Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM

57 posts, read 187,111 times

Advertisements

Can you guys list some website that I can browse for apartments in LA. I'd prefer by area, like apartments.com does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,658,855 times
Craigslist is great, and while you can't browse by specific neighborhood, you can search by San Gabriel Valley, central LA, SF valley, etc. A lot of rentals get listed there. Westside rentals is another big one (and not just for the westside), but you have to pay for a membership.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Craigslist is great, and while you can't browse by specific neighborhood, you can search by San Gabriel Valley, central LA, SF valley, etc. A lot of rentals get listed there. Westside rentals is another big one (and not just for the westside), but you have to pay for a membership.
hmm, thanks, I just started looking on craigslist. I need a list of areas to avoid.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,710,669 times
first find where you're working, then we can help you with that

Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,568,203 times
Craiglist is not reliable. There is always some weirdos and creeps either trying to get some sex or trying to get your money. And once you find a good deal on there, there is no picture and no adress of the apartment. Your left to wonder what it looks like. That's why I don't trust craiglist.

I check these 2 reliable professional websites all the time:

Apartmentguide.com
Forrent.com

I also check these two in additon to the Apartments.

Apartmentratings.com - I use this one to check EVERY single apartment I look at. Even with professional apartment websites, you can never trust just pictures and a good price. You MUST check what other former and present tenants have said about it in order to know if your getting gyped or something.

Googlemaps.com - Don't forget to googlemap every apartment you choose. Simply because the apartment price may be good, the reviews are good, but you find out it's located conviently in the middle of the ghetto. That's why I always Google Map.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM

I've had good luck finding rentals through Craigslist, and so have my friends. There are weirdos there, but usually the scams are pretty obvious. You can also choose to look at only apartments with photos, if that's what you prefer. Looking at multiple sites is a good idea, as is checking out the address on Google Maps before you waste your time setting up a time go to see it in person. Still, one would lose out on options if they altogether ignored Craigslist. One nice thing about Craigslist is that it also includes smaller rentals in addition to the larger complexes that seem to dominate the other free rental sites.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,457,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
Can you guys list some website that I can browse for apartments in LA. I'd prefer by area, like apartments.com does it.
rent.com
rent.net
apartmentguide.com
forrent.com

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
first find where you're working, then we can help you with that
I'm not sure where I'll be working yet.

thanks for all the links and info guys.

many thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Craiglist is not reliable. There is always some weirdos and creeps either trying to get some sex or trying to get your money. And once you find a good deal on there, there is no picture and no adress of the apartment. Your left to wonder what it looks like. That's why I don't trust craiglist.

I check these 2 reliable professional websites all the time:

Apartmentguide.com
Forrent.com

I also check these two in additon to the Apartments.

Apartmentratings.com - I use this one to check EVERY single apartment I look at. Even with professional apartment websites, you can never trust just pictures and a good price. You MUST check what other former and present tenants have said about it in order to know if your getting gyped or something.

Googlemaps.com - Don't forget to googlemap every apartment you choose. Simply because the apartment price may be good, the reviews are good, but you find out it's located conviently in the middle of the ghetto. That's why I always Google Map.
can you usually tell if its a safe area by street view? of course it would be wise to research it more, but if your browsing though place after place on craigslist for example, can you get a good idea if its a good area from street views?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
can you usually tell if its a safe area by street view?
No, not usually. There are some apartments and streets that look perfectly nice from the outside, but are in neighborhoods that have a lot of problems. It's still useful to see an exterior photo (and one not taken by the owner), but don't depend on that alone. I think not renting a place without seeing it in person first is the ideal situation in any city, but it seems even more important in LA than in many places, especially if you don't know the area well to begin with. Still, it's useful to see the place in context of its neighbors, especially if you're doing your initial search from somewhere else and don't have the luxury of driving by to check it out before calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles