Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 22,317 times

Advertisements

The information on this discussion board has really been useful in narrowing down a place to live. I'm going to be moving to the LA area in a few months (but won't get a chance to fly out before then) and I've decided on somewhere in Pasadena. I'm a female soon-to-be-former grad student in my late 20s. Are there any parts of Pasadena that I should focus on (or, alternately, avoid)? So far, I've looking in particular at places around the Fillmore gold line stop/Glenarm St. and the Caltech/PCC campuses. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
Pasadena is a sensational place to live. There are a plethora of places to live near the gold line. Where you live of course depends entirely upon your budget. Are you buying or renting? How much can you afford? There are tons and tons of places. Are you looking for modern or old and charming? I lived in an older place in Old Pas and loved it. Tell me your budget and I'll help you proceed.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
I lived in a great little hidden place on Magnolia Street off Green St. in Pasadena years ago. I think is still there, they were townhouses with a little courtyard.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 22,317 times
I'm hoping to rent a studio or 1BR for $1000-1200. As for old vs. new, I really don't have a preference either way. I'll be working a couple blocks from the center of Old Pasadena. Thanks.

Last edited by notdizzy; 04-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 05-01-2007, 07:21 PM

13 posts, read 91,489 times
I live in Pasadena, and the general advice is to avoid living in the quadrant of town that is N of the 210 and W of Lake Ave. This is a bit of an overgeneralization, as there are plenty of nice people who live in that part of town, which is one of the few parts of Pasadena where a small house might just barely still be affordable for a typical middle-class person. But I think it is safe to say that you should avoid taking a cheap apartment in that area.

As a fellow soon-to-be-former grad student, I can tell you that you should be able to find a studio or 1bedroom for $1000-1200, but you may have to look hard for a good one.
Also, you mentioned the Filmore gold line station: you may know this already, but the area west of that station is mostly commerical/industrial for a few blocks, so you'll probably only be finding housing in the blocks to the east of there. You may also want to check out South Pasadena, which also has some nice residential areas near the Gold line, if thats what you are looking for. But its kind of pricey there.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdizzy View Post
The information on this discussion board has really been useful in narrowing down a place to live. I'm going to be moving to the LA area in a few months (but won't get a chance to fly out before then) and I've decided on somewhere in Pasadena. I'm a female soon-to-be-former grad student in my late 20s. Are there any parts of Pasadena that I should focus on (or, alternately, avoid)? So far, I've looking in particular at places around the Fillmore gold line stop/Glenarm St. and the Caltech/PCC campuses. Thanks.

if you like old architecture and want to be close to the gold line, try the area of so pasadena that is near mission ave, west of fair oaks, north of huntington drive, south of the 110. you could catch the gold line, walk to the pavilions or vons grocery stores, walk to buster's, starbucks coffee. there is also an old art deco like theater that shows movies on fair oaks bl. it is a very safe nrighborhood with downtown pasadena 1/2 mile north. good luck. i'm glad to see that professional people are still moving to cali instead of moving out.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:40 PM

76 posts, read 243,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'm glad to see that professional people are still moving to cali instead of moving out.
I hope you're not glad because hardly any such people still do! I am moving there with my wife and two young boys this July, my company transferred me to our downtown LA sales office. Frankly, I can't wait, though I'd be lying if I said some of the negative posts here (which seem 100% genuine) we're making me apprehensive...

This is an awesome forum, but I sure hope those who are positive are a lot more right than the negative!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

26 posts, read 135,145 times
South East, South West, and North East Pasadena are great places to live. Stay away from North West Pasadena. Pasadena has a great bus and light rail system. But it is pricey. I know there was a previous poster that said $1100 is doable. I wouldn't be so sure. More like $1200-1500 for studios and 1bd in the areas you mentioned. Look on craigslist and the pennysaver for listings. you can also contact coldwell banker realty any of the pasadena offices they often list residential rentals on the mls system. bryant companies in south pasadena also has TONS of apartment rentals they're located in south pasadena but list all over pasadena and adjacent areas.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
Here's the chapest studio in Pasadena. I know the building, it's cute 40's with a colonial flair but you're basically in Old Pas. This will go fast.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/326848155.html (broken link)
and the whole list:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...1200&bedrooms=

Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 AM

615 posts, read 856,254 times
I have to agree with kidpsych and back_east. I would say that East Pasadena is probably the best area of Pasadena to live in.

I was apt. hunting last year in Pasadena, but found an apartment in Sierra Madre (about 5-10 mins from East Pasadena) for $1200. These apartments were along Sierra Madre Blvd./San Gabriel to Sierra Madre Blvd./Baldwin. ON Sierra Madre Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles