Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times

Advertisements

My husband and I make $70,000 combined and we live in a tiny one bedroom apt in a decent part of town with no children. We rarely go out to eat and we don't have tv, gym membership, one car is really old and my husband fixes it himself. We don't go on vacations either. I make dinner every night to save money and we are barely making ends meet. If we wanted to buy a house and raise a family here, we would need double what we make now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Well you have to really want to be here as to have any kind of life style and not live in a crime ridden neighborhood, you need a really good income, of at least 150,000 per year to begin to have a life here. The problem is the state government is corrupt and out of control in spending and is now punishing the residents by inventing ways to fee us to death.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
With living in LA, you've got to *Really* be on the ball with money. It's probably the worst place to live in the country if you can't manage money well.

-There's a flakey factor. I can't put my finger on it, but you don't see it in many other parts of the country. People didnt buy 5 or 6 homes they couldnt afford in the midwest. Here, there's sort of this new age belief, if you just "believe" home prices will go up, they will!

A lot of unfounded faith drives finances here. It's easy to put things off, turn on entertainment tonight, and forget about your problems. I bet people have more unopened credit card bills here than in other parts of the country. LA can run over people if you arent careful.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,954 times
It all depends on what really makes you happy.

I had my own apartment in the middle of downtown...I'm currently working at a really good job that supplies me with at least $600 of extra money each month after bills and food and gas. But personally...none of that really makes me happy. My passion is my music and traveling. So i have no problem leaving it all behind to move to L.A. this summer. I've saved up enough to pay all my rent and other bilss for 6 months...i'll be staying with a few other people in a house...i'll have no job initially...and no real friends or family nearby...but that is fine by me

many people feel pressured to make "The Good Life" they were told about growing up....wife..house..kids..nice car..etc

none of that stuff is on my list of things to accomplish in life...i just need a place to sleep safely..some food..and plenty of opportunities to expose my music.

So..according to the things i want to do in life...as soon as i get to cali..i'll be living the good life...dont need to go lease a lexus..dont need the finest threads imported from far away lands

the good life just includes me and my music...done deal

[mod cut: advertising/manual signatures not allowed)

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 05-09-2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
With living in LA, you've got to *Really* be on the ball with money. It's probably the worst place to live in the country if you can't manage money well.

-There's a flakey factor. I can't put my finger on it, but you don't see it in many other parts of the country. People didnt buy 5 or 6 homes they couldnt afford in the midwest. Here, there's sort of this new age belief, if you just "believe" home prices will go up, they will!
LOLOL! I had to laugh at the above, because it is so true! I also admit that I believe in metaphysics (or the Law of Attraction as they call it today) as well, but I'm also a REALIST about the world we live in too.

Quote:
A lot of unfounded faith drives finances here. It's easy to put things off, turn on entertainment tonight, and forget about your problems. I bet people have more unopened credit card bills here than in other parts of the country. LA can run over people if you arent careful.
Again, agree with the bolded. I know a woman that is clearly struggling financially, but always seems to find money to buy shoes that are on sale and justify paying $250 for a Michael Kors bag. It's not just her. I need shoes and clothes too, but I know that my rent and expenses come first, THEN basic luxuries.

Sometimes I wonder if it's me being cheap or too careful with my money, but then I turn on the news to hear the grim unemployment statistics and I know I'm doing the right thing.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LOLOL! I had to laugh at the above, because it is so true! I also admit that I believe in metaphysics (or the Law of Attraction as they call it today) as well, but I'm also a REALIST about the world we live in too.

Again, agree with the bolded. I know a woman that is clearly struggling financially, but always seems to find money to buy shoes that are on sale and justify paying $250 for a Michael Kors bag. It's not just her. I need shoes and clothes too, but I know that my rent and expenses come first, THEN basic luxuries.

Sometimes I wonder if it's me being cheap or too careful with my money, but then I turn on the news to hear the grim unemployment statistics and I know I'm doing the right thing.
It's weird. I've known people in LA who believe in new age type things...tony robbins, nlp, metaphysics, law of attraction type stuff. It's funny, in LA, you can find a group of people who will confirm that home prices are going to go up! You don't just need to believe it, you can find 12 other people who believe it too.

Some of them struggle bad with money. I don't know if a lot of these beliefs make you grounded. They may help you in some ways, but they don't make you grounded with money.

Contrast it with other parts of the country where people are much more grounded, and more rooted in fundamentals (only spending what you can afford, etc). I think some new age stuff can confuse you, about what is money, what isn't, what should I do, etc. Some people I know into this stuff can find money to go to seminars, but cant find money to move into a better apartment or condo.

I think the culture of LA is a real whirlwind. If you're at the tail end of it, or at the front, you can be left behind.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 AM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Los Angeles is a city full of posers and very desperate people, PERIOD!!!!!

And I mean desperate in all forms whether it is the kid who moves to Hollywood to try to make it on the big screen to the illegal aliens.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 PM

142 posts, read 442,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Los Angeles is a city full of posers and very desperate people, PERIOD!!!!!

And I mean desperate in all forms whether it is the kid who moves to Hollywood to try to make it on the big screen to the illegal aliens.

And which category are you in?

Yeah, we also have a lot of delusional crackpots who make broad sweeping generalizations about an entire metropolis.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
I truly believe that one of the reasons people struggle to live in Southern CA is because they make purchases that are not necessary. They buy things they don't even need. The same thing could probably be said of other major cities in this country. But in regards to L.A./S. CA many people also move there because they think they will make it really big as a movie star when the reality paints a different picture. The reality is that most people who try to get into acting and make big bucks don't make it. Many also move to L.A. because of the constant sunny weather. I'll tell you this: sunny weather doesn't help you advance in your career nor does it help you pay the bills. Its amazing what kind of life people can live if they are careful with their money even in a place like Southern CA. If you want to live frugally you can. You would just have to give up some of the luxuries. You won't be able to eat out twice a day. There would be no going to concerts every day. You would also have to consider giving up your car and taking public transportation although not all people living in L.A. can do it because of their circumstances. But what about all the unnecessary purchases some people make? Cut back on those and you'll see how much less stressed you'll be. Yes, this part of the country is generally expensive because of the high rents. But it doesn't have to be such a struggle to live here.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,167 times
I really like the weather here but the high cost living is really depressing. If the economy doesn't improve, the people who still have jobs will be paying more taxes in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles