U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

559 posts, read 1,123,576 times

Advertisements

The building in Downtown which houses the last remaining Clifton's Cafeteria is on sale. The cafeteria itself is not threatened for now as they will continue to lease the space. Still...

If you've never experienced Clifton's Brookdale, I'd highly recommend it. Although the food is generic cafeteria fare, the forest-themed interior (complete with waterfall) is unlike any other.

I never got to see the original South Seas location but it'd be a shame if L.A. lost Clifton's.

I debated whether to post this under the "Nostalgia" thread in the California forum but sent it here since it's L.A. specific and Clifton's is still around.

doka---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,775,220 times
I certainly hope they can stay in business at that location.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,343,963 times
ya, i hope they stay in business. the foods ok, and the prices have gone up, but i really enjoy heading there with my older generations(aunts, uncles) and hearing stories of downtown as it was in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

its a great space and i encourage eveyone to host a bday party for themselves in one of the rooms upstairs. invite some friends over of lunch and let them choose what they want to eat! cant get easier than that.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Though it was never my favorite cafeteria, it is a landmark, so I hope it stays around for 100 more years. It, Olvera Street, the Pantry and Phillipes. They all spell Los Angeles.

Nita

Old 10-21-2009, 02:05 AM

559 posts, read 1,123,576 times
Default Clifton's featured on Huell Howser

I realize that thread bumping is considered bad form but I think this is a relevant update.

A new episode of "Visiting with Huell Howser" had the topic of "survivors" and featured 2009 updates of older segments on Clifton's and The Pantry.

I don't know if the episode was filmed before or after the announcement of the sale of the Clifton's building but it emphasized that Clifton's (and the Pantry) were not "sellouts" and in it for the long haul.

The Clifton's update showed a third floor of the cafeteria, which I had no idea existed. It houses a large dining room which looks nothing like the first two floors and features a mini-museum.

Worth a look if you get a chance.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
The building in Downtown which houses the last remaining Clifton's Cafeteria is on sale. The cafeteria itself is not threatened for now as they will continue to lease the space. Still...

If you've never experienced Clifton's Brookdale, I'd highly recommend it. Although the food is generic cafeteria fare, the forest-themed interior (complete with waterfall) is unlike any other.

I never got to see the original South Seas location but it'd be a shame if L.A. lost Clifton's.

I debated whether to post this under the "Nostalgia" thread in the California forum but sent it here since it's L.A. specific and Clifton's is still around.

doka---
I guess everything eventually changes, but oh, you are so right. Golly I don't know how many friends I had who worked at Cliftons while still in high school and how many times we enjoyed the experience. Oh, and the pies, sooooooooogooooooood. Let's hope it doesn't become a memory only.

Why not post this on nostalgia as well?

Nita

Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,775,220 times
I'd kill for a Clifton's chicken enchilada right about now. They're so big they're almost in burrito country.
Good custard pie as well.

I like going to the place with my granddaughter, the 5th generation of our family to enjoy their food.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM

274 posts, read 828,880 times
i love this place too- the museum upstairs os really touching- their founding vision of what the place shold be is just beautiful and so different from the more usual- it is all about making money- people are irrelevant idea.

Hope it does not go- it is a must for a visit to LA-can you imagine how amazing it must have been when it first opened- the forerunner of the themed restaurant.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM

305 posts, read 822,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

doka---
It is a wonderful place to go to lunch.
Take your kids, your out of towners, or just yourselves for a way fun blast from the past.
Nothing like it!
Seriously.
:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles