/P wrote sounds pretty accurate to me. s/he didn't appear to be boasting about it, so i don't know what would cause you to think that this person thinks it is "cool" to be from the city that boasted the most murders in the state last year. (i'm unsure of the national stats, so i won't cite them.)

Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 AM

11 posts, read 78,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i worked in compton for several years in the 90s, and what the O/P wrote sounds pretty accurate to me. s/he didn't appear to be boasting about it, so i don't know what would cause you to think that this person thinks it is "cool" to be from the city that boasted the most murders in the state last year. (i'm unsure of the national stats, so i won't cite them.)
As I said, the facts he said was just from this site.
I have never been in Compton but still I know so many things about it like:

1. Blacks used to be majority there but hispanics are majorities nowadays

2. Even though it's dangerous today Compton was much worse during the crack epidemic with 1993 as it's peak with 90 as murder rate.

3. The city is enough safe during the days while u shouldn't even thinking of driving through there during night.

4. About 13.5% of the inhabitants are unemployed

etc.

And the biggest reason I know that he lies is because he said that there are a lot of murders while there aren't that many rapes. How can he know that there aren't many rapes unless he just checked the reports on this site? And I'm pretty sure the rape rate is much higher than the crime report says because a lot of them don't get reported. It's pretty obvious this kid just looked at the facts on this site and then says he's from Compton.

Anyway, you all may still have doubts but I guess I just can't convince you. Doesn't matter that much though, good bye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles