U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,290 times
Default Can anybody help me please? With my stay in LA

Hi im comming from England with my 17 year old daughter,im not driving. Im going to be staying at the travel lodge in hollywood how easy is it to get from lax airprt to hollywood? by bus? train? also would really lilke to then go to mailbu there is a travel lodge there to can i do that by train bus etc need to book soon as alrady got flights if any can help i would be really gratefull thank u .....
karen
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
all of your travels will be possible by bus/train, however, they will take a long time. Depending on the part of Malibu that you are looking to visit, it is at least 20 miles away, which would probably equate to 2 hours by bus. as for travel from lax to hollywood, you'll want to get on one of the "FlyAway" buses that goes to downtown/union station. from there you can take the red line subway to hollywood. good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,259,380 times
yes, you will be ok using rapid transit but it will not be anything like England. I am not evern sure you will be able to bring your luggage on the buses, I am sure someone else will be able to help you. As for staying in Travel Lodges, I will not make a comment on that, just make sure you have done some research on the location and the rating of them.

enjoy your trip to Los Angeles.

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 PM

10,039 posts, read 14,346,493 times
Getting to Malibu by public transportation will not be easy, and at the very least will take a lot of time. It's not really a bus-friendly kind of place.

Getting to Hollywood from LAX, though, is very easy, and you'll have no trouble getting around to most in-town locations from there. Follow BRinSM's suggestion to take the Flyaway to Union Station and from there the Red Line to Hollywood. Is that the Travelodge on Hollywood near Vermont? If so, that's not the central Hollywood area you may be thinking. If it is that location you'll get off at the Hollywood and Vermont Station, and the hotel's just a very short walk away. That's within a short walk of all sorts of great stuff in the Los Felis neighborhood, most of which starts up a couple of blocks to the north of the Travelodge (which is by the hospital). You can hop back on either a bus or the subway to get to the core of tourist Hollywood (Walk of Fame, etc.).

And yes, you can bring your luggage on the bus or train. The Flyaway is geared towards airport travelers, so that will be very easy. The Red Line can get crowded at times, but it's also easy to wheel your stuff right on and off the train. All the stations have elevators, so you won't have to haul your bags up the steps. As far as regular buses, you can bring your suitcases on them, but depending on how crowded they are it could be a hassle. Definitely doable, though.

If you're not driving, and don't want to rent a car, then unless you have some pressing desire to see Malibu specifically, I'd pass that up on this trip. You can still get a beach experience by going to Santa Monica (easily accessible by bus) or one of the other LA-area beaches more easily served by more convenient public transportation, or even take a day trip by train to somewhere like San Clemente or Santa Barbara or somewhere. You can get to those places by train, and they're a nice change of pace from LA.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Getting to Malibu by public transportation will not be easy, and at the very least will take a lot of time. It's not really a bus-friendly kind of place.

Getting to Hollywood from LAX, though, is very easy, and you'll have no trouble getting around to most in-town locations from there. Follow BRinSM's suggestion to take the Flyaway to Union Station and from there the Red Line to Hollywood. Is that the Travelodge on Hollywood near Vermont? If so, that's not the central Hollywood area you may be thinking. If it is that location you'll get off at the Hollywood and Vermont Station, and the hotel's just a very short walk away. That's within a short walk of all sorts of great stuff in the Los Felis neighborhood, most of which starts up a couple of blocks to the north of the Travelodge (which is by the hospital). You can hop back on either a bus or the subway to get to the core of tourist Hollywood (Walk of Fame, etc.).

And yes, you can bring your luggage on the bus or train. The Flyaway is geared towards airport travelers, so that will be very easy. The Red Line can get crowded at times, but it's also easy to wheel your stuff right on and off the train. All the stations have elevators, so you won't have to haul your bags up the steps. As far as regular buses, you can bring your suitcases on them, but depending on how crowded they are it could be a hassle. Definitely doable, though.

If you're not driving, and don't want to rent a car, then unless you have some pressing desire to see Malibu specifically, I'd pass that up on this trip. You can still get a beach experience by going to Santa Monica (easily accessible by bus) or one of the other LA-area beaches more easily served by more convenient public transportation, or even take a day trip by train to somewhere like San Clemente or Santa Barbara or somewhere. You can get to those places by train, and they're a nice change of pace from LA.
[i] am sure your advice will come in handy for the OP. I just didn't know abut the luggage thing. Oh, I knew there would be no problems with the Flyaway, I wasn't sure about things like taking the bus to Malibu for instance. I haven't used public transportation in L.a. for years, but there was a time when, unless it fit on your lap you couldn't take it. In UK, they have special luggage areas on the buses and trains.

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM

10,039 posts, read 14,346,493 times
They let you bring pretty much anything on now, or at least that's been my experience. I've traveled with strollers, suitcases, strollers and suitcases -- definitely easiest on the trains/subways, but still possible on the bus.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Thank you all very much for your help,have already booked the hotel in malbu before i read your suggestions,have been told there is a train,that would go to mailbu so il look into that. karen

Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Default My LA visit

Thank you for all your help i feel much better now, only 1 week to go.
we are really looking forward to it.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,842,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasser View Post
Hi im comming from England with my 17 year old daughter,im not driving.
Whew! That's a relief!

The Atlantic can get pretty deep in spots

In all seriousness, good luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,122,733 times
well if you're going to be coming this weekend send me a PM i can pick you up and drop you off to hollywood, i live right near LAX airport.

as someone else said, yes you can take the bus or train but trust me with luggage and especially after spending so many hours in the air you will be really tired and it will be quite the hassle.

if you have any relatives get them to give you a ride otherwise PM me i'll give you a ride to hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles